Vastly improve your DAC1 at no cost (but great risk!)
Mar 4, 2006 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

yanfeng

100+ Head-Fier
I was sent a copper wire "fuse" for my Benchmark DAC1 as a gift. I boldly replace the original fuse with it. The result is astonishing. Much more tranparency. Much more details. Much better HF extension. I just can't believe it.
I just want you to share my joy, but not encourage you to do the same experiment. It might destroy you DAC1 at a fraction of a second. And once you heard the sound of the copper "fuse", there would be no going back.
I'm just curious if there are real fuse of hifi quality to achieve the same purpose. If so, will the hifi fuse as good as the copper one?

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by yanfeng
I'm just curious if there are real fuse of hifi quality to achieve the same purpose. If so, will the hifi fuse as good as the copper one?

I can't remember who makes them, but there are gold-plated fuses aimed for hi-fi market. I think they cost about $25 each.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
I can't remember who makes them, but there are gold-plated fuses aimed for hi-fi market. I think they cost about $25 each.

Isoclean.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
A fuse is a passive component in the system, installed there to avoid risk of fire or increased damage to the system if a component somewhere in there should short/shunt!
If this happens, the fuse installed is rated to take a certain amount of Amperes, and if the amount of Amperes is getting higher than what the fuse is rated for,the fuse is supposed to break/cut the power.
Any modification of fuses in a system is, at least here in Norway, illegal!
And dangerous!
If you replace a fuse with a nail, a spike of copper, or wrapping tin-foil around it to make it last longer, the legal implications for you, if something goes wrong, is very uncertain. But most certainly not good!
Stay away from modifications of your equipment, unless you really know what you are doing!
Especially on components related to power from the mains!
There really should be a warning about this somewhere visible here on this site!
And if you really think installing a solid copper-"fuse" in your system improve the sound, the only possible explanations to this are:
1: A totally incorrect design of your equipment, designed to provide too little power to your circuits.
2: Poor quality fuses.
3: A problem with poor connection in your fuse-holder, and that the solid copper-"fuse is bigger and therefore makes better connection in the holder.

I think you are confused. It might be illegal to alter or bypass a fuse in a house's electrical system but it isn't in a consumer device.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
Try tell the police that, if they find that a fire in your house was started because your DAC had an incorrect fuse and was the cause to the fire!
A friend of mine experienced that, with a heater/blower in his garage, "fixed" with an intermediate internal coupling to the heater in the blower when he needed to dry the garage out quick.
After the fire-department had left, the police investigated, found the cause of the fire to be the heater (with the "fixed" coupling).
And in addition to a heavy fine for beeing reponsible for the fire, the insurance was also reduced because the police had already fined him!
No people hurt, no serious charge here, but this was only a separate garage!
And I believe the courts in the USA to be even more strict than the Norwegian courts!
So my warning about tampering with mains-powered equipment still stands.

i doubt there would be criminal charges in the states unless someone died in the fire or it damaged someone elses property. your insurance would be toast, though.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 21
labrat,
Thank you for your kind advice and warning. I will replace the copper wire with a genuine audiophile fuse for safety.
My DAC1 is connected to a power cleaner which has a real fuse of its own, so I presume my DAC1 is relatively safe even without a fuse, but I will listen to you.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 21
Don't get conned-fused.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back