Velour Pads for SRH840's?
Oct 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
Thoroughly digging my SRH840's, but already am trying to find a way to get some velour pads to try to replace the (very nice) leather pads. I listen to headphones about 8 hours a day and leather can get a little sticky for that long a period. Anyone with the SRH840's have other phones that might be switchable. The Beyer pads look delicious, but they are more circle than oval and I am not sure if they will fit.

Any ideas?

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 10
I am pretty sure that velour pads will degrade the sound of the Shures. They usually make headphones sound more laid back and the Shures are already sufficiently relaxed sounding with the stock pleather pads. This is just a guess of course.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Pianist, I see that at one point you had the Senn HD25-1 II's. Did you try them with both velour and pleather? How big a difference did they make to you? To my ears, which I am already beginning to suspect differ from a lot of people here, I still had ample bass when using the velours, and I am not sure I noticed too much more a difference with anything else other than some slightly less isolation. Having only the Senn's and my Shure E2C's to compare to, I am not sure if I would notice or mind if the SRH840's changed a tad. Not even sure what relaxed means other than nothing hurts my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Only reason I ask is because some people talked about hearing drastic differences between velour and pleather, but I didn't notice it to nearly as large a degree. I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig on SQ, but I don't have the resources to sample different pads to see what would fit.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 10
I got your PM and am working on this currently. It's going to take a little work and I've got to cannibalize my set, but I should be able to get some out in a couple weeks (I hope).

If not I should be able to make a frame to get the beyers to fit, as others have done with ultrasones.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I am also wondering this same question, anyone try to put Beyer DT250 velour pads on the SRH840? or anyone own these 2 headphones can give some insights?

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lxxl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also wondering this same question, anyone try to put Beyer DT250 velour pads on the SRH840? or anyone own these 2 headphones can give some insights?

I am using the velour DT250 pads on my HFi-780s and thought they would work on my SRH-840s as well. Nope, they didn't work. The DT250 velour pads are the right shape but are just too small. I tried to stretch them a bit to get them on but they just wouldn't go.

Now, if I can find a slightly larger velour pad I would think that would work fine. The search continues.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 10
FYI, changing the pads you'll lose a lot of SRH840 sound.

If you are interested, you can look at the mod I have done for my SRH840.

Shure SRH840 earpad mod

Edit: I noticed you already aware of my other thread, but good info for others regardless.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just just took delivery of a pair of SRH750DJs and their sound is about perfect for my eardrums... but I could use a bit more comfort on the outside - mine lugs only just squeeze inside the pads (what is it with round headphones? How many people have got circular ears?).

I don't really want to look like I'm wearing socks on my head, so has anyone had any success with a) a deeper leather pad or b) a velour pad that fits the Shure design? 

I understand it might change the 750's sound... as has already been said, I'll happily give it a go if someone can tell me an alternative will fit. Otherwise I'll have no option other than to break out the sock drawer and scissors...

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by lxxl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am using the velour DT250 pads on my HFi-780s and thought they would work on my SRH-840s as well. Nope, they didn't work. The DT250 velour pads are the right shape but are just too small. I tried to stretch them a bit to get them on but they just wouldn't go.

Now, if I can find a slightly larger velour pad I would think that would work fine. The search continues.

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/sennheiser-replacement-pads-for-hd650-hd600-and-hd580.php

Sennheiser Replacement Pads for HD650, HD600 and HD580 ^ I suggest you try those before I do it :wink:, I can't see them as being too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back