Verum 1
Apr 24, 2019 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is my initial " right out of the box" perspective of the Verum 1's.

I'm listening to them.
Very Nice sound.

Music provided by :

My Youtube Channel..... search "Fastguitars".

CD's , SACD's, wav's & flacs :

Kandace Springs
Alice Sara Ott
Tom Chaplin
Phil Keaggy
Sarah Jarosz
Corinne Bailey Ray
Omnia
Chet Baker
Eivor
Sarah McLachlan
Queen
Rush
Jimmy Wahlsteen
Others....many.
---

So, upon their arrival to you, you will discover that there is not much included other then an adapter, and a very decent wire, soft, flexible, and reminds me of a Focal wire.
Headphones themselves are aesthetically charming. They have a robust feel, yet have a delicate aura.
Clamping pressure is comfy, adjustment is via locking knobs that have to be completely unscrewed to allow for adjustment access, then once dialed in, you re-tighten large knobs, and you are set for life.
Once adjusted, the cups are locked into place, and remain so unless you unscrew knobs, reset, re-lock knobs.
Nice...
"set it and forget it".

Pads are soft, and are of medium + depth.

My version of the V1s have the orange-red color of Bubinga hardwood, and overall the headphones have an almost "antique" visual appeal. You definitely feel you are dealing with something that is carefully and lovingly created by hand. Even the aroma of the headphone(s) is appealing, as it generates a sweet smell, perhaps lacquer finish?.... I can't know for certain, but the maker would know.
Maybe this info is available online.
I own and play a lot of handmade acoustic guitars, so, im very familiar with the aroma of a "hand finished" product, even if sprayed by hand, as i assume has been implement here, regarding the very pretty V1's.

On the head, the V1's weight is equally distributed, and the core (head contact) positions on top and around ears are noticeable, but soft. I would liken the 'head-feel" of these to LCD-X's, but much lighter, smaller, and more comfy.
The wire, of useful length, is basically silent as it lays across your body......nearly zero microphonic's.

------------------------------------------------

So, how do they sound?

Well, ........

They sound good.
So, lets establish that as our fulcrum POV, and build from this foundation.
I can also say that i have never heard this sound within any other set of Planar headphone cups.
It is, to my ears, a unique tonality that many will enjoy.

Sound Sig :

Overall tonality : Sonic Signature is smooth and refined with a slight imputation of upper end tweek'd sparkle.
This is an overall valid sound presentation that will appeal to many.
This is an engaging sound, and overall quite musically revealing.

Soundstage : - Medium +.....its not small, and its also not going to blow your mind (Sonic Nirvana) with its width or depth.
Where it will probably amaze you, is regarding <>instrument separation<> and how it presents this aspect within its "stereo field" .
Its outstanding, as the instruments are wrapped in silent darkness until they appear......= to make music.
This set of headphones, sonically, offer an amazingly "black background".

Treble: - Detailed, with a hint of carefully tweek'd the 12-20kHz to add an extra bit of sparkly air to the V1's top end.
If you are treble sensitive, i don't think you will be offended by the V1's treble response, but you will certainly hear the modest bit of "upper treb freq" response that has been gently tweek'd into the V1's sound.
Not offensive, nicely engineered.

Mids : - Unique. I would not classify their design as aggressive or "out front", but rather they play along nicely with the bass and treble, vs, leading the way.
Missing is : "Low mid bloat"...... there is none.
The V1's midrange plays well with music.
Forget listening to files that are poorly recorded, as the treble response produced by the V1's wont allow it.....:)

As you listen to different genre`s of music, you'll hear :
>Vocals have presence, acoustic instruments have sparkle, electric guitars have body, drums have authority, bass has nice extension and does not dominate or annoy.

Bass : - I find the V1's bass to be anything but excessive or dominant. Its a revealing bass, supportive, solid, but not quite as large as you find with the Ananda, LCD-X, or HEXV2.
This is a nice bass sound, liquid, pretty, well designed.
This is a music lovers bass sound and not one that is going to make bassheads rejoice and gush forth praise.
Its plentiful, but its not dominant.
Its accurate, but its not excessive.
its not almost missing, as you find with the Aeon C.

