Very exciting thread!
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
I will possibly be purchasing a portable amp soon, and I have a Nintendo Wii, both of these will run off of AA batteries so I am now contemplating a switch to rechargeable batteries. I don't know much of anything about rechargeable batteries as I have never owned something that would justify the purchase. I know people around here have used them for different amps and applications so I was hoping you might have suggestions on what brands/types to buy and where I should look to buy them. Thanks

Oh and sorry about lying in the thread title

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm not too particular when it comes to battery brands as long as they are NiMH. Chargers do make a difference, though. Make sure you get a "smart" charger, one that senses when a battery is done charging rather than one that will charge for a specific amount of time, regardless of how much it was charged before it started. Most of the new rapid chargers are quite good. I recently picked up a Sony charger that displays the progress and quits when it is done.

I also recommend removing the batteries from the charge as soon as they are done charging. They tend to discharge fairly rapidly if you leave them in.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 13
A few more questions if I may. If say, a portable amp runs on a normal energizer AA for 15 hours, should I expect the rechargeable to power the amp for more than, fewer than or about fifteen hours? Also how many times can these be recharged before their performance starts to suffer?

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 13
I use sterling silver rechargable batteries and I find that they make the sound more liquid and precise. Battery chargers provide cleaner sounding charges if you have a direct drop from the power transformer with 3/4 inch thick braided 14k gold cables. But make sure they aren't over three feet long. You'll have to charge your batteries by climbing to the top of the telephone pole in your backyard. But OH! the transparency and soundstage!

See ya
Steve

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Battery life is a little bit shorter than Alkalines, but the nice thing about NiMH is that you can recharge them at any point without having to run them down.

I have rechargable batteries that I bought 5 years ago. After 100s of charges, they still run strong.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use sterling silver rechargable batteries and I find that they make the sound more liquid and precise. Battery chargers provide cleaner sounding charges if you have a direct drop from the power transformer with 3/4 inch thick braided 14k gold cables. But make sure they aren't over three feet long. You'll have to charge your batteries by climbing to the top of the telephone pole in your backyard. But OH! the transparency and soundstage!

Deleted. Not worth the effort.

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

See ya
Steve

x2

But, Steve, you really need to cryogenically treat the interconnects. They will contribute a warm orange color to the mids.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 13
If you can get past the sarcastic posts by people who should know better, there are some very pronounced differences between battery types. An alkaline battery will have a 1.5 volt cell, while a rechargeable will be about 1.2 volts. However (and this is a big however), alkalines will show a steady voltage drop over the life of the charge, while rechargeables tend to hold a steady voltage until the charge life is almost done. So, if your amp needs maximal voltage, you'd probably want to go with alkalines, but the sound would deteriorate long before the charge was gone. If your amp can run on the lower voltage from rechargeables, then you'd have the advantage of the slower voltage drop over time. However, the charge time on an NiMH battery will be less than an alkaline. Even so, the advantage of rechargeables is that you can, well, recharge them. So, a set of rechargeables will last a lot longer over time than a set of alkalines. Rechargeable batteries will lose their charge sitting, so it's best to charge them as close as possible to when you use them. I generally keep a set in an amp I'm using, with a spare set ready to go in when the charge wears down.

Oh yeah, a suggestion dedicated to bigshot and Uncle Erik: Do treat the terminal connections where your battery hooks up with Quicksilver AVExtreme. This is a wonderful contact enhancer, and will help insure that you don't have a poor connection between your batteries and your amp. It tends to be a bit expensive, and probably not worth it on a portable, however, if you've ever had connection issues, such as an intermittent battery connection, or poor connection with tube pins, RCA connectors, etc. this stuff does work very well indeed. Be careful using it, as it is highly conductive and if you paint a short it can do some damage.

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Oh and sorry about lying in the thread title

That's OK, Steve's post made my day and made it truly exciting!
biggrin.gif

I would have to agree with floydenheimer. I bought a Powerex 401FS charger and AA batteries from Thomas Distributing for my Digital camera and they work great.

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, a suggestion dedicated to bigshot and Uncle Erik: Do treat the terminal connections where your battery hooks up with Quicksilver AVExtreme. This is a wonderful contact enhancer, and will help insure that you don't have a poor connection between your batteries and your amp. It tends to be a bit expensive

I find rubbing $100 bills on all my contacts keeps them shiny and working perfectly.

See ya
Steve

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I find rubbing $100 bills on all my contacts keeps them shiny and working perfectly.

If we give you a $100 bill will you stop thread krapping?

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 13
I think I'd pony up a benfrank if you stopped kvetching.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back