Very n00bish cable question
Jul 14, 2002 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
I realize how n00bish this sounds, but exactly what cables do i need?

I'm planning to run a set of HD-600's from a Corda HA-1, and run it through my PC sound card.

I would need a cable for the headphones themselves (steinheiser stock for now, thinking cardas later)

An interconnect, from the soundcard to the amp. (what type would i need? I'm looking at the outlaw webpage, and i'm not sure which cables are for an interrconnect for headphones)

And a powercable. Does corda provide this with the amp? Are there any relitively good, cheap ones? I'm on a limited budget.

Jul 14, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 12
You will need an RCA cable to go from your soundcard to your amp.

However, I would question spending a lot of money on a cable rather than upgrading your source. You would likely be better served in holding off on replacement cables for your Senns and fancy ICs for your soundcard and plowing that money into a high-quality source, then worry about cables.

Also, if you listen primarily to MP3's instead of CDs/SACDs/DVD-As, better cables are probably a total waste of money.

markl

Jul 14, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 12
For my source, i was planning to use a 2448 (perhaps even a 2496)

BTW, is DVD-a the new blue ray ones? I haven't got a DVD player of any sort, and was waiting for those.

Jul 14, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Also, if you listen primarily to MP3's instead of CDs/SACDs/DVD-As, better cables are probably a total waste of money.

I dont agree at all with markl assertions about cables, as you can see reading other posts.

I even don't agree at all about markl assertions, regarding to quality mp3's. But since I cannot explain here why, because it's forbidden to talk here about some things, I will not.

Jul 14, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 12
So, it hasn't stopped you from crapping on every other cable thread.

Jul 15, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 12
Ebonyks,
Ricky would be as happy with a piece of string hooked up to a tin can connected to an antique Victrola as he would with a Senn Orpheus. His ears apparently cannot tell the difference.

Also, Ricky, he's asked for advice about both a cable upgrade and about the possibility of a better source over his soundcard. In either case, you would tell him to "forget it" as he already has the ultimate in high-end equipment already, right?

markl.

Jul 16, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Ricky would be as happy with a piece of string hooked up to a tin can connected to an antique Victrola as he would with a Senn Orpheus. His ears apparently cannot tell the difference.

Not true. However, there's much snake oil at audio, and it's good to be able to tell apart what is snake oil from what isn't.

Quote:

Also, Ricky, he's asked for advice about both a cable upgrade and about the possibility of a better source over his soundcard.

I didn't see any request for advice about a better source at his first post. Just advice for cables.

Quote:

In either case, you would tell him to "forget it" as he already has the ultimate in high-end equipment already, right?

Mi advice would be: to stay with the regular HD 600 cable, to buy a regular non-expensive standard hi-fi interconnect with non-crappy connectors, as the ones that come with regular hi-fi equipment, and to use any power cord he has at home, or buy just about any power cord he wants.

However, if he wants a good sounding card, I would tell him to get an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Don't get the M-Audio 2448 (don't remember the model right now), as it's quite worse on respect to analog audio quality.

A cheaper, more consumer-type card, and still reasonable good quality alternative (but not up to the levels of the former, of course) would be a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. But forget about Creative cards, please.

Jul 16, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 12
See, Ricky does have some taste when it comes to equipment
wink.gif

But for interconnects, I'd reccommend the Outlaw Audio PCAs as the ones to get (they're pretty much at the top of the priceperformance curve), and they don't cost very much either. For power cords, don't bother at this point; the Quail (which is again, IMHO, at the top of the price/performance curve) needs a hospital-grade outlet to plug in to.

Jul 17, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 12
My current one is a Fort 2, which has a standard mini output and a S/PDIF output. It also has a dedicated headphone jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back