Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Aug 25, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #271 of 662

AE is gonna take forever so I emailed Penon to see if they can help me buy it. Their shipping has been pretty solid in terms of speed. They end up charging more but their customer service makes up for it imo

Will see if they can list it in their store as well.

They are identical to the KZ foamies that came with my KZ ATE. They work better then the comply's for me in my gear (don't have the duke).  

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #272 of 662

They are identical to the KZ foamies that came with my KZ ATE. They work better then the comply's for me in my gear (don't have the duke).  

Nice catch! They definitely have their advantages compared to the Comply. the lack of a very sold inner core makes this mod possible, wouldnt be possible without decoring a perfectly good comply. Plus these ones work similar to silicon tips in terms of ease of insertion.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #273 of 662

If you were in Toronto, I wouldnt mind letting you have a listen to my pair actually. If you're ever in town let me know beforehand :)  

Thanks RedJohn456, I appreciate your kind offer. I am stuck here is Vancouver for the foreseeable future though. 

I wish I can compare it to my modded R2A.. if what you described earlier in this thread is accurate between Duke and R2A, I might just order a pair soon.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #275 of 662

Thanks RedJohn456, I appreciate your kind offer. I am stuck here is Vancouver for the foreseeable future though. 

I wish I can compare it to my modded R2A.. if what you described earlier in this thread is accurate between Duke and R2A, I might just order a pair soon.

No worries! I actually haven't heard a modded R2A, just my stock ones. Am waiting on a replacement pair from flare. Will try James444's mods and see how the R2A still compares to the Duke. Again that comparison was what I heard personally, ymmv a bit depending on if the R2A signature tickles your fancy or not (I kept missing the clarity of the Duke when trying the R2A. I wonder if the R2Pro is similar to Duke in terms of clarity?)

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #276 of 662

No worries! I actually haven't heard a modded R2A, just my stock ones. Am waiting on a replacement pair from flare. Will try James444's mods and see how the R2A still compares to the Duke. Again that comparison was what I heard personally, ymmv a bit depending on if the R2A signature tickles your fancy or not (I kept missing the clarity of the Duke when trying the R2A. I wonder if the R2Pro is similar to Duke in terms of clarity?)

You should try to do the James444's mod if you find R2A's bass quite emphasized for your taste. For me with his mod, or my own mod, R2A is much better sounding and SQ is on par with the R2PRO I had before (now sold).
When I crave for that extra clarity, I do have DN-2000J but I still want to try Duke soon. Maybe I will sell my RE-600 and IE-80 to fund a purchase. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #278 of 662

You should try to do the James444's mod if you find R2A's bass quite emphasized for your taste. For me with his mod, or my own mod, R2A is much better sounding and SQ is on par with the R2PRO I had before (now sold).
When I crave for that extra clarity, I do have DN-2000J but I still want to try Duke soon. Maybe I will sell my RE-600 and IE-80 to fund a purchase. 

Ah nice, I have wanted to hear the 2000J for myself with the praise its been getting :)  Yes the R2A is too bassy for me so I will see if his mods brings the bass down a bit. Just wanted to say, while using the mode from above, as long as the nozzle is flush with the tip, you get an awesome soundstage with all the details. The little circular band of cut tip silicon on the body prevents the tip from sliding any further down the iem body, as the tip I have is old and worn down.

Playing with the insertion and getting it right is making it sound better for me. Cant wait to hear the Duke out of the apogee groove when it gets here!

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #279 of 662
  Mochill is at work so he says can't post it now, but will post his whatsapp pics for him. cred to @mochill

Push the foam tip past the nozzle until they are flush with he nozzle opening. To my ears, this definitely makes the treble nicer. Bass seems more solid due to a better seal. To prevent it from slipping, on my pair I used a strip of silicon from the base of an older tip to act as a stop gap on the body of the Duke.

Here is what my pair looks like.

This is the best I have heard the Duke perform. Uniform top to bottom, with no loss of detail. 