V1's Overall Value for money : Very very good.
The V1's will please more then they disappoint, and they offer a sound profile that i can't directly compare to any other set of headphones.

Verdict : No headphone can please everyone all of the time....:)
You are probably not going to put these on your head and be exactly reminded of Senns, or Hifiman, or Audeze, or Beyer, or AKG, or Shure, or MadDogs, or anything else.
This is a custom designed hand crafted "tuned" sound.

The V1's present music with a voice that is designed to show you all the musical details, yet without this as their prime reason to exist.
Their main reason to exist is to provide you with an engaging and captivating musical experience.
Headphones are "eyes" that let you see the music within your hearing.
The V1's provide eyes that are quite revealing, and quite enjoyable.
The V1's are an affordable, attractive, well built, comfortable, audiophile listening experience.
-
-
-
DSCF5206.JPG

-

DSCF5207.JPG

-
DSCF5208.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 19
I own and play a lot of handmade acoustic guitars
Funny you should mention that - that's exactly what the Boobinga finish reminds me of: the typical finish of a classic guitar's resonance box, at least the sides and back of the box (the face isn't usually done the same way). But I still find the Zebrano more attractive, based on the official pics. For something so small I think more lines are needed in the pattern to make it a convincing wood texture.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 19
Funny you should mention that - that's exactly what the Boobinga finish reminds me of: the typical finish of a classic guitar's resonance box, at least the sides and back of the box (the face isn't usually done the same way). But I still find the Zebrano more attractive, based on the official pics. For something so small I think more lines are needed in the pattern to make it a convincing wood texture.

Zebrano (Zebrawood), makes a lovely acoustic guitar.
(Back and sides).

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 19
@FullBright1 Nice to see your impressions about Verum 1. I'm waiting on mine to arrive so I'm curios what other people have to say. However, with all the kindness, It is not necessary to make a new thread whenever you receive a new headphone and decide to post some impressions/make a review. Why not post a review in the review segment and maybe copy past your review in the verum thread instead. If everyone starts to make a new thread when they have something to say about a headphone this forum would turn unreadable within a day.

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 19
Hi @FullBright1,

Nice review & insight as always, been tempted by the Verum 1 for a while now & so far everything known does make it tempting, so see how it goes.
I really don't need my purchase queue getting any larger at the moment but then there is no rush either. :)

Bubinga doesn't have much fragrance on its own so it's probably in all likelhood the lacquer you are smelling, @FullBright1 :p
Zebra wood is really nice indeed & decent to carve, which what appeals to me about the Aiva.

On a side note, nothing wrong with starting a new thread, especially if it promotes good discussion, @Roderick.
Personally, I find it easier to read & respond to threads than on the review page, not to mention the threads are easier to search.
Though putting a copy on the review list wouldn't be a bad thing either but that all depends on @FullBright1, as it should be.

Keep up the great insight !

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 19
@FullBright1 Nice to see your impressions about Verum 1. I'm waiting on mine to arrive so I'm curios what other people have to say. However, with all the kindness, It is not necessary to make a new thread whenever you receive a new headphone and decide to post some impressions/make a review. Why not post a review in the review segment and maybe copy past your review in the verum thread instead. If everyone starts to make a new thread when they have something to say about a headphone this forum would turn unreadable within a day.

I think you'll like the V1s.
Its a lot of nice sound for the money.
The Box could be better....

If you check my past reviews, i do post some of them, in a "review" section.
But regarding any that i post as Threads, what happens is, i do a SEARCH for the Headphone, looking for a review or review page, regarding it.
If i dont see one on the first "search" page, and all i see are "for sale, or "sold", then i post a Thread.
I did actually do a search for the V1, and found nothing...except for the sales page.
So, thank you for the heads up.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 19
Hi @FullBright1,

Nice review & insight as always, been tempted by the Verum 1 for a while now & so far everything known does make it tempting, so see how it goes.
I really don't need my purchase queue getting any larger at the moment but then there is no rush either. :)

Bubinga doesn't have much fragrance on its own so it's probably in all likelhood the lacquer you are smelling, @FullBright1 :p
Zebra wood is really nice indeed & decent to carve, which what appeals to me about the Aiva.

