VE Monk IE Biggie and Smalls - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #78 of 188
Correct, they're out of stock, unfortunately... Anyone knows when they'll be back? Couldn't get an answer from Lee, he's either too busy or doesn't know
Probably he doesn't know himself: there is always some mileage depending on the QC of the manufacturer but I bet it will be before mid December.

They should be in stock very soon. probably first week of december

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #79 of 188
I've had the VE IEMs for a few days now, I have to say that they just don't work for me. The sound seems a little muffled and it's not quite right.

I've tried 3 different DAC/Amps + cables all have the same issue, maybe I got a bad batch but both are a big let down.:confused:

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #80 of 188
I've had the VE IEMs for a few days now, I have to say that they just don't work for me. The sound seems a little muffled and it's not quite right.

I've tried 3 different DAC/Amps + cables all have the same issue, maybe I got a bad batch but both are a big let down.:confused:
even with 50/100 hours burn in? I remember the duke were butchering my ears out of the box and are now buttersmooth after some break in

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #81 of 188
36+ hours on the smalls, the better of the two. There's been little to no improvement in the last 12 hours really. They've been running constantly since they arrived.

Personally I'm not a big believer in burn in but I want to give these IEMs every chance before I write them off.

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #82 of 188
36+ hours on the smalls, the better of the two. There's been little to no improvement in the last 12 hours really. They've been running constantly since they arrived.

Personally I'm not a big believer in burn in but I want to give these IEMs every chance before I write them off.
Most people say biggies are better. Furthermore, you described smalls as "muffled", and because biggies have a flatter sound signature, they will likely sound much better to you. (p.s. I haven't tried either yet)

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #83 of 188
I haven't fully burned these in yet, but I was immediately more intrigued with Biggie. It's higher impedance, but quite sensitive. While you can drive it from a relatively low powered source, it's best to give it as much power as possible. With that in mind, it certainly sounds better from my 1100mw mini tube amp than any other amp/source component I have, without a doubt.

Initially Biggie is unimpressive. They sound like speakers with blown tweeters. You need to burn them in for awhile and they start to open up. The midrange is full and everything has a thick, lush sound, but is soupy. Separation and imaging improves with burn in as well. Soungstage is pretty great here, but with the initial lack of treble extension, it can be difficult to tell. Finding the right tips is extremely important. I thought they sounded really strange at first until I spent an hour going through my tip collection and found a perfect size that tunneled the sound correctly into my ear. This is imperative - maybe moreso with these than any other IEM I've heard so if they sound funny - do yourself a favor and spend time with various tips.

With everything in it's right place - correct tips and the right amount of burn in, these are truly outstanding.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #84 of 188
Tried my full range of tips and all the ones in the supplied - I've tried Cozoy Aegis, Dragonfly Black, B&O Play and direct from the iPhone. The sound is pretty much similar from all, there's a lack of clarity and in particular a lack of treble compared to my prefered IEMs - Moni One, Tinaudio T2. I'm a treble head and I don't like too much bass so I'm guessing the tuning just doesn't suit me.

All is not lost I like the metal case and Cap VE Monk, plus if I buy a 0.78 earphone I can use the cables on them. My only regret is I didn't stump up the extra cash and get the Duke.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #85 of 188
I haven't fully burned these in yet, but I was immediately more intrigued with Biggie. It's higher impedance, but quite sensitive. While you can drive it from a relatively low powered source, it's best to give it as much power as possible. With that in mind, it certainly sounds better from my 1100mw mini tube amp than any other amp/source component I have, without a doubt.

Initially Biggie is unimpressive. They sound like speakers with blown tweeters. You need to burn them in for awhile and they start to open up. The midrange is full and everything has a thick, lush sound, but is soupy. Separation and imaging improves with burn in as well. Soungstage is pretty great here, but with the initial lack of treble extension, it can be difficult to tell. Finding the right tips is extremely important. I thought they sounded really strange at first until I spent an hour going through my tip collection and found a perfect size that tunneled the sound correctly into my ear. This is imperative - maybe moreso with these than any other IEM I've heard so if they sound funny - do yourself a favor and spend time with various tips.

With everything in it's right place - correct tips and the right amount of burn in, these are truly outstanding.
Do you think FiiO E17k will be enough to drive them decently? Maybe with high gain?

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #86 of 188
Tried my full range of tips and all the ones in the supplied - I've tried Cozoy Aegis, Dragonfly Black, B&O Play and direct from the iPhone. The sound is pretty much similar from all, there's a lack of clarity and in particular a lack of treble compared to my prefered IEMs - Moni One, Tinaudio T2. I'm a treble head and I don't like too much bass so I'm guessing the tuning just doesn't suit me.

All is not lost I like the metal case and Cap VE Monk, plus if I buy a 0.78 earphone I can use the cables on them. My only regret is I didn't stump up the extra cash and get the Duke.

The Duke would indeed be a better option for your preferences, it's a huge step up in both price and performance. The Duke is very revealing, quite an effort for a company's first IEM's.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #89 of 188
My only regret is I didn't stump up the extra cash and get the Duke.
the Duke as a lack in subbass with a small mid bass bump which is kind of its weakness however the mids and especially the treble is incredible. Its totally inefficient though and needs a monster amp and proper tips (deep insertion or spinfit) otherwise it can be peaky. I think this explained why it got mixed reception and went somewhat under the radar.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #90 of 188
the Duke as a lack in subbass with a small mid bass bump which is kind of its weakness however the mids and especially the treble is incredible. Its totally inefficient though and needs a monster amp and proper tips (deep insertion or spinfit) otherwise it can be peaky. I think this explained why it got mixed reception and went somewhat under the radar.

Hmmm, sounds more and more like my thang!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back