Very bad experience with Etymotic
post-16006102
Post #1 of 11

silvahr

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought Etymotic ER3SE November 2019 in Amazon.com (the seller was Etymotic Inc).
The sound quality of IEM's is good regarding the price.
The problem is that the left side stopped working 3 months after I bought them.
I decided to contact Amazon because it was under warranty.
Amazon informed that I have to contact Etymotic to solve the problem.
I did by email (I’m in Europe) but didn’t get any feedback until today.
Using Etymotic web page I followed the “In-warranty replacements” instructions and sent the ER3SE to Etymotic in July 2020.
I have the post company proof that the IEM's were delivered in Etymotic HQ.
Until today I didn’t get any feedback from Etymotic Inc.
I was an Etymotic fun boy (3 pairs before these one) but although I like the sound, I’m done with this company because in my experience customer support is nonexistent.

On the other hand, these week I had a problem with my Audeze LCD-i3 I bought last month.
I emailed the seller and the problem was solved in less than 2 hours.
Audeze will replace the default unit with no costs.

Very different experiences with two USA companies.

Decided to post this because I feel I belong to a community where everybody has a role and companies must be responsible by their acts.

Last edited:
Reactions: arteom
post-16006179
Post #2 of 11

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
interesting i had a cable clip break on my newish er2xr and they sent two pairs very quickly to the uk (they did need reminding but then sent them by air) - this was earlier in the year so i do not know how the new ownership is working out but i suggest you try customer support again until you get a satisfactory outcome.

d

Reactions: silvahr
post-16006198
Post #3 of 11

silvahr

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
interesting i had a cable clip break on my newish er2xr and they sent two pairs very quickly to the uk (they did need reminding but then sent them by air) - this was earlier in the year so i do not know how the new ownership is working out but i suggest you try customer support again until you get a satisfactory outcome.

d
I emailed them twice and didn't get any feedback.
I guess I will try again but I'm assuming I'm dealing with a lost cause.

post-16022551
Post #4 of 11

Piotr Michalak

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I got a home hearing test from Ety, and the sound card doesn't work with attached software. They sent another one and it doesn't work either. It's months now me trying to solve it with them, to no avail. Seems support is trying to speak to someone internally in the company, as if support was outsourced or something, but there's no help, I threw my money away.

Reactions: LaughMoreDaily
post-16023018
Post #5 of 11

silvahr

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I got a home hearing test from Ety, and the sound card doesn't work with attached software. They sent another one and it doesn't work either. It's months now me trying to solve it with them, to no avail. Seems support is trying to speak to someone internally in the company, as if support was outsourced or something, but there's no help, I threw my money away.
I feel you.
It's a company with good products but without proper customer support.
Such a shame...

post-16024730
Post #6 of 11

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.head-fi.org
This is the way it goes. When they outsource support the writing is on the wall. The products will be going down the tubes next.

Another one rides the bus...

BTW when I emailed Shure, I got a fantastic dialog going with one of their tech support guys. Answers all my questions, refers me to various info pages on the web. Super!

post-16024740
Post #7 of 11

Piotr Michalak

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
This is the way it goes. When they outsource support the writing is on the wall. The products will be going down the tubes next.

BTW when I emailed Shure, I got a fantastic dialog going with one of their tech support guys. Answers all my questions, refers me to various info pages on the web. Super!
Funny, when I tried, they redirected to my local Polish distributor, who - of course - didn't respond at all. I wanted to buy just the KSE1200 earphone, no amp, and asked if I may receive an offer. So many people don't want out money nowadays. Had to buy a used KSE1200 to replace my KSE1500 earphone (they are the same, and they are glued in such a way that may deteriorate after the end of guarantee period, and the earphone just opens up:)).

post-16024850
Post #8 of 11

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.head-fi.org
Funny, when I tried, they redirected to my local Polish distributor, who - of course - didn't respond at all. I wanted to buy just the KSE1200 earphone, no amp, and asked if I may receive an offer. So many people don't want out money nowadays. Had to buy a used KSE1200 to replace my KSE1500 earphone (they are the same, and they are glued in such a way that may deteriorate after the end of guarantee period, and the earphone just opens up:)).
That's terrible! For that kind of money I would expect better.

I can't remember how I got to the support guy but it was clear he was technical and had an engineering background. Maybe see if you can go through the tech support channels instead of customer (dis)service.

You are right, nowadays companies expect us to work to buy from them. I remember when they used to understand they had to work to sell to us.

post-16076853
Post #9 of 11

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score

Looking at the new prices of their iems, I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced customer support.

Many years ago when I had the ER4P, I snapped the nozzle, and called them up, and they told me to send them everything and they will put on a matching drivers and send it back to me! The lady I talked to on the phone was from the company building in the Chicago land area (not from a foreign country). I think the pricing was higher back then, but their service was like this as well.

post-16077630
Post #10 of 11

LaughMoreDaily

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
this was earlier in the year so i do not know how the new ownership is working out but i suggest you try customer support again until you get a satisfactory outcome.
The brand has a new owner?

post-16081701
Post #11 of 11

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
InEarMatters.net
Reactions: nick n and slex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)