On a side note, nothing wrong with starting a new thread, especially if it promotes good discussion, @Roderick.
Personally, I find it easier to read & respond to threads than on the review page, not to mention the threads are easier to search.
Though putting a copy on the review list wouldn't be a bad thing either but that all depends on @FullBright1, as it should be.

Keep up the great insight !

Hope you have a great day !

Oh yes.....its the fragrance of some type of finish, the builder is applying.
Its not some type of automotive "clear coat" that he is spraying, as that smell is very undesirable.
His seems to be an "old school" type of factory, and so he's spraying something to make the wood shine, and its probably lacquer, or similar.
It does not have the aroma of a Poly finish, but, could be......
Im not sure if Lacquer is a "banned" finish in his Country.. ??????????
Probably not .

And its no issue for me to post Threads or Post Reviews in the Review section, if i see that there is one regarding my next HP purchase.
If not, i'll try to create subsequent reviews in the REVIEW Thread.
After all, if im the only member who is posting reviews, outside of the Review section, then i need perform otherwise, lest i cause a Thread stampede ... :)

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 19
Im thinking that when the builder builds V1.2.0.....he needs to make 2 changes.

First, he needs to redesign the outer grills, and get away from "Branding" them with a V, and instead do some research and create a grills, so that they are designed to influence the overall sound and sound presentation of the headphones, in a more sonically positive way. = as much as possible.

Then, he needs to get rid of the big metal screw-knobs, and go with a smaller composite material, as he could reduce the V1's weight by some ounces, if he changed the metal knobs to composite, or even wood.
This is unnecessary weight, as its not actually a part of the frame, or support system...ITs just 3 really big full metal knobs, that are dense and heavy.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 19
Im thinking that when the builder builds V1.2.0.....he needs to make 2 changes.

First, he needs to redesign the outer grills, and get away from "Branding" them with a V, and instead do some research and create a grills, so that they are designed to influence the overall sound and sound presentation of the headphones, in a more sonically positive way. = as much as possible.

Then, he needs to get rid of the big metal screw-knobs, and go with a smaller composite material, as he could reduce the V1's weight by some ounces, if he changed the metal knobs to composite, or even wood.
This is unnecessary weight, as its not actually a part of the frame, or support system...ITs just 3 really big full metal knobs, that are dense and heavy.

Thanks for review
About changes:
1. Grills are 90% transparent cause they are the same topology as magnets.
2. Knobs are made from titanium. So they are very lightweight. About 20 grams two of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for review
About changes:
1. Grills are 90% transparent cause they are the same topology as magnets.
2. Knobs are made from titanium. So they are very lightweight. About 20 grams two of them.

Ah, there you are..
I really like the V1's.
They play well with music, are very pretty, and feel good on you.
This is a quality audiophile product that discerning ears will appreciate.

So, you are saying that grills, outside grills,.. how they are designed..... have no more then a 10% total impact or influence on = perceived soundstage, or perceived (overall) frequency response?

And there are 3 knobs, and if you take them all off, that is a bit of weight. Could making them smaller, as well as making them out of a composite material, be a consideration for the evolution of the V1?
Also, in v.2, how about Ebony, Flamed Maple, and Rosewood, as a choice for the veneers ?
And how about 2 cables, with one being the 1/4 male along with the pre-existing one that accepts the 1/4 adapter. ?

Of course, all of this offered as "options", while continuing with the original V1.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 19
I have done quite a bit of listening to the Verum 1's both SE and balanced. On a Hiby R6 Pro and a Burson Fun Amp with the V6 Classic op amp. Also experimented with removing dampening layers, grills and pad rolling. First of all they sound much better from a balanced output; clearer, better separation, tighter bass. As for needing Bass, these are a fairly reference sounding headphone. I do enjoy warmer headphones as most people do. I would like them to have better bass and a little less harsh treble so I can listen for long periods relaxed. So I did some pad rolling and filtering with TP. I tried Brainwave HM5 pads, then I stacked the originals on top of them and noticed more prominent bass and less symbalence. So I ordered a set of Alpha Pads from Mr. Speakers. They were the ticket. The Alpha Pads added some needed bass and reduced treble just a smidge. They sound pretty darned good now. I would definitely recommend using the Alpha Pads on the Verum 1's. Plus Mr. Speakers offers very reasonable shipping if you are not in a hurry.

