Van Helsing Movie
Apr 21, 2004 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Can't wait for this movie, will actually spend money to see it at a theater!
biggrin.gif

Hopefully there will at least be a minimal plot to accompany the stunning visuals shown in trailers. Van Helsing will be played by Hugh Jackman (Xmen) and his female sidekick is the stunning Kate Beckinsale (gothic vamp in movie Underworld) I loved the movie Underworld........this could be even better.

Director is same guy who did the "Mummy" series which also was action packed with great visuals, special EFX and good character development. How can you loose with movie that has:
-Dracula
-Wolfman
-Frankenstein
and other assorted nasties all in one action packed flix. Everyone from "darkest desire" music thread this is required viewing.
cool.gif

Beckinsale

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 59
Be better if dracula was like alucard (in personality) in Hellsing the anime
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 59
I probably won't go to opening night (almost never do that for any movie), but I am highly anticipating Van Helsing!

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoner
Kate Beckinsale was major :drool: in Underworld, so I expect major :drool: x2 in this one. Count me in for opening night.

Yea.......that was one sexy vamp, she can tap my vein anytime.
biggrin.gif

More Beckinsale from VH:

B1
B2
B3

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 59
yeah, this kinda reminds of that flick, "Monster Squad." I definitely plan on seeing it.

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 59
i was sort of looking forward to this, but after hellboy, i'm practically swearing off all comic-book related action movies for the rest of my life (cept for spiderman 2, of course).

who knows, the film certainy looks fun to watch from the stuff i've seen. i didn't even finish watching underworld though, maybe beckinsale will be better in this one.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 59
Personally, I can't wait for the movie either. Another friend of mine has been gung-ho about it ever since the trailer when we saw Underworld (also great). We'll likely end up going.

And KR... no, it's not just about CGI. As DarkAngel pointed out, The Mummy's director is doing this one. The Mummy was definitely *not* just about CGI. If you want a great example about a movie totally devoted to CGI that sucked in every other way, The Core is a perfect example. Probably 95% of the movie was CGI, literally, near the end. Sucked, too. Glad I didn't waste any money at the theater for that.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 59
Kate Beckinsdale, while attractive, needs to work on her accent. It was laughably bad. What is it supposed to be? German? Russian? Hungarian? It is just sort of "eastern", but pretty dreadful. The movie looks extremely sappy, but hey, I like my movies sappy -- I am comfortable with that. I work hard enough that I just want my entertainment (outside of music, literature and art etc.) to be corny. For example -- I am currently in a quarter long seminar on fascism, and after preparing a presentation on the historiography of Hitler, the last thing that I would want to watch would be Schindler's List.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Personally, I can't wait for the movie either. Another friend of mine has been gung-ho about it ever since the trailer when we saw Underworld (also great). We'll likely end up going.

And KR... no, it's not just about CGI. As DarkAngel pointed out, The Mummy's director is doing this one. The Mummy was definitely *not* just about CGI. If you want a great example about a movie totally devoted to CGI that sucked in every other way, The Core is a perfect example. Probably 95% of the movie was CGI, literally, near the end. Sucked, too. Glad I didn't waste any money at the theater for that.

(-:Stephonovich:)

The trailers look really bad, but who knows maybe it won't be so bad, but I'll wait until it's on TV to find out.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 59
I thought the trailer (the one I saw in the theater when I went to see Hellboy) looked like good dumb special-effects-laden fun. I go for that every once in a while. It'll be a nice break.

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 59
I do want to see this. The commercial looked fun and very attractive/gothic. When the 'Van Helsing" titled appeared I said I wanna see it. I've a weakness for vampires. But being the director of 'The Mummy' makes me wonder as I didn't like it, especially the acting.

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I do want to see this. The commercial looked fun and very attractive/gothic. When the 'Van Helsing" titled appeared I said I wanna see it. I've a weakness for vampires. But being the director of 'The Mummy' makes me wonder as I didn't like it, especially the acting.

I really liked the Mummy series of movies, although it was more of an "Indiana Jones" style with wise cracking characters etc. The visuals I thought were very well done and the action pacing was quite effective.

Van Helsing I suspect the character interaction here will be more along the lines of "Underworld" a more serious gothic action sense and not a vampire spoof.......all speculation at this point, hard to judge from short trailer.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 59
They're currently doing alot of re-edits to this. Evidently the test screenings didn't go that well. Will I go see it? Yep...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back