Vibe Replacement
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Robust2

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

As my Vibes broke down for the second time yesterday and my warranty ended one month ago, I'm looking for new IEM's. What I'm looking for are durable (not like the Vibes..) and good sounding earbuds.
I always had the vibes on Treble Booster EQ on my iPod, so I'm not really a basshead. Music styles range from Hip-Hop, to DnB, to Rock, so a pretty versatile set would be nice. Budget goes from around 50 to MAX 70€ (I live in Belgium) but I don't mind ordering online if it's a trusted store.
Also, I really liked the Vibes since they weren't super isolating, I use my iPod almost every day on my bicycle, and I still like to hear a little bit what happens around me (and I hate having to turn the volume way up on busy roads with my replacement buds) so canal phones are a no-go.
Which set would be right for these demands?
Thanks in advance!

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Sorry, I don't have a good recommendation for you, but I can say that my vibes just broke and I switched to the triple.fi 10s and I'm loving them. I thought I would miss the way that the vibes let a little bit of sound in... and I do sometimes. It was nice that I had at least some idea what was going on around me. I love the triple.fis but you are right to worry about switching to something super isolating. Also, I think this guys thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...in-pk2-369643/
does a good job of describing the sound of the vibes. I didn't realize just how much I had become used to the vibes sound until I switched. Take a look at his description of the vibes at least as a starting point for finding what you want (the yuins would seem ideal if you wanted buds).

edit: also this thread might help you find something not overly isolating http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/c...ud-iem-369587/

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 9
same question here. lost my vibes, 3rd gen most likely. im looking for phones lower than $80. 150 cdn is about $133 usd. then again not sure if the prices are proportional. anyway I realize the vibes are hated here. comfort is a priority. the vibes were very comfortable. the looks were good. I enjoyed it not being too isolating. I have a zune. listen to indie/alternative/electro rock/trance. listen to more but i'm concerned about the listening experience with this type of music. if you are in the LA are indie 103 and kcrw are stations I listen to a lot. oh and the phones that came with the zune did not fit me. coudln't get them to stay in my ear.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Also note, in my little mini review, impressions are all post-EQed, so although they may not start out "flat" all are flat and on an equal playing field in the end. The downside is I am not describing them in their natural light, i.e. no EQing. With the tuning I did do, it should be pretty easy to work backwards and see where each headphone has its natural boosts and cuts. If you can't EQ these areas, it can be a problem.

In terms of out of the box performance, the Pk2 is a good option. It's nice not to have to EQ anything. This lets you plug into just about anything and get a good result right away. This is big win and a heavy lean by me towards the Yuin products. They seem to realize that they need a well balanced product from the start, and I applaud them for that. This is also partially why there is so much love for them.

So what about bass? Well, it's something I've really, really liked about the Vibes. Their low end response is great with excellent presence, space, fullness. They might not be as crisp and punctuated as some options, but they don't really do anything wrong and don't get muddy or disconnected or flutter unless you're really pushing them. I don't know if you're going to find anything with the same presentation. However, you will find other products that fair better in most other regards and that provide a crisper, tighter bass expereience.

I enjoy the Vibe's midrange and upper end, once EQed. They fair well, but they provide a laid back and smoother presence. Other headphones will give you a cleaner, more detailed, and more up front experience.

The PK2 is well balanced in most regards. It's tough not to like them. Maybe opt for the PK1 even. I know most suggest amping, but that really depends on your intended use. If you only listen to headphones quietly, you can get by very fine without the addition of an amp. If your listening environments are noisy, you may want to rethink the PK1 idea.

I just wish I could find a well balanced, well behaved, transparent set. The Denon my bro bought and I talked about in the review did well in that regard but oddly fell on its face for bass reproduction becoming boomy, overwhelming, and will little sense of separation or detail. For a device that does so well in the mid and high end, I don't get it. One thing I noticed is they didn't have very much for output before becoming distorted. My only guess is that the driver used is rather limited in excursion and possibly tuned in a compromise fashion, kind of like throwing a mid range driver in an overly tiny enclosure.

Balance like the Yuins but transparent like the Denon C700 would be awesome.

A lot of companies get close in certain aspects but somehow mess up everywhere else.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the reply's guys!
After some email conversation, V-Moda agreed to send me a new pair of Vibes, so I'm not really in need of new earbuds atm. Though I suspect the Vibes will break again, and I won't replace them for a third time, I'm still looking for decent alternatives.
Very isolating phones are really a turnoff for me, so the super fi's are a no-go.
Lots of people say only the first gen Vibes were decent, I've had the 1st gen and I think the third (not sure about that) and I really didn't notice that much difference between them. Though I agree the Vibe really needs some EQ'ing.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 9
I really wish the Vibes had better build. I'm looking to replace mine too, and I have some in mind. Yuin OK2 or PK1 (amped), or Grado SR80 (too bad it's an open can) and some others. Let us know what you settle on eventually, and your remarks
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 9
As I like to carry my iPod in my pocket, I'm not really looking for earbuds that need to be amped, or cans.
Yeah I know, lots of demands
tongue.gif
The Denon range looks interesting though!

My Vibes should be arriving Tuesday, I wonder if I'll notice any difference between my old and new pair (didn't have to send in my broken pair this time, couldn't do that with my 1st gen)

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Sadly I have to bump this thread again, I think I just killed my Vibes
frown.gif
Had to run to pick up the telephone, and the cable got stuck behind a doorknob, and I can't get any life in them now.
Don't think warranty will send me another pair after just one month, so I need new ones.
Any more suggestions?

Edit: Apparently V-moda released a new version of the Vibes with a 45° plug, anyone tested these yet?

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 9
I should just comment that I tried going back to my vibes a few times after the upgrade to triple.fis and now I understand why people talk so much trash about vibes. The sound of the vibes was bass heavy, muddy, and not very detailed on the highs. If I were you I would try moving on to a different manufacturer. If UE are out of your price range then you might be able to jump on the klipsh half off deal that lasts till the 30th and get some x5s (I don't remember if it is international or not)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back