Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Aug 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #211 of 662
@RedJohn456: Fiio sells silicon mats now instead of the little dots. I found the black dots Fiio provided slid around a lot, leaving an adhesive trail.

I much preferred the clear 3M dots that Cayin provides with C5. In the US, you can find those at Home Depot for a reasonable price.

Would you be able to post a pic of it later? I should be able to find it easily in local home depot stores in that case. I didn't know about the silicon mats, thanks for the heads up. yeah, the circular ones do slide around, and there some unsightly adhesive trails on the back of my e17

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #212 of 662
Duke is a nice IEM but treble peak can get a bit shrill. I don't have quite the same enthusiasm compared to say the DN2KJ. Still putting time on it - but not expecting any sonic changes TBH. Runabout is a very clean sounding amp. Not great for sensitive IEMs though (too little headroom on the pot). Marvellous with the Zen. Need another couple of weeks to get the VE stuff bedded in properly though.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #214 of 662
Waiting for Er4s comparison.  What bothers me most is the treble so how are they? If they are Vsonic kind of treble, I will pass on this since I hate Vsonic treble presentation.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #215 of 662
  Waiting for Er4s comparison.  What bothers me most is the treble so how are they? If they are Vsonic kind of treble, I will pass on this since I hate Vsonic treble presentation.

Ymmv, but I personally don't hear the treble as too peaky (with silicon tips nor foam tips). Again ymmv depending on gear, ear anatomy and tip selection. I am using the stock double flange silicon tips. I haven't heard the ER4S but I am sure someone with both might chime in eventually :wink:

Out of the box the treble was pretty bad not gonna lie, but with burn in, along with some healthy tip rolling, its pretty balanced for me now. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #218 of 662
@RedJohn456: Fiio sells silicon mats now instead of the little dots. I found the black dots Fiio provided slid around a lot, leaving an adhesive trail.

I much preferred the clear 3M dots that Cayin provides with C5. In the US, you can find those at Home Depot for a reasonable price.

The silicon mats are great. Nice thing is that they don't slip, and aren't permanent, so you throw one between two pieces of equipment when you need it, and don't when you don't.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #219 of 662
I recommend double sided tape.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z498/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g60_i3_sh

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #220 of 662
Duke is a nice IEM but treble peak can get a bit shrill. I don't have quite the same enthusiasm compared to say the DN2KJ. Still putting time on it - but not expecting any sonic changes TBH. Runabout is a very clean sounding amp. Not great for sensitive IEMs though (too little headroom on the pot). Marvellous with the Zen. Need another couple of weeks to get the VE stuff bedded in properly though.
I've been using the Duke and DN2KJ almost exclusively and IMHO they both have similar treble extension. Depending on the track being played one will sound more sibilant than the other.

I can tolerate them both because I don't listen to my music at loud volumes, but I can see how some people would find one or both to have too much of a spike up top for their preference.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #221 of 662
Aug 20, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #222 of 662

I couldn't find any pictures of the Runabout. But then I found this guy's great gallery:

http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/1001359/ve-runabout/

(thanks!)

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #223 of 662

Users who are viewing this thread

Back