Very Portable, Very Analytical, Very Cheap?
Dec 20, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliasfox
Thanks to all of you that replied.

Ok, so down to two, with the Sharps being the overwhelming favorite. Just out of curiosity, are y'alls recommending the Sharps based on reputation or do you own them (and the EX71SL) and can give me a detailed overview of what I should expect? Because they're In-Ear, I'm not expecting an audition anywhere, so I want to be as sure as possible that they're what I want.

Yeah, I'd love to keep my HD-497s for portable use... if I can stuff that 10 ft cord in one pocket and the headphones in another... too much of a mess, and kind of negates one of the iPod's biggest benefits (size).

Also, where do you find the Sharps? The usual sources (eBay, Amazon, Headroom, Sharp homepage) didn't show the MD33.

The Shures never quite make it below $50, but if they were good I would've been willing to shell out an extra $10 to buy them- they can be found for $60 from time to time.

And as for volume... depends on what I'm listening to. I'm occassionally the guy conducting to the Beethoven Violin Concerto that's cranked up in my ears. Yeah, I'm that guy. Loud enough for the guy next to me to complain about the leakage from the HD-497s.

i have the sharp md33, sony ex71, shure e2c and senn mx400. the md33 are very efficient. its goes loud for a small volume. it also isolates fairly well, so its ideal for the classical music you listen to. the extension cable is included to convert 3-pole to 4-pole.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliasfox
How would spatialization and soundstage compare to my HD497 or Monsoons? I've heard that In-Ears are rather weak in that regard.

MD33s aren't as wonderful as he would have you believe. Don't get me wrong, they beat out everything in their price range, even E2s except for in the isolation department, but they aren't going to give you what you want, probably.

Really, nothing under 50 dollars will be analytical.

Dec 20, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #19 of 20
Well, as analytical and transparent as I'm used to. I've had the chance to audition HD-600s before, and yes, they're amazing. Very much so. But I can spend $300 on a trip to Mexico... or towards an LCD TV. Besides, most of my music is compressed- that's probaby the limiting factor most of the time.

Dec 20, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #20 of 20
I know, I'm being nasty
rolleyes.gif
-- PX100 is analytical under 50 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back