Very Quick Question for iPod Owners..
Jul 31, 2004 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

steel102

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Is it possible to convert WMA to Apple Lossless? If so, how? I am considering getting an ipod 4g, but I have a bunch of songs in WMA and I don't want to transcode. Thanks a lot!

Jul 31, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 11
Yup, clearly he's handcuffed with the WMA format and merely wants to "move over". No clean way to do that, however probably something like DBPoweramp will convert/transcode with usual expected quality loss.

Jul 31, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 11
just import the WMA songs into iTunes. Just add them the same way as if you were adding any other music file. The tags should carry over very well too. iTunes will automatically convert them into Apple Lossless (if that is what is specified in iTunes). Converting from WMA to Apple Lossless should not result in any quality loss, just inflated file size. However, it is necessary if he wants to get those files to play on the iPod with no quality loss.

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 11
thank you, that is just what i needed to know. I downloaded itunes, but didn't figure out what to do. The files size should not be very inflated though since i'm already starting with a small file size(wma), correct?

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 11
It doesn't matter what file size currently is, I'm afraid you will still get some inflation :frowning2:

Aug 1, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supsup
umm...

Why do you want to convert from a lossy format to a lossless format?

The audio quality isn't going to improve, and the file size will increase.

as vranser said, "I" ripped some songs to wma, and lets just say I don't have access to the cd's anymore. I don't want to transcode to aac or mp3 and lose quality, so AL is my only option. thanks for all the prompt replies guys.

Aug 1, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
as vranser said, "I" ripped some songs to wma, and lets just say I don't have access to the cd's anymore. I don't want to transcode to aac or mp3 and lose quality, so AL is my only option. thanks for all the prompt replies guys.

you won't gain any quality just by going to AL...

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 11
yes i know! the point is that i wont lose any quality by transcoding to AL. I know I won't gain any quality, just that it will stay the same, which is what i want! Since the ipod doesn't play WMA, my only choice is to transcode to MP3, AAC, WAV, or AL. Both MP3 and AAC are lossy, so I don't want to transcode to those, because I would be going from lossy to even more lossy.

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Haha. I feel for you steel102.
frown.gif
I guess people have a hard time reading posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back