Very airy/detailed headphones for EDM <$300 that can compete with sennheiser ie8 unamped
Dec 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jabse

100+ Head-Fier
So Ive had dt770/80, xb700 and the ie8's.. i ditched the 770's a while ago because they just didn't hit the spot with regards detail/clarity.. sounded a bit blunt tbh.. then i switched to xb700 which were good  for a while and then finally one day I tried my ie8's on the computer and despite them being IEM's the detail/clarity blew the rest out of the water, they were also a lot easier on my ears @ loud volumes.. they're nearly perfect for EDM, specially trance but as an IEM they just aren't as airy and natural sounding (like speakers) as i'd like them to be.. should I even bother trying to replace these at this price range? so im mainly looking for something with that sounds airy/detailed/decent bass/soundstage with depth (3D), but i'm afraid ill waste my money on a headphone that isn't going to match the ie8's detail/clarity... i was thinking akg k/167/267 or maybe even k701 or xb1000

Obviously I'd need an open headphone right? is there any with decent bass for EDM?

also.. im allergic to SIBILANCE!

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
So Ive had dt770/80, xb700 and the ie8's.. i ditched the 770's a while ago because they just didn't hit the spot with regards detail/clarity.. sounded a bit blunt tbh.. then i switched to xb700 which were good  for a while and then finally one day I tried my ie8's on the computer and despite them being IEM's the detail/clarity blew the rest out of the water, they were also a lot easier on my ears @ loud volumes.. they're nearly perfect for EDM, specially trance but as an IEM they just aren't as airy and natural sounding (like speakers) as i'd like them to be.. should I even bother trying to replace these at this price range? so im mainly looking for something with that sounds airy/detailed/decent bass/soundstage with depth, but i'm afraid ill waste my money on a headphone that isn't going to match the ie8's detail/clarity... i was thinking akg k/167/267 or maybe even k701 or xb1000

Obviously I'd need an open headphone right? is there any with decent bass for EDM?

also.. im allergic to SIBILANCE!

Heya,

Look into:

Closed:

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
Denon D5000 (or D600)
AKG K167
AudioTecnica A900X

Open:

Hifiman HE-400
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sennheiser HD650
Beyer DT880

Also, be prepared to dabble with equalization so that you can adjust treble to be just right for you.

Very best,

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 7
AKG Q701 if you want the tightest, cleanest bass around. Sony XB1000 if you want the biggest, most heavy hitting bass around. Simplified. :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

Look into:

Closed:

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
Denon D5000 (or D600)
AKG K167
AudioTecnica A900X

Open:

Hifiman HE-400
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sennheiser HD650
Beyer DT880

Also, be prepared to dabble with equalization so that you can adjust treble to be just right for you.

Very best,

that's a lot to choose from.. could you please narrow it down or briefly state their pros/cons? which would would you say has the most detail/clarity yet very airy with a deep immersive soundstage for trance

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Q701 are airy and detailed but still smooth. You may find the amount of bass to be lacking though. They also require at least a decent amp like the Fiio E11, E17, or E10. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back