Vancouver Meet Impressions and Pics : May 14th, 2005
May 19, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 21
I could do something like this again next month - it didnt take much organization, and I have another place we can go next month - UBC!
biggrin.gif

From one university to the other
tongue.gif

May 19, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 21
Hey guys!

Thank god I found this thread!

Do you guys have any opinions on the Bada PH-1 vs G&W when powering the SA5000s? Which one fares better? Are they better than the micro?

Thanks a lot!
Adrian Kwok.

May 19, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 21
Thanks to RMX for organizing the meet.
I didn't listen to too much stuff because I didn't get much sleep the night before and was very tired.
To be honest, I didn't really like the SA5k's that much. I thought the mids sounded kinda strange. It had alot of nice low end bass but it seemed some what to not be balanced and have too much low end bass relative to the rest of the bass spectrum.
For the Beyer 770/80s, It had strong bass, but the bass wasn't as strong as I expected due to all the hype on forums. But I thought they were nice but I foudn the highs a bit harsh.
I thought the AKG 240/s were okay. I didn't hate them and I didn't love them. I liked the mids.
I didn't like the ms2's that much, but I'm just not a grado person. But I did like the RS1 with the Bada amp. They seemed to synergize very well. It was much better than with the G&W J1 or whatever it's called.
This time I enjoyed the Beyer 880s but I think I should have them more of a listen next time I am able to.
I didn't listen to the Supermacro because I don't want to spend anymore money on a portable setup but I kinda feel now that I should have atleast gave one a try.

May 22, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #19 of 21
This is off topic but my AKG K240S aren't working too well (no sound coming out of right), I am wondering if you guys know of any stores in Vancouver that can help me fix it?

May 22, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 21
Didnt notice this thread last week after the meet, nice to see its up...

props to RMX for setting up the meet, it was sweet...

Impressions of the gear there... my favs have got to be the Grados, both the RS1s and the MS2s... Second would be the Beyer DT880, even though they need a LOT of juice to pump...

yeah, there were a lot of Portable sources, i was thinking of bringing my cheapo vintage Luxman dedicated CD player, but i assumed somebody would have brought some sources...

the cigar box amps were very nice... natsuiro's tube amp was sweet, esp with the pair of Vintage Senn HD540's... damn smoooooooth....

May 25, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 21
HAHha I guess i get the award for finding this thread last
biggrin.gif

Ya, it was a helluva lotta fun. VERY nice, friendly people with a LOTTA expensive toys. Because of the meet, I know that i'm a grado fan, and that amps can improve sound dramatically.

My fav set up was ms-2's and supermacro v3. Someday, they'll be mine... someday. [keep in mind that i didn't even get close to trying 1/3 of the stuff that was there]

Carbonman, I'm glad to hear that you got the Sekoya CD. Coinicidentally, before I read this forum, I heard the whole album again today
cool.gif

Anarchris, the shures I brought were e3's
icon10.gif

I hope everyone's summer's going well, and do let me know if there's another meet [Unfortunately, I won't be here in June...]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back