Veggie Girl Strikes Again!
Jan 22, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #31 of 61
I'm going to be bashed, but I might as well say it... I think vegetarians and vegans are nutters. I'm not going around yelling at them persay, but I just find it insane that anyone would choose beans, lentils, and the like over a Large Hunk 'O Meat [TM].

Jan 22, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
The worst franks are Ballpark brand franks by colonial. No flavor, loaded with fillers and injected with water (which makes them "plump" up) and only God or the devil knows where the meat comes from.

Are you talking about the same Ballpark franks that Michael Jordan used to do commercials for? Cause I mean...if he likes `em, they HAVE to be good, right?
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I'm going to be bashed, but I might as well say it... I think vegetarians and vegans are nutters. I'm not going around yelling at them persay, but I just find it insane that anyone would choose beans, lentils, and the like over a Large Hunk 'O Meat [TM].

Amen! There's just something not right about a man if he can't sit down and devour a big, bloody, juicy ribeye or prime rib.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
In fact she's went the next step and became Vegan (no products from animals at all, no eggs, cheese, milk).

I went through that before. My mom decided to go vegan, so I indirectly became mostly vegan. Stay away from soy milk... it's nothing more than poorly flavored water as far as I'm concerned. But the tofu cheese is acceptable, nothing spectacular but not bad. All the essentials are fine outside of milk. Just buy your own milk and you should survive.

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Are you talking about the same Ballpark franks that Michael Jordan used to do commercials for? Cause I mean...if he likes `em, they HAVE to be good, right?
tongue.gif

Same awful franks!
etysmile.gif

sometimes you take the money and ...

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
In fact she's went the next step and became Vegan (no products from animals at all, no eggs, cheese, milk).

eek.gif
Hang on to your leather shoes - they'll be the next thing to go... It'll be a kaftan and plastic flip-flops before you know it!
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I went through that before. My mom decided to go vegan, so I indirectly became mostly vegan. Stay away from soy milk... it's nothing more than poorly flavored water as far as I'm concerned. But the tofu cheese is acceptable, nothing spectacular but not bad. All the essentials are fine outside of milk. Just buy your own milk and you should survive.

I've been vegan for a while. I think the better brands (maybe you had a bad one?) of soy milk are better than dairy milk. I find most of the vegan cheese products to be nearly unpalatable. Funny how people can have wildly different tastes.

Most people don't think of this, but the three great cuisines (chinese, indian, italian [and by great I mean nearly all modern cuisine is derived from them, I'm not making judgements about how tasty they are]) use far less meat than we commonly do in America. There are chinese and japanese buddhist cuisines which are nearly entirely vegan, as well as being older and better developed than american cuisine. Most vegetarians haven't been so their entire life and no exactly what they are missing. Most don't care.

BTW, I've never even seen the Heinz Vegetarian beans, I buy all my canned beans at Whole Foods though because the gf is allergic to EDTA which seems to be in all the non organic brands.

BTW Todd, I'm glad your wife is benefitting from the positive health aspects of the vegetarian diet. If she is looking for any cookbooks I highly recommend Bryanna Clark Grogan's. Bryanna has a really good palate so the recipes aren't underseasoned or kinda weird like they can get in some vegetarian cookbooks. All of her books are vegan, the two ethnic ones are my favorites, most of the rest focus on low fat, but they have some of the best low fat recipes (vegan or not) I have ever had.

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #39 of 61
I can't possibly go vegan, although my roommate is. I would die without sushi and sashimi. T.T Oh, and steak. Do not take my steak away, or I will cry so much that you drown in my tears. =P

And even though I'm a girl, I like my steak rare.
icon10.gif
I mean, just show it to the grill, and it's done!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
And even though I'm a girl, I like my steak rare.
icon10.gif
I mean, just show it to the grill, and it's done!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Eeew
eek.gif
If you can't put a window through with my steak it aint cooked enough!
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #41 of 61
I grew up on a small beef farm. I ate tons of beef every night! My garage-sale rig sucked.
frown.gif

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years. And now my rig is fun!
580smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif

Draw your conclusions!
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
I've been a vegetarian for 12 years. And now my rig is fun!
580smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif

Would this have anything to do with PETA's "meat is bad for male performance" ad campaign?

Jan 22, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Eeew
eek.gif
If you can't put a window through with my steak it aint cooked enough!
tongue.gif

Well done is roughly the same as charred black. There's no taste. Why would you pay good money for a burnt steak, when burnt hamburger will taste the same? It's all crunchy once burnt. Medium-rare is about as high as you can cook a steak and still maintain it's texture and taste. That's how I like mine. Some blood, but a bit warmer than rare. That's the main reason I don't like rare; it just doesn't get hot enough. I don't want it cold.

Jan 22, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Be glad she didn't get vegetarion Tuna called "Tuno". Man that stuff is freaky.

-Ed

LOL That kind of stuff always makes me laugh when I see it at Trader Joe's. Tofurkey. "Um, how about no...Scott?"

What I think is funny is that I eat WAY more vegetables since I went on Atkins a year ago than I ever used to. I probably eat slightly less fruit just because it's more carby and some tastes almost too sweet, but the vegetables have gone way up. Mainly because if you're following it strictly, vegetables are one of the major things you are allowed to eat. You don't want to be hungry, yet there is only so much steak or bacon or rich cheese that you can eat, so veggies fill in. Before, I'd just eat more junk, or the vegetable with a family meal would be along the lines of a baked potato or french fries. I think that's hilarious, because everyone has this notion that Atkins is all meat, all the time. Yet a typical dinner for me might be a chicken breast (or steak, or salmon, or pork chop) and somewhere between one and two cups of green beans (or broccoli, or vegetable du jour). If I'm still hungry, it's about 50/50 on having another portion of meat or a bunch more vegetables (or maybe a chunk of cheese for variety).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back