Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #347 of 1,486
There was an update on the Kickstarter:
"We have very long national holidays (that includes Easter, International labour day, Day of victory in WWII etc) and I'll start to ship those units about 12 of May. So now >90% of Verum 1 are already shipped."

I lived previously in Eastern Europe so let me explain. The Orthodox Easter holidays continue for one week usually and almost everything is shut down. 1st of May is also a national holiday and the most important one is the Victory day. And all this is happening while there are presidential inauguration preparations. Probably the logistical chain is interrupted and you have to pay double to your employees to work during holidays and these particular holidays are so important there that almost everybody refuses to work regardless of the money offered. All I am trying to say that Garuspik is a hero and a maverick doing something creative out of an almost bankrupt country such as Ukraine. He persevered despite all the difficulties and succeeded. We need more passionate people like him on this Earth and we should be happy he is part of the audiophile hobby. Keep up the good work :)

Apr 27, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #348 of 1,486
Got the perforated pads @Garuspik sent to me. For those of you that feel Verum 1 is too dark, the perforated pads should make you happy.
They reduce the level below 1kHz by ~3dB and keep a bit of a low bass bump before dropping off at the lowest octaves. Transient response is much better as well as stage, air and for me, comfort.

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Stock pads are in red, perforated in green:
9940135_l.png

9940133_l.png

9940134_l.png

9940132_l.png

9940131_l.png

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #349 of 1,486
Oof, those do so many good things to the response. Will they be available to buy on the website?

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #350 of 1,486
Got the perforated pads @Garuspik sent to me. For those of you that feel Verum 1 is too dark, the perforated pads should make you happy.
They reduce the level below 1kHz by ~3dB and keep a bit of a low bass bump before dropping off at the lowest octaves. Transient response is much better as well as stage, air and for me, comfort.

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

9940135_l.png

9940133_l.png

9940134_l.png

9940132_l.png

9940131_l.png
How does it affect the lushness of the mids and vocals?

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #351 of 1,486

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

QUOTE]
-

Readers be advised that all these stats reflect the gear the OP is using.
So, unless you are using his gear, then your gear is going to produce completely different percentages.
The one thing that seems certain, is that these pads will create a sonic difference, and will also be very comfy, as are the originals.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #352 of 1,486
Wow those FR measurements are pretty impressive... The waterfalls also looks pretty good to my uneducated eyes!

Something a tad weird though; is that an exposed wire squished between the cups? It's just a nitpick since it's on the inside side of the headphone, but the fit/finish/build on that picture seem to make the headphones look quite a bit spartan; like if you take say sennheiser headphones, every piece fits tight, no gaps, (well designed & manufactured), but this picture makes the Verum 1 appear a bit like it's really showing that it's been built by an enthusiast; 'home made'? (in this case, the carbon fiber casing does not end flush with the black 'cover' just above the wire in; large gap, and different materials; best of case the casing would have covered by this area or finished in a way not to make that 'hole' so obvious...) Obviously, I've not seen them in real life so could entirely be wrong, but when held and inspected, do these show their 'DIY' nature or...?

upload_2019-4-27_8-1-30.png

TLDR; how's the actual build quality on those?!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #353 of 1,486
I'm more interested in what that did to the treble, really.

Readers be advised that all these stats reflect the gear the OP is using.
So, unless you are using his gear, then your gear is going to produce completely different percentages.
The one thing that seems certain, is that these pads will create a sonic difference, and will also be very comfy, as are the originals.

It completely reflects the DIFFERENCE those pads will make though. And his measurements look identical to what I see when measure mine :)

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #354 of 1,486
I want to see more graphs people!

Response looks fairly leveled for a planar, doesn't look significantly dropped off or treble rising. It may actually sound toward the darker side, but this is just my assumption, and take it with a grain of salt until heard people.

For some reason planars generally have that linear bass and mid drop, and I see that on there. I wonder what causes that for all planars? So, I'm thinking fuller sounding male vocals compared to something like Hifiman.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #355 of 1,486
I'm more interested in what that did to the treble, really.

It completely reflects the DIFFERENCE those pads will make though. And his measurements look identical to what I see when measure mine :)

It completely reflects the Differences these pads make, if you use His gear.

For example, if you use a Woo Audio Fireflies and the Sendys, and take the measurements with the pads, you will see a certain freq response, that can be quoted using a graph.
But, if you use an Iphone, to drive the Sendy's, then your graph is going to be completely different regarding how the graph(s) evaluates the freq response.
Different gear creates Headphones to have a different sound-freq response.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #356 of 1,486
I'd like to see @cskippy (or any others willing to share their pad swapping experiences) explore more pads and it's materials to see what changes the sound, share the measurements. I like to know what velour does.

Looks like the perforated pads evens out the treble variations, and also creating a more leveled response.

Is Verum 1, pad swap friendly? With zmf or Hifiman pads?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #357 of 1,486
I'd like to see @cskippy (or any others willing to share their pad swapping experiences) explore more pads and it's materials to see what changes the sound, share the measurements. I like to know what velour does.
Looks like the porforated pads evens out the treble variations, and also creating a more leveled response.

Do you own the Verum's ?

If you do, and all the answers to your questions are "yes",
Will you buy them?

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #359 of 1,486
Wow those FR measurements are pretty impressive... The waterfalls also looks pretty good to my uneducated eyes!

Something a tad weird though; is that an exposed wire squished between the cups? It's just a nitpick since it's on the inside side of the headphone, but the fit/finish/build on that picture seem to make the headphones look quite a bit spartan; like if you take say sennheiser headphones, every piece fits tight, no gaps, (well designed & manufactured), but this picture makes the Verum 1 appear a bit like it's really showing that it's been built by an enthusiast; 'home made'? (in this case, the carbon fiber casing does not end flush with the black 'cover' just above the wire in; large gap, and different materials; best of case the casing would have covered by this area or finished in a way not to make that 'hole' so obvious...) Obviously, I've not seen them in real life so could entirely be wrong, but when held and inspected, do these show their 'DIY' nature or...?

There's definitely some unit to unit variance. My pair came with a small scratch in the varnish on one of the cups, and when I remove the pads I can see a small ding in one of the magnets. That being said, as far as DIY products that I've purchased go, this one is pretty solid.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #360 of 1,486

Looks like the perforated pads evens out the treble variations, and also creating a more leveled response.

The friendliest pad swapping mechanism ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back