Versy serious warning for those who have pet cats
Aug 10, 2017 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Nothing to do with headphones at all, but just a dire warning to cat lovers out there. Just two nights ago now we had to put our year and a half old cat Millie down. She was the sweetest cat, I can't even begin to describe her. She was suffering from acute kidney failure after eating just a tiny bit of a Star gazer lily a friend brought over to me as a gift as he knew I liked all kinds of plants and flowers. He assured me it wasn't toxic to cats, which he genuinely believed to be true, but he was wrong and I foolishly didn't look it up myself and simply took his word as he was a very knowledgeable person on many subjects and he had a passion for plants.

Millie must only have had a tiny bit, or maybe even just some pollen but this plant is so toxic to cats that's all it took. By the time she stared acting sick enough and not eating we took her to an excellent veterinary hospital only 10 minutes from our house. They literally do per surgery, even cancer treatment there. It is such a great hospital that even some American's bring their pets there. Despite spending $2000 there was no hope for little Millie, her kidneys were destroyed. She was made comfortable with medication and then brought home for her last five hours before a vet came and put her to sleep. We buried her in the garden.

All from a plant so please people, if you own a cat, or have friends that do, tell them how lethal even a beautiful lily can be and that it just isn't worth the chance. There are resources online www.petposionhelpline.com so make sure you know that any plant you bring around your cats isn't toxic. Don't do what I did and take the word of somebody else, check for yourself. I really loved that little cat, she slept on me and close to me many nights, and ultimately I killed her by being careless and I can assure you, it is an extremely difficult time for me right now and if I can help somebody else avoid this terrible pain, I will feel Millie's life wasn't wasted.

20161014_090553.jpg

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm so sorry this happened! I love cats more than humans. I've had so many pet cats, mostly in the distant past.
Thanks mate, yes it is terrible for sure. So if you would, spread the word about how lethal some lilies are for cats and that people need to be extremely careful about the plants in their home and gardens. Millie was a wonderful cat, almost hard to believe how much personality she had. She was a Humane Society adopted cat as all of our cats are (we have two still at home) and she had problems thriving and feeding in the litter, but at our home with the other cats and our dog she did extremely well and was so happy. Such a waste of a lovely creature.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 16
Tragic. I only have orchidaes pretty much in my apartment just hope they are okay. She never shown interest in eating them though.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 16
Tragic. I only have orchidaes pretty much in my apartment just hope they are okay. She never shown interest in eating them though.
Look them up. When the lilies were brought into my home I watched the cats as I was worried about the flowers not knowing they were toxic. The cats seemed to ignore them, but at one point Millie decided she needed a nibble. Always pays to be very cautious. Here is a list https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 16
Nothing to do with headphones at all, but just a dire warning to cat lovers out there. Just two nights ago now we had to put our year and a half old cat Millie down. She was the sweetest cat, I can't even begin to describe her. She was suffering from acute kidney failure after eating just a tiny bit of a Star gazer lily a friend brought over to me as a gift as he knew I liked all kinds of plants and flowers. He assured me it wasn't toxic to cats, which he genuinely believed to be true, but he was wrong and I foolishly didn't look it up myself and simply took his word as he was a very knowledgeable person on many subjects and he had a passion for plants.

Millie must only have had a tiny bit, or maybe even just some pollen but this plant is so toxic to cats that's all it took. By the time she stared acting sick enough and not eating we took her to an excellent veterinary hospital only 10 minutes from our house. They literally do per surgery, even cancer treatment there. It is such a great hospital that even some American's bring their pets there. Despite spending $2000 there was no hope for little Millie, her kidneys were destroyed. She was made comfortable with medication and then brought home for her last five hours before a vet came and put her to sleep. We buried her in the garden.

All from a plant so please people, if you own a cat, or have friends that do, tell them how lethal even a beautiful lily can be and that it just isn't worth the chance. There are resources online www.petposionhelpline.com so make sure you know that any plant you bring around your cats isn't toxic. Don't do what I did and take the word of somebody else, check for yourself. I really loved that little cat, she slept on me and close to me many nights, and ultimately I killed her by being careless and I can assure you, it is an extremely difficult time for me right now and if I can help somebody else avoid this terrible pain, I will feel Millie's life wasn't wasted.

