Velodyne subs
Jun 3, 2004 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ampgalore

Headphoneus Supremus
I just purchased a Velodyne SPL-1200 series II sub for a good price. The sub will be here next week. Do you guys know are the upper range velodyne models, including this one, musical (fast bass response)?

This particular model has a 1000watt built in amp, and a woofer cone made of kevlar, in a sealed enclosure. I don't care for brute power, what I need is fast bass response that can keep up with my music.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the Velodyne HGS-10, which is the predecessor of the digital subs they have now.

It's a small, 12" cube of thundering, neighbor annoying, goodness.
evil_smiley.gif

Once you go servo, it's hard to go back to boomy and slow subs.

-Ed

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 8
Re: SPL 1200 II

IMHO, not the absolute pinnacle in musicality in it's price range, but it does move your trousers and gives the best oomph for movies. It lacks the lowest of lows (sharp decline after 25Hz) and has some roundness in it's details, which can also be quite pleasing (somewhat slow decay when you look at the waterfall plot). Good design really shows in lack of distortion at very high intensities (correction: this model has no servo).

Good as a combination for music/movies, imho.

cheers,
halcyon

Jun 4, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Since I have no experience with this model, I was hesitant to reply. Anyway, Velodyne subs are more of sound-reinforcement for large towers than anything else. If you have large towers for music, turn on the sub and have an awesome movie system..that's Velodyne's purpose.

Jun 4, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Then is there a more "musical" sub that you guys recommend?

I really like a 10in sub that is fast and musical. I thought of Hsu subs as well, but just didn't like them when I heard them.

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 8
I disagree strongly with the generalization in D-EJ915's post. I own both a Rel Storm III and a Velodyne DD12. The Rel has a great reputation among MUSIC LOVERS (not movie watchers) as a fine sub...and the Velodyne is better.

Combining the sound of a a sub seamlessly with electrostatic speakers is one of the most difficult things to accomplish. Check this month's Stereophile for the story of how a reviewer did just that with his Quad 989s and Velodyne DD18.

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 8
You should really try Von Schweikert VR-S/1. It's a compact size sub that's super fast and can integrate seemlessly with most speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back