[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 28, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #7,263 of 7,442
There are so many variations of the Monk Plus. Do you have most of the colors?

No. I never really went mad on the Monk Plus, though recently bought the SPC version (might have been espresso), but haven't listened to it since it came off the burn station. Let's face it. I lost any self control I had on the other thread.

I did place an order for a bunch of Monk Lites though. Don't think they have shipped yet. Like the form factor and find them comfy for sleeping with. Similar shell to Qian 39, I think?

I did locate an OG Monk though. Heard so much about the Diomnes lv2.

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #7,265 of 7,442
Mar 1, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #7,266 of 7,442
Mar 1, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #7,267 of 7,442
From what I saw, it only seemed to be moedawg posting about it, but I'm intrigued. Never saw anything about the white Asura. 5000 points though. Ouch!

I only have 300 plus points.

Isn't some of this stuff meant to be collectors items? At the moment I am happy with what I have.

I’d like to call collecting the Venture Electronics Monk Pluses VE Go...

C3366216-399B-46EC-8ABA-FBD77F31F603.gif

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #7,269 of 7,442
hello, can somebody tell me what's the difference between monk lite Standard and SPC version, besides the fact that it has ex-pack lite and travelling case included?

SPC is a nicer more expensive cable

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #7,271 of 7,442
is it just better looking, or does it help with sound quality / microphonics / build quality? any other earbuds that match sound quality / price of ve monk plus or lite?

I am sure it is meant to be a better quality cable. It is a nice cable but I never hear any sound differences with cables. Others may have a different experience. It is never a good debate to start:)

As far as other choices you could visit the Earbuds Roundup thread and many users will have suggestions. It can be overwhelming. Do you already have some buds? If not, I think the Monk is a good place to start. Here is the thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-1925#post-14094161

Also, another thread just dedicated to budget buds:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/absolute-best-budget-earbuds.812853/

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #7,272 of 7,442
i've been mostly using iems. i have 2 generic / unbranded earbuds which are both very uncomfortable, so i decided to buy some better ones with proper foam pads. i was reading that "earbuds round up" thread but it has over hundred of pages worth of posts a month, so i really appreciate you linking that other thread. thanks a lot for help!

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #7,273 of 7,442
hello, can somebody tell me what's the difference between monk lite Standard and SPC version, besides the fact that it has ex-pack lite and travelling case included?
Silver Plated Copper to answer your question. In theory the plating of silver over the copper would keep the copper from tarnishing. Tarnish, that is metallic tarnish, is usually in the form of an oxide. Oxides are used to make ceramic insulators. Which means that its a material that does not conduct electricity. So if you have a copper wire that is 50% tarnish you have a wire that's only 50% as good as an untarnished version of the same wire. Next because of the physics of electricity high frequencies travel along the outside of a wire. So if you have a SPC cable you have silver which is a nominally better conductor of electricity carrying the high frequencies.

In practice the silver which costs more than copper is so thin it quickly becomes all tarnish and it is so thin that the copper underneath will still tarnish. However also in practice the idea of making a better cable may result in a better quality (purer) copper may be used or a thicker core be used so that the SPC cable can be a better conductor and provides a different sound.

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #7,274 of 7,442
joining the fan club. just got mine from the recent massdrop. very pleased with purchase.

never been a fan of earbuds for fit reasons but i grabbed the extras pack that had some silicone rings & earhooks. currently using the earhooks AND donuts, stem angled up to wrap cord over top of ear. very pleased with sound & really nice barely there feeling/fit. this combo has totally changed my feeling on earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back