My heart goes out to you,as I know what it's like to lose a pet (cat) and the pain is at times almost unbearable. As for you thinking that you killed your cat, that crap as it is impossible to know ALL that can happen and hindsight is always right.Unfortunately s**t happens. Not your fault,cut yourself some slack.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 16
My heart goes out to you,as I know what it's like to lose a pet (cat) and the pain is at times almost unbearable. As for you thinking that you killed your cat, that crap as it is impossible to know ALL that can happen and hindsight is always right.Unfortunately s**t happens. Not your fault,cut yourself some slack.
Thanks, I can't help but blame myself, but you are correct I need to find a way to get past that. I am actually working out and trying to get over my anger at the person who brought me the lilies. He is very knowledgeable on so many subjects and he really seems to spend time learning. He is quite into plants so when he brought me these lilies he made a point of saying don't worry they are safe around cats. Now my cat is dead and we paid over $2000 trying to save her so needless to say I am extremely mad, but I also know that he meant well and despite why he felt they were safe was a silly reason, he really believed it to be true so it isn't like he thought he was going to hurt my cats. Frankly we are lucky all three of our cats didn't die.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 16
It´s not an usual thing to happen so it´s understandable it´s not on everyones radar. But shouldn´t say it if he hadn´t looked it up of course.

We had a cat die. You know the saying curiosity killed the cat? We had an outhouse down in the forest that we are pretty much never in. At some point the door was left open and of course she found the way in before it was closed. Then they went on vacation and I would look to her. She is an outdoor cat so very used to make by herself. Could be out some time due to her large space to patrolling so that she don´t come all the time was nothing to alarming. I was cutting the grass for some hours and was surprised she wouldn´t come when calling for her. I would probably heard here if it wasn´t for cutting the grass... Found her some days later. Alive but she was old already 18 years and her kidney couldn´t deal with it so we had to put her away. I am over it but so annoying.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 16
I'm VERY sorry to hear about loosing her... thankfully we look up what plants we bring in to the house for this reason because of our cat. I only learned of this because of my GF though. I would have never thought about it otherwise... we took a Jade plant out of the house because we were told it was toxic to cats.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 16
It´s not an usual thing to happen so it´s understandable it´s not on everyones radar. But shouldn´t say it if he hadn´t looked it up of course.

We had a cat die. You know the saying curiosity killed the cat? We had an outhouse down in the forest that we are pretty much never in. At some point the door was left open and of course she found the way in before it was closed. Then they went on vacation and I would look to her. She is an outdoor cat so very used to make by herself. Could be out some time due to her large space to patrolling so that she don´t come all the time was nothing to alarming. I was cutting the grass for some hours and was surprised she wouldn´t come when calling for her. I would probably heard here if it wasn´t for cutting the grass... Found her some days later. Alive but she was old already 18 years and her kidney couldn´t deal with it so we had to put her away. I am over it but so annoying.
That is sad, 18 is a decent age, but you never like losing a pet. Thanks for sharing your story, what was your cats name by the way?

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 16
I feel very sorry for that accident!

It's normal to have anger and sadness with a lose.

you ought to take more time to grieve over it. And take more time to rest too.
Thanks, I'm starting to feel a little better so the grieving process is happening as it should I guess.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm VERY sorry to hear about loosing her... thankfully we look up what plants we bring in to the house for this reason because of our cat. I only learned of this because of my GF though. I would have never thought about it otherwise... we took a Jade plant out of the house because we were told it was toxic to cats.
Whew, glad you two got the plants out. I'm surprised just how many are toxic to cats. I assume some are toxic but not necessarily lethal or we would hear about a lot more pet cat deaths from this. The vet who came to put Millie down for us did say it is more common than we might suspect with lilies, oleander and I believe she said castor bean plants being the most common in her experience. Still, it is preventable so my hope with this little thread is to at least get a few people talking about this and maybe they tell a few friends who tell a few friends ....

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 16
Smart. I totally agree in regards to getting the word out. I had NO idea about it until my gf told me. She only found out about it from volunteering at the cat clinic and that was a year ago.

I didn't know how common of a problem it is. Something to figure out soon as possible though if you do have pets

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks, I'm starting to feel a little better so the grieving process is happening as it should I guess.
Don't be afraid to cry or shout!

Grieving takes time. Just release all the sadness and anger, as much and as thoroughly as possible, as long as such expression didn't hurt others! Write a letter to Millie and tell her how much you love her, how much you miss her. Read the letter out.

If you really love her, consider to arrange a proper funeral and find a good cemetery, if you can afford. Also, many opt for cremation and than use dust remains to make a diamond like crystal to keep at home forever.

I have been reading a lot about near death experiences (NDE) since 1983. Pets have souls. There's testimony that if one has great relationship with the pets, ppl will meet them again after-life. It's up to you to believe it or not. But I believe in it.

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back