While I agree with most of the review remarks from previous posters, I would like to comment on the rec's posted so far and add my own.

1. The knobs are just fine. Titanium. Indestructible, nice grippy knurling, look great and will never wear out. negligent weight. Headphones are suspended and balance nicely with the existing leather head strap; they do not feel heavy. These headphone are really a piece of art and I like the combination of the industrial look and natural look. With silver grills they pair well.
2. The Grills are transparent. They have zero impact on sound. I removed them as part of a disassembly process due to needing to replace a defective ear-cup input jack. Consequently, I did some listening trials with dampening felt layers removed and grills removed. There are two layers of felt under the aluminum grill (see pic). I thought removing a layer might improve soundstage. I was wrong, all it does is thin out the sound. Garuspik was right on target with the amount of dampening needed under the grills. The only issue is that they will scratch easily; I will epoxy coat before reinstalling.
3. The cable quality is fine; no microphonics, seems plenty durable. It's length is perfect for connecting to an amp sitting on a table next to you. I think including a balanced cable or a two piece SE/Bal convertible cable would be great. Especially since they sound much better balanced.

My additions:
4. The input jacks are fairly fragile. a lateral load will bend the internal contacts. Since they exit forward it is pretty easy to laterally load the jack if the cable accidently gets caught on something. I don't think the "Lumberg klb 13" jacks were designed to be used at the 90 degree angle. IMO at least going to a 3.5mm jack like Hifiman did recently would be better.
5. The steel rings inside the earpads need to be a little thicker. With them in the Alpha Pads they barely hold on to the ear cups. They are a thicker material than the stock pads. Garuspik originally indicated the steel ring design feature would be good for pad rolling so a thicker ring (more mass) should help with this, but I might be wrong.
6. Recommend lowering the cable exit angle to 45 degree instead of 90 degree. Would help reduce side loading of the jack internals.
IMG_6416.jpg
IMG_6417.jpg
IMG_6418.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 19
I have done quite a bit of listening to the Verum 1's both SE and balanced. On a Hiby R6 Pro and a Burson Fun Amp with the V6 Classic op amp. Also experimented with removing dampening layers, grills and pad rolling. First of all they sound much better from a balanced output; clearer, better separation, tighter bass. As for needing Bass, these are a fairly reference sounding headphone. I do enjoy warmer headphones as most people do. I would like them to have better bass and a little less harsh treble so I can listen for long periods relaxed. So I did some pad rolling and filtering with TP. I tried Brainwave HM5 pads, then I stacked the originals on top of them and noticed more prominent bass and less symbalence. So I ordered a set of Alpha Pads from Mr. Speakers. They were the ticket. The Alpha Pads added some needed bass and reduced treble just a smidge. They sound pretty darned good now. I would definitely recommend using the Alpha Pads on the Verum 1's. Plus Mr. Speakers offers very reasonable shipping if you are not in a hurry.

While I agree with most of the review remarks from previous posters, I would like to comment on the rec's posted so far and add my own.

1. The knobs are just fine. Titanium. Indestructible, nice grippy knurling, look great and will never wear out. negligent weight. Headphones are suspended and balance nicely with the existing leather head strap; they do not feel heavy. These headphone are really a piece of art and I like the combination of the industrial look and natural look. With silver grills they pair well.
2. The Grills are transparent. They have zero impact on sound. I removed them as part of a disassembly process due to needing to replace a defective ear-cup input jack. Consequently, I did some listening trials with dampening felt layers removed and grills removed. There are two layers of felt under the aluminum grill (see pic). I thought removing a layer might improve soundstage. I was wrong, all it does is thin out the sound. Garuspik was right on target with the amount of dampening needed under the grills. The only issue is that they will scratch easily; I will epoxy coat before reinstalling.
3. The cable quality is fine; no microphonics, seems plenty durable. It's length is perfect for connecting to an amp sitting on a table next to you. I think including a balanced cable or a two piece SE/Bal convertible cable would be great. Especially since they sound much better balanced.