@james444  See if this works for you after you're done tip rolling. Might be worth a shot. @Brooko also give it a try and see if it helps some :)  

Thanks, that's actually similar to what I've been doing for the last few days, just with Sony hybrids and the tea bag mod.

Adjusting the tips to sit flush with the nozzle allows for a very deep seal, which to my ears pushes resonant treble peaks mostly out of the sibilance range. The tea bag mod helps to further smooth out the highs. The Dukes are very nice IEMs imo, except for stock treble tuning which is among the sharpest / most piercing I've ever heard.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #280 of 662

Thanks, that's actually similar to what I've been doing for the last few days, just with Sony hybrids and the tea bag mod.

Adjusting the tips to sit flush with the nozzle allows for a very deep seal, which to my ears pushes resonant treble peaks mostly out of the sibilance range. The tea bag mod helps to further smooth out the highs. The Dukes are very nice IEMs imo, except for stock treble tuning which is among the sharpest / most piercing I've ever heard.

cool mod! I have no idea how you got the sony hybrid onto the duke body, the sony stem is so narrow. Awesome stuff. Have you had a chance to try the same thing with a foam tip? 

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #281 of 662
AE is gonna take forever so I emailed Penon to see if they can help me buy it. Their shipping has been pretty solid in terms of speed. They end up charging more but their customer service makes up for it imo

Will see if they can list it in their store as well.

Nice!

PM hakushondaimao :wink:

cool mod! I have no idea how you got the sony hybrid onto the duke body, the sony stem is so narrow. Awesome stuff. Have you had a chance to try the same thing with a foam tip? 

Patience, my son. Honestly, it can't be any harder than trying to get the grey triple flanges on. I was afraid I might mess up the cables getting those on, and it took a looong time!

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #282 of 662
Nice!
PM @hakushondaimao
wink.gif

Patience, my son. Honestly, it can't be any harder than trying to get the grey triple flanges on. I was afraid I might mess up the cables getting those on, and it took a looong time!

Fair point :p  I meant past the neck and onto the body itself. I will try it and see how it sounds later :wink:  I like the Triple flanges but they are too stiff. Also, they are not triple anymore since i cut one flange off, more comfy that way :p

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #283 of 662
Fair point :p  I meant past the neck and onto the body itself. I will try it and see how it sounds later :wink:  I like the Triple flanges but they are too stiff. Also, they are not triple anymore since i cut one flange off, more comfy that way :p

For some reason those triple flanges don't bother me. Those MEE triple flanges, though... So itchy... So, so itchy for me...

And gotcha about cramming hybrids flush with the nozzle. The clear / white single flanges sit nearly flush and that's too much treble for me. I'm liking a longer tube with Duke.

Sounds like Mo's gonna set me up with a pair of those foamies to try out. Awesome, possum!
fistbump.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #284 of 662

Also just wanted to add that VE should have added larger double flange tips, probably an oversight on their part.  I think they didn't account for the variations in ear canal sizes in different areas (My ear canals are on the smaller side as well). I am gonna ping them later to suggest including larger sizes so more people can get a good seal. 

For some reason those triple flanges don't bother me. Those MEE triple flanges, though... So itchy... So, so itchy for me...

And gotcha about cramming hybrids flush with the nozzle. The clear / white single flanges sit nearly flush and that's too much treble for me. I'm liking a longer tube with Duke.

Sounds like Mo's gonna set me up with a pair of those foamies to try out. Awesome, possum!
fistbump.gif

Sweet, dats what I am talking about. With a foam it sounds pretty dope actually, sitting flush I mean.

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #285 of 662

Also just wanted to add that VE should have added larger double flange tips, probably an oversight on their part.  I think they didn't account for the variations in ear canal sizes in different areas (My ear canals are on the smaller side as well). I am gonna ping them later to suggest including larger sizes so more people can get a good seal. 

I have large Hifiman biflanges that fit the Dukes. However, their tube is too long for my purpose. I need to get the nozzle exit almost to the 2nd bend (similar to the ER4S) in order to keep sibilance at bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back