Vibrapods Review
Nov 7, 2001 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
Well, I've done some comparisons of the Sony C333ES with and without vibrapods. This is really strange, but it sounds a whole lot better with vibration isolation. I was really skeptical because I thought that there wasn't much (if any) external vibration because I am using headphones. Further, I thought a 25lb CDP would dampen any mechanical vibrations. Well, I was wrong. Vibrapods are real. No voodoo, no snakeoil. Four Vibrapods runs $24 and that's a great deal for the all around tightening of the sound.

PS, despite claims, they do nothing to things that don't move ie, your headphone amp.

Nov 8, 2001 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 24
With Jon. The first thing I did with my 333 when it arrived last week was to put in five redbook CD's I was intimately familiar with. 1. Dire Straits - Love Over Gold, 2. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, MFSL Remaster, 3. Eagles - Hotel California, DCC remaster, 4. Rachmaninov - Symphony #2, Andrew Litton, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and 5. The Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity sessions. It sounded much better than my previous Rotel 855/CAL Gamma, primarily in midrange clarity, bass extension, and temporal fidelity. I then removed the stock feet and replaced them with #3 vibrapods. I immediately noticed a much enhanced midrange with the same 5 CD's. Next I applied a clamp on the top cover with a sheet of sorbothane and some oak boards held down via my racks threaded rods. Upon listening to the same five CD's I noticed an increased clarity (not necesarily an extension) in the treble. This reinforced my previous experiences that CD reproduction appears to be very sensitive to vibrational distortion. As always this is IMHO and YMMV depending on the specific components in your system. Constructive flaming is now welcomed.

P.S. I sort of agree with Jon on the amp observation. Vibrapods had no significant improvement over the stock feet on my McCormack MID. However they did significantly improve the tautness of the bass on the Adcom 565 amps in my living room system. Therefore, I suggest an open mind and a willingness to experiment as the best approach.

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 24
I haven't tried the vibropods yet, but have had similar experience with AQ Sorbofeet. About the only thing they could be damping is vibration from the motor spinning the disc...but that could very well be affecting the performance of the laser in a CDP. There's a very clear improvement in the high end and midrange with the feet in place.

Hmm...I've got an extra set of the small feet, and a sudden urge to try them with my CT-470...why are those men in white coats banging on my door???
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 24
I thought I was kidding when I wrote the last part of my previous post, however, if motor vibration is what these isolators are damping, a lightweight PDCP has more to gain than a larget unit. So, I did indeed put four of the Audioquest small Sorbothane feet on my CT-470 (the amazing thing is that there was room for all of them on the bottom of the player). It normally sits on top of my RA-1 in a travel bag, so this just made it sit higher in the bag.

It worked. Very definite enhancement of dynamics. Better instrument separation. Audible improvement throughout the audio spectrum. I'm keeping it this way. However, in order to pull this off, you need to have your portable system in a big case...this really wouldn't work for jogging
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 24
Hi,

IMHO, Vibrapods are not very good. They are very cheap but they dull out the sound and limit extension everywhere!!!!

I have used them extensively and never found them to be a benefit to any equipment.

My suggestion is to get SSC pucks for speaker isolation, - they also make a great platform for CD players, - and get Aurios or Symposium roller blocks for CD players.

These pucks are cheap, - $218 for 8, - and they provide killer extension and definition throughout the sonic range. I have bookshelf speakers and I use them between the speaker stands and the floor.

I recently purchased new speakers that just sit on top of the speaker stands. (Previously, my older bookshelf speakers had allen bolts that screwed into the speaker stands). For several months I used Vibrapods between the speakers and the tops of the stands, - this was stupid. I went out and and bought another set of 8 SSC pucks and the difference was unbelievably better. I will never use another Vibrapod.

Since they are so cheap, they may be better than no isolation at all, - but I've never really heard them make an improvement.

Thanks,

Nov 9, 2001 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by sordidman
Hi,

IMHO, Vibrapods are not very good. They are very cheap but they dull out the sound and limit extension everywhere!!!!

I have used them extensively and never found them to be a benefit to any equipment.

My suggestion is to get SSC pucks for speaker isolation, - they also make a great platform for CD players, - and get Aurios or Symposium roller blocks for CD players.

These pucks are cheap, - $218 for 8, - and they provide killer extension and definition throughout the sonic range. I have bookshelf speakers and I use them between the speaker stands and the floor.

I recently purchased new speakers that just sit on top of the speaker stands. (Previously, my older bookshelf speakers had allen bolts that screwed into the speaker stands). For several months I used Vibrapods between the speakers and the tops of the stands, - this was stupid. I went out and and bought another set of 8 SSC pucks and the difference was unbelievably better. I will never use another Vibrapod.

Since they are so cheap, they may be better than no isolation at all, - but I've never really heard them make an improvement.

Thanks,

Sordidman,

Vibrational damping between speakers and components is a very different scenario. I agree that vibrapods are not very good as speaker supports. I use a sheet of 50 durometer sorbothane to couple all my speakers to their stands. It works extremely well.

I much prefer vibrapods under my CDP's because they are more effective at damping the microvibrations from the spinning CD than any roller device. I have never tried the symposium but I sent the Aurios back because it actually caused major midrange smearing with my Rotel system. It was already long gone when my Sony arrived. Anyway different strokes ...

P.S. $27.25 each is not really what I call cheap but if it works for you that's all that matters.

Nov 9, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 24
Hi,

Good points for sure. That sounds right, - speaker dampening is probably much different than CD player dampening.

Comparitively, - SSC pucks are more expensive than Vibrapods for sure.

Maybe I should give the Vibrapods another try underneath the CD player. It's interesting that you thought the Vibrapods better than the Aurios and Rollerblocks. The most important thing is what the listener thinks.

Thanks, I'll give the Vibrapods another try.

Nov 17, 2001 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 24
Nice! Now ou make me feel like getting some. Should I get some for my amps too? They're Solid state.

Nov 17, 2001 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 24
There's mixed opinions as to whether or not they work on amps. I found no difference, but others do. Shoot, they're $6 each and proceeds go to charity. Just buy 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
There's mixed opinions as to whether or not they work on amps. I found no difference, but others do. Shoot, they're $6 each and proceeds go to charity. Just buy 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Where can I get them?

Nov 20, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 24
I just ordered a set from Audioadvisor.com. $24 for a set of four. Think they would help under a tube amp?

Bob
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back