My additions:
4. The input jacks are fairly fragile. a lateral load will bend the internal contacts. Since they exit forward it is pretty easy to laterally load the jack if the cable accidently gets caught on something. I don't think the "Lumberg klb 13" jacks were designed to be used at the 90 degree angle. IMO at least going to a 3.5mm jack like Hifiman did recently would be better.
5. The steel rings inside the earpads need to be a little thicker. With them in the Alpha Pads they barely hold on to the ear cups. They are a thicker material than the stock pads. Garuspik originally indicated the steel ring design feature would be good for pad rolling so a thicker ring (more mass) should help with this, but I might be wrong.
6. Recommend lowering the cable exit angle to 45 degree instead of 90 degree. Would help reduce side loading of the jack internals.
Replying to your #2.

So, the damping under the grill is for reverb warmth you think? With damping and grill off sound clearer?

May 1, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 19
Replying to your #2.

So, the damping under the grill is for reverb warmth you think? With damping and grill off sound clearer?
I don’t think reverb comes into play. And doesn’t seem to change clarity, going balanced definitely cleans them up. To me these cans really change once running balanced. Removing grill and/or pads mainly let’s ambient sound in and less music out; I know that’s sounds basic, buts that’s how it seems to me. With layers/grill removed it seems like the speakers are so distance and way too airy. I tried several genres and 4 configurations and kept coming back to the grill with both felt pads. Too much body of the music is lost as layers are removed; probably because the open drivers are so big. Now realize that’s only my opinion. The only other open cans I have are Senn HD650 and Hifiman HE4XX and I like both of those those better with grilling damping cloth removed and grills on. BTW removing the grills is a bear. Requires taping the edges of the ear cup to protect the finish, using a blow dryer to soften the double side tape and then using a thin metal spudger to cut through the soft tape. I do a lot of modding, make my own cables, build amps, fix phones, etc. so not a big deal for me. But I can see someone easily bending the crap out of the thin grills if they don’t have much experience working on stuff.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 19
going balanced definitely cleans them up. To me these cans really change once running balanced. ... do a lot of modding, make my own cables,...
So is running these balanced just a matter of finding a balanced cable with 2.5 mm connectors and an XLR connector for the amp side? (Assuming an XLR balanced output on an amp).
And... why do you think this is? What I understand about the electronics of this will rattle in a thimble, so forgive my naivete... but I've read that these, given the 8 ohm impedance, need high current but low voltage. And that most amps put out more "power" (which I take to mean current) when run balanced... Is that what the improvement running these balanced is all about? Wattage?

I have some of these on order, waiting for them; but I'm wondering if I should buy a balanced (2.5 mm - XLR) cable, and that'll take care of cable needs for these. Any input most appreciated!

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 19
So is running these balanced just a matter of finding a balanced cable with 2.5 mm connectors and an XLR connector for the amp side? (Assuming an XLR balanced output on an amp).
And... why do you think this is? What I understand about the electronics of this will rattle in a thimble, so forgive my naivete... but I've read that these, given the 8 ohm impedance, need high current but low voltage. And that most amps put out more "power" (which I take to mean current) when run balanced... Is that what the improvement running these balanced is all about? Wattage?

I have some of these on order, waiting for them; but I'm wondering if I should buy a balanced (2.5 mm - XLR) cable, and that'll take care of cable needs for these. Any input most appreciated!

Yes, a cable as you describe should work fine. The 2.5mm ends can be stereo type or mono type. Either should work. If you can find mono ends I think they might work better in the Verum 1’s. I’ve had a lot of connectivity issues with the 2.5 stereo type tips.
Regarding balanced vs. single ended. Yes most amps output higher wattage in balanced mode. But beyond the extra power, balanced amps run separate amplification circuits per channel with independent grounds which generally results in better separation and resolution of the audio details. And the Verum 1’s seem to really take advantage of this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back