Very nice collection of Cartridge needle drops
Jul 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 5
I was happy to see that my Ortofon VMS 30 Mk II got good marks, but sadly, it needs a new stylus. If they add more cartridges, it will be a good resource. I like the inclusion of stylus photos.

Laz

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Cool site but another thing to bear in mind is that you are also listening to the Linn Ittok tonearm and some of these carts, like the Shure's are less than well suited to an arm of that mass etc.
Not surprising therefore that the all AT carts sound that good as they were the OEM for the Linn K series and are famously good on Linn arms.

Laz, I have the Ortofon VMS 30 too. It's a lovely cart indeed. Any of the VMS series stylus will fit but obviously not sound as good. I think I fitted a VMS 20 last time which cost 70USD form Needledoctor ..ouch.
eek.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Laz, I have the Ortofon VMS 30 too. It's a lovely cart indeed. Any of the VMS series stylus will fit but obviously not sound as good. I think I fitted a VMS 20 last time which cost 70USD form Needledoctor ..ouch.
eek.gif

I bought the Ortofon at the going-out-of-business sale of a home-decor store. It was attached to a Dual CS-series table, and the price was good. Got a nice Sanus rack too - too bad the cantilever was bent, but the Dual is good. At an estate sale a couple of years ago, I saw a Dual 1019 and looked to see what cartridge it had - a Micro Acoustics! Bent again, but I only found it out after I got it home. The worst was a Pioneer I found in the local DAV, and lying on the floor nearby was an Audioquest MC - of course, the cantilever was broken. One of these days, I will break down and buy a new stylus for the Ortofon. I have yet to hear one that I didn't like. Thanks for the thumbs-up!

Laz

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an Audioquest MC - of course, the cantilever was broken....

These can often be repaired you know. Soundsmith repair service will do a lovely job and can even upgrade it with a fine line stylus and ruby cantilever, often for much less than you'd pay for an equivalant MC these days. It may not ever be the same as it was once but often the tips you get now are amazing compared to the stock ones they used in the 1970s and '80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back