Value of Sony MDR-R10 and what kind of headphone amp?
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

philipnl

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

My father in law gave me his Sony MDR-R10. He found it too much of a hassle to sell it. I love the clear sound.
What headphone amp is recommend?

Are there common problems with this iconic headphone? Do you recommend to check it by Sony?

It has the case, but no manuals.
Does anyone if it's still has any value?

Kind regards,
Philip

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 12
Wow, congrats!

It has a lot of value and rarely comes up for sale. It is one of the most wanted collectable among headphone enthusiasts.

I recommend a good tube amplifier for giving body to the sound. I have Leben CS300XS myself and enjoy every second of it.

There are a few threads discussing about amping the R10 for example:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/which-tube-amp-for-sony-mdr-r10.562098/

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 12
There's one for sale for 2000€ on some italian site. Thats the cheapest I've seen. Most I've seen have had asking price around 7000usd.

Maybe they've come down in value since the release of z1r.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 12
There's one for sale for 2000€ on some italian site. Thats the cheapest I've seen. Most I've seen have had asking price around 7000usd.

Maybe they've come down in value since the release of z1r.

Scam alert! Those French, Italian and Belgian ads are fake! It is the same ad with the same pictures copied from another old ad. I have verified that myself. Seller wants only wire transfer in advance. No other pictures with date or anything available.

Asking prices have been around 7-10k depending on the condition. R10 aftermarket prices will only go up because of the rarity and unique offering from Sony. Newer releases do not affect the value of R10.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 12
Well, selling in person is always the best IMO. Personally, I’d trust a person here (with good previous trade history) over an eBay buyer, but I think it’s up to you to determine how much risk you (and your father in law) are willing to take on.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 12
From classifieds posting guide:
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/for-sale-and-trade-forums-faq.13112/#q2

"
- Are there any posting limits or restrictions for the For Sale/Trade forums?

Yes. Anyone wishing to post a thread in the For Sale/Trade forums must be a member of Head-Fi for over thirty (30) days, and have over fifteen (15) posts. If you have not met these requirements, you will not see the option to create a new classified.

Please note that after you've made your 15th post (if you already have been a member for 30 days), the system may take up to one hour to update before you will have access.

WARNING: Posting nonsense or useless posts to get to your 15 required posts is not allowed. If it is found that you reached the requirement by making such posts, your For Sale/Trade forum privileges may be revoked indefinitely, and you may be banned at least temporarily.
"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back