VenturCraft Soundroid Typhoon
May 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 343

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought it deserves its own thread. Crossing my fingure that it has a low output impedance. This is exactly what I though the DD socket 1 needed. 

Just found this on their website.

New headphone amp that can do DSD. VentureCraft "SounDroid Typhoon"

This is insane.

UPDATE on 21/5/2013

1. The default opamp mounted on SounDroid "Typhoon" will be LME49860, changed from OP275.

2. The surface of SounDroid "Typhoon" will be hair-lined black semi-gross, changed from matte black no-gross.

Update: 31/5/2013

SounDroid "Typhoon"
The world's first "Real-time high-resolution upsampling" portable
amplifier.
OpAmp is socketed and is user-changeable.

<Other Distinctive Characteristics>
1. iDevice Digital Connecting

2. DSD Playback
*64DSD 88.2KHz/32bit

3. 3500mAh Large Battery
*iDevice charging is possible

4. Expandability
*Optical output / PC-DAC / Analog-line input / Optial input
*Mixing is also possible

5. Asynchronous Mode

6. Made-in-Japan

Releasing Date: e/June to mid/July, 2013
Price: 49800yen(=519USD)

High quality with zoom capability link:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c1/c1e4b6ff_SounDroidTyphoonproductinstroductionpanel.jpeg

May 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 343
Yesterday I spend about an hour talking with Hamada san from VentureCraft. Here are more information about Typhoon.

Output impedance: 10 Ω
Battery: 3500 mAh

There are two DAC chip. One for iDevice another for PC USB. iDevice DAC is TI PCM5102. USB DAC is from China/Taiwan SA9027 that can do DSD to PCM. For iDevice, they have an option to change sampling rate and bit depth for playback start from 48kHz/96kHz/192kHz and 16/24/32bit. 32bit is not implemented on this prototype but will included in the future. There will be only one version with OP275 OpAmp. You can switch to whatever OpAmp that you like. (I'm email to Hamada san asking about the limitation of OpAmp that can be place on Typhoon right now.) Typhoon use only one OpAmp. (Go-Dap X, DD Socket 1, and LE use two OpAmp. One per channel.)

Estimate available from mid to late June.

Price: 50,000 yen

Here are some picture.

May 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 343
I think they should experiment its practical possibilities before they just dismiss on the theoretical ground of it alone.
I ask them about the OI weather they can lower it or not. They said that It should be possible but they don't have the resistor to replace. Using lower OI might drain battery faster and might damage some of their circuit. 

May 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 343
Quote:
I ask them about the OI weather they can lower it or not. They said that It should be possible but they don't have the resistor to replace. Using lower OI might drain battery faster and might damage some of their circuit. 

Battery lasts less time but would work with IEMs much better !

May 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 343
Quote:
Battery lasts less time but would work with IEMs much better !

I already suggest them to consider lower OI for their future version. Their PCB design isn't done in house, so they have less freedom on how they can revise the PCB design.

Based on my Go-Dap X, you can possibly bypass the 10 or 47 Ω resistor easily. Just fill it with solder and you should have very low OI Go-Dap.

May 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 343
VentureCraft decided to switch the name "SounDroid Typhoon" to "Go-Dap X2"

OpAmp rolling spec.
- Must be DIP dual OpAmp
- SOIC dual OpAmp is compatible but require SOIC-DIP conversion.

Input voltage will be ±9V.

May 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 343
We saw a version in e-earphone with metal-can OPA627s, interestingly. I didn't get around to trying this at the show unfortunately. 

May 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 343
We saw a version in e-earphone with metal-can OPA627s, interestingly. I didn't get around to trying this at the show unfortunately. 
That was actually the DD we saw. It's a DAC only like the CLAS. They don't have the 627SM metal caps in the X2.

May 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 343
That explains my confusion then. I remember being confused in the store why it didn't have an amp.

May 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 343
I really hope they revise their board and ensure that their output impedance is less than 2 ohms. 10 Ohm would not work for lot of us. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back