Venture into speakers, question about integrated amp
Dec 13, 2011 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vyyye

100+ Head-Fier

Hey,

Going to buy myself some real speakers eventually, just doing a bit of scouting now while I save up money. I received this from my dad who sold his speakers a while ago, problem is I don't really know what I'm dealing with.

What I'm thinking I'll do is go
ASUS Xonar Essence ST -> This amp -> Speakers, I'm assuming there shouldn't be any issue but then again I really have no idea, can't say I ever connected any integrated amp to my PC, or used any for anything for that matter.

Would I be correct in assuming this is enough amplifier for pretty much any speaker? Or is there anything more I need to be aware of? I found the spec sheet and posted it below, doesn't really tell me anything.

Been glancing a bit at Magnepan's but honestly not sure if they need some specific sort of amp due to them being planars, is there anything of this nature I have to keep in mind? Mainly looking at the €1000-€1800ish range, which I think the amp would be enough for.

Yeah, pretty much as new as it gets to speakers beyond the average Logitech computer speaker.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 7
This is a pretty powerful and oldschool Sansui amp from the mid-80'ies. If it's clean and in good condition it can drive a lot speakers well enough. You could consider sending them out to a pro to check it out and replace some caps. Theres bound to be a blown one or two in there after all those years. :) 

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
This is a pretty powerful and oldschool Sansui amp from the mid-80'ies. If it's clean and in good condition it can drive a lot speakers well enough. You could consider sending them out to a pro to check it out and replace some caps. Theres bound to be a blown one or two in there after all those years. :) 

Hah, that's good news at least. As far as I know it was working fine three years ago and has been neatly packaged since then. Wasn't even any dust on top of it when I unwrapped it, then again it has been in use for a while. I'll get my dad to take a look at it next time he's over. He works with electricity so presuming he'll be able to tell if something needs replacing.

Anyhow, cheers. Would have hated to finally set my eyes on speakers X only to realize the amp wasn't up to it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Yup, that amp is probably powerful enough to power pretty much any speaker in your price range. The specs are pretty good. If you're interested in speaker recommendations, let me know :)

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 7
Always up for recommendations! As said I'm mostly scouting now. Would like to narrow my options before I go hunting in stores getting an actual first hand impression, prefer to know about what I'm looking for rather than going in (well, taking the train to whichever city that sells them) completely blind.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Do you want floorstanders, stand-mounted, or bookshelfs? Or do you not particularly care?

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/580961/2000-speaker-budget-considering-a-b-w-600-series-thoughts/30#post_7972629

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 7
That link looks like it'll be very helpful, cheers.
As for what type I don't really care, I'll take whatevere has the most quality for the buck which I assume would be floorstanders. But if bookshelf ones are as good, by all means. I want it to be a be all end all system for me, space I can improvise with but the speakers will remain the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back