Very Large Eartips for IEM
Aug 23, 2018 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

loephi

New Head-Fier
Hi together

I am currently using my Shure SE 215 with the large Foam Olives for at least 5 years now.

Recently i felt the need tio finally buy a new set of headphones. Currently i am very interested in the FIIO FH5 and the Campfire Audio Polaris.

Now to my Problem: I have extremly large ear canals, the large Shure Foam Olives (Diameter 15.2 mm i think) only just give me a fit. (I know its unbelievable but trust me in my ear canals you can park an fully loaded Mack Anthem)

Because of this i never wanted to change my Earphones because they were the only one with the large foams that gave me a seal. Regular large Silicon tips can wiggle in my ear without creating any kind of seal.

You may now think okay then just buy another iem with the small nozzle that supports the shure foams.

Rather I would like to know if anyone of you does know any kind of earphone tips with a diameter of above 15mm that work for large Bore IEM's like Campfire and FIIO etc. ? If i have a Solution for Large Bore IEM's i can start testlisten to all kinds of IEM's.

I already found The final e series tips with the size LL but i was not able to find a diameter for them.

Thanks in Advance Phil

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi together

I am currently using my Shure SE 215 with the large Foam Olives for at least 5 years now.

Recently i felt the need tio finally buy a new set of headphones. Currently i am very interested in the FIIO FH5 and the Campfire Audio Polaris.

Now to my Problem: I have extremly large ear canals, the large Shure Foam Olives (Diameter 15.2 mm i think) only just give me a fit. (I know its unbelievable but trust me in my ear canals you can park an fully loaded Mack Anthem)

Because of this i never wanted to change my Earphones because they were the only one with the large foams that gave me a seal. Regular large Silicon tips can wiggle in my ear without creating any kind of seal.

You may now think okay then just buy another iem with the small nozzle that supports the shure foams.

Rather I would like to know if anyone of you does know any kind of earphone tips with a diameter of above 15mm that work for large Bore IEM's like Campfire and FIIO etc. ? If i have a Solution for Large Bore IEM's i can start testlisten to all kinds of IEM's.

I already found The final e series tips with the size LL but i was not able to find a diameter for them.

Thanks in Advance Phil
Amazed and dismayed to see this has never received a reply! Apparently cavernous ear canals are the bane of my audio life as well, and what's more I often get to thinking that incessantly 'digging in there' with various IEMs desperately trying to get a seal, has made my canals even bigger than they were before!

I got the 'extra large' Final Audio Series E tips, but they do not seem to be any different in their capacity to fill space than the large!

Strangely enough, the only thing that has ever fully fit and allowed me to actually experience the performance of an IEM, is the simple 'bullet' or 'cylinder' shaped ones...

I'm thinking maybe i should send this to you as PM as well?

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Unfortunately, the largest silicone ear tips that I know of are 14mm. Those are the largest Final Audio E tips and the largest Sedna Earfit tips. Most ear canals become narrower with depth. So even with IEMs with longer nozzles, and a deeper insertion, the 14mm tips are not large enough?

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Unfortunately, the largest silicone ear tips that I know of are 14mm. Those are the largest Final Audio E tips and the largest Sedna Earfit tips. Most ear canals become narrower with depth. So even with IEMs with longer nozzles, and a deeper insertion, the 14mm tips are not large enough?
Thanks so much for answering. Truly i am mystified. All i know is that i've bought one IEM after another, along with all kinds of tips, and fully failed to find any 'sealisfaction' (except perhaps with those bullet shaped sets!) I ordered what i thought were large Sednas but those that came are quite average size. Where can one order the extra large? I also got the Spinfit with the two flanges but no joy there either. So it seems 14mm are indeed not large enough... Aiiyeee! I must have *excavated" in there with all my frantic attempts..

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks so much for answering. Truly i am mystified. All i know is that i've bought one IEM after another, along with all kinds of tips, and fully failed to find any 'sealisfaction' (except perhaps with those bullet shaped sets!) I ordered what i thought were large Sednas but those that came are quite average size. Where can one order the extra large? I also got the Spinfit with the two flanges but no joy there either. So it seems 14mm are indeed not large enough... Aiiyeee! I must have *excavated" in there with all my frantic attempts..
Have you ever tried Etymotic IEMs, with the triple flange tips? With the largest tips, and the deep insertion, that’s the only other thing I can think of. Otherwise, I’d look into custom IEMs or custom ear tips. Custom IEMs have never been more affordable, with such great IEMs as the ThieAudio Legacy 3 (approx, $200). Seeing an audiologist might not be a bad idea anyways, since you have unusual anatomy.

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi, just wondering if any decent solutions were found here, or any newly found products for larger ears? I think I'm in the same boat, as the Shure large foams are the only ones that completely seal on SE215s, but do put a fair amount of outward pressure on my ears. Anything else (Comply, Dekoni, silicon) don't produce nearly as good of a seal, and therefore no low-end sound or presence.

I'm not sure I'm keeping the SE215s, so may need something to work with larger nozzle earphones (e.g, Fiio FH3).

- Did anyone end up with custom molds, or possibly try the do-it-yourself custom earplug (e.g., Radians) conversion?

If custom molds are the only solution, would they only really work as full sleeves encompassing the earphone, or are custom molded 'tips' an option? Just wondering if a custom solution would work with different earphones, provided they have a very similar nozzle size. Or if you're stuck with a solution that is ONLY good for a specific pair of earphones.

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi, just wondering if any decent solutions were found here, or any newly found products for larger ears? I think I'm in the same boat, as the Shure large foams are the only ones that completely seal on SE215s, but do put a fair amount of outward pressure on my ears. Anything else (Comply, Dekoni, silicon) don't produce nearly as good of a seal, and therefore no low-end sound or presence.

I'm not sure I'm keeping the SE215s, so may need something to work with larger nozzle earphones (e.g, Fiio FH3).

- Did anyone end up with custom molds, or possibly try the do-it-yourself custom earplug (e.g., Radians) conversion?

If custom molds are the only solution, would they only really work as full sleeves encompassing the earphone, or are custom molded 'tips' an option? Just wondering if a custom solution would work with different earphones, provided they have a very similar nozzle size. Or if you're stuck with a solution that is ONLY good for a specific pair of earphones.
SpinFit has XL tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back