Victor HA-FW10000: 10th Anniversary model
Jan 18, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #301 of 1,217
That's one way to look at it. I happen to prefer the more neutral signature of the WM1A, and ZX300 over the 1Z after listening to all 3 back to back to back.
WM1A is the safe bet out of all the SONY daps, itll pair well with pretty much everything. If you happen to buy the FW10000, you would be wise to listen to David and not spend money on the 1Z.
To each his own.
What cable do you use with FW10000? I wish JVC release the stock cable in 4.4mm format, I'm tempted to have mine modified.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #303 of 1,217
@davidmolliere can answer that. When he wakes up :ksc75smile:

Well I didn’t get to sleep yet thanks to the R6 Pro :p

Hiby r6 pro better than 1Z ...come on....when will this stop...top iem with top daps then mid fi source is better... headfi is getting nuts....people are never satisfied ...and them make mistakes...i know because i allready made my own mistakes ...but never again...the way is up not down

First I never said R6 Pro is better than 1Z, and I prefer not to think in terms of black and white and absolutes. I wrote that the 1Z still has the edge on layering and soundstage, but clarity and transparency sorry the R6 Pro does have the edge. They are tuned differently as well. Many swear by the SP1000 but for all its qualities I don’t like its tuning it doesn’t work for me and my IEMs/headphones (yes, there is that too, synergy !). Haven’t heard LPGT or N8 and would be curious to.

Second, I know we tend to be biased by prices but I know what I am hearing and I fell into the trap of the only way is up and I can tell, past a certain point it’s definitely not necessarily the path. Trust your ears and know your tastes.

A bit of context... the path I was on when getting the R6 Pro and selling 1Z is stacking. It didn’t make sense to me to keep 1Z as a transport for the Micro BL or stacked with ALO CV5. An amp will give you headroom and dynamics a DAP will struggle providing, especially 1Z. I loved the ZX2 but in the end I sold it as it lacked power. The reasoning was R6 Pro should be good enough on the go for non critical listening, and would be great transport with fast UI, great screen and a great source for LO since it’s neutrally tuned.

I never expected the R6 Pro to be that good on its own. The amp section is probably a big reason why, as well as a mature and refined tuning that regardless of price, like @Hawaiibadboy I feel is one of the best. As he said, blind test between R6 Pro and TOTL DAPs and you might be surprised. There is something to be said about keeping an open mind. The market might go nuts and prices soar but we loose perspective.

I have gone up and up, VE8, LCD i4, KSE1500 but I would pick the lesser priced Solaris and FW10000 over those (in fact I sold all of those except VE8 which is a CIEM). Price is not everything.

If I could afford to keep 1Z on top of the other things I own I would, Sony has built an exceptional device with exceptional battery life and been smart enough to update its firmware to keep it in the game with BT receiver to be able to listen to streaming platform indirectly. It has a unique sound, but others can build great DAP as well and not only 3/4K DAPs :p

There is room for android powered, open system and connected DAPs. I loved Sony ZX2 for that reason it was best in class back then. The R6 Pro is a welcome addition to the likes of DX150, DX200, X7 II.

Synergy with the FW10000 is better with R6 Pro, that’s my opinion because it smoothens out the sibilance and harshness issues I have encountered.

What cable do you use with FW10000? I wish JVC release the stock cable in 4.4mm format, I'm tempted to have mine modified.

Yeah I wish as well, since this cable is great I love it. Right now I use single ended.

I have tried the Hansound Zen 8 wires with the FW10000, balanced 4.4.
It’s nice but not the best synergy.

I am looking at ALO Gold 16 wires (gold plated copper)... I’d love to jump for a PW 1960 4 wires as I think it would match the FW10000 perfectly as some reported. This cable is the most impressive I have ever listened to (tried it on the VE8 and Phantom). But the price is insane...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #304 of 1,217
The 1z has one of the worst amp.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #306 of 1,217
Also I would agree with @davidmolliere about pretty much everything he said.
The WM1A and WM1Z have very similar soundstages, the 1A has really good transparency and instrument separation, it's very easy to see your way through a composition. Stage depth and width are very nice, this is pretty much what it has above the ZX300.
The 1Z has better layering and textures. This can work with many iems, and work really well. On some iems though the tuning can push the sound into a harsh territory.
I wouldn't consider the WM1Z an upgrade over the WM1A, it's a different flavor, and the comparison is not that simple.
That is why many people have both.
Trust your ears above anything else, always:wink:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #307 of 1,217
What ...i am wise to listen with my ears i have a 1Z , a sp1000cu and they are top Daps , i don't need to listen to anyone , opinions are diferent from people to people , and i respect but don't agree with some, 1 Z has a great sound with a great build, is a top Dap i ear ir WITHOUT EQ if the dap don't sounds good without it is bull

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #308 of 1,217
What ...i am wise to listen with my ears i have a 1Z , a sp1000cu and they are top Daps , i don't need to listen to anyone , opinions are diferent from people to people , and i respect but don't agree with some
Off topic, but both of those daps way over rated soundwise. They are great to look at. The 10K has a great sound.

Jan 19, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #310 of 1,217
So I got a good deal on the ALO audio Gold 16 cable, a 16 wire gold plated copper cable I can’t wait to check how it helps the FW10000 go even further :D

Jan 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #311 of 1,217
Well I didn’t get to sleep yet thanks to the R6 Pro :p

Synergy with the FW10000 is better with R6 Pro, that’s my opinion because it smoothens out the sibilance and harshness issues I have encountered.

The sibilance and harshness would be greatly reduced with run in, WM1Z may sound much better with FW10000 after some more time, you can look forward to the changes of FW10000.

Anyway, I am happy listening with my WM1a in balanced now~

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #312 of 1,217
The sibilance and harshness would be greatly reduced with run in, WM1Z may sound much better with FW10000 after some more time, you can look forward to the changes of FW10000. Anyway, I am happy listening with my WM1a in balanced now~

Well maybe but I doubt it will totally remove it, my 1Z is well over the 400 hours mark as well and the FW10000 now around 150 hours.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #314 of 1,217
That harshness is FW10000 fault, not 1Z , i have the same Diana Krall recording in my 2 daps and no harshness on ie800s and JH Diana
It's not a fault of either one of them. They are not a good match together. (Tuning on the iem and DAP are not compatible )
So you have to decide to keep one or the other, or use a different DAP with the JVC iem.
Don't take it personally :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #315 of 1,217
That harshness is FW10000 fault, not 1Z , i have the same Diana Krall recording in my 2 daps and no harshness on ie800s and JH Diana

Same harshness out of the iFi audio Micro BL (dac and amp) so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back