Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 27, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #5,791 of 6,436
For your Vali 2 or 2+?
I have a couple EH tubes including the 6922. I just bond with them… most people like them - I find them a little bright and thin. But I don’t plan on selling mine :)
Vali 2 original. Planned to upgrade to the 2+ but I figured it would be better to eat the extra cost and go to the Valhalla. I'm driving an HD800S so I'm not worried about sensitivity, and would prefer the extra power.

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #5,795 of 6,436
Hey everyone, I'm planning on ordering the Vali 2+ soon for my 6XXs, and I was hoping I could get some help picking out a tube or two to try. I'll probably also be getting the Modi Multibit in the next couple months. I'm looking for a tube that will widen the soundstage a bit, give more of a "tubey" sound with good detail and timbre, be somewhat relaxed and pleasant (I just don't want anything fatiguing), and not be extremely hot. Assuming all those boxes get ticked then having a nice glow would also be a plus. I've looked on Upscale Audio, Tube Depot, Viva Tubes, TC Tubes, and Brent Jessee's site, and I've put together this list:

EH 6922 - $19
EH 6CG7 - $24
Voskhod Rocket 6N1P-EV - $14
Voskhod Rocket 6N23P - $22
Reflector 6N23P-EV - $37
RCA Cleartop 6CG7, side mounted getter - $20
Western Electric 396A - $60 (+$10 adapter)
Siemens 6DJ8 - $45
Amperex Bugleboy 6DJ8 - $49

Obviously I don't expect anyone to have heard all of these, but any guidance would be helpful. Is the WE 396A thought of by most as being by far the best among these? I'm not opposed to spending the money if it will really be a noticeable difference. The EH tubes seem pretty hit or miss based on all the posts I've read. The 6N1P-EV seems like it'll get pretty hot and I've seen a few people say it's a bit on the aggressive-sounding side. Also is the Reflector worth the extra money over the non-EV Voskhod 6N23? Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #5,796 of 6,436
Hey everyone, I'm planning on ordering the Vali 2+ soon for my 6XXs, and I was hoping I could get some help picking out a tube or two to try. I'll probably also be getting the Modi Multibit in the next couple months. I'm looking for a tube that will widen the soundstage a bit, give more of a "tubey" sound with good detail and timbre, be somewhat relaxed and pleasant (I just don't want anything fatiguing), not be extremely hot. Assuming all those boxes get ticked then having a nice glow would also be a plus. I've looked on Upscale Audio, Tube Depot, Viva Tubes, TC Tubes, and Brent Jessee's site, and I've put together this list:

EH 6922 - $19
EH 6CG7 - $24
Voskhod Rocket 6N1P-EV - $14
Voskhod Rocket 6N23P - $22
Reflector 6N23P-EV - $37
RCA Cleartop 6CG7, side mounted getter - $20
Western Electric 369A - $60 (+$10 adapter)
Siemens 6DJ8 - $45
Amperex Bugleboy 6DJ8 - $49

Obviously I don't expect anyone to have heard all of these, but any guidance would be helpful. I'd prefer to get something that will be good bang for my buck. Is the WE 396A thought of by most as being by far the best among these? I'm not opposed to spending the money if it will really be a noticeable difference. The EH tubes seem pretty hit or miss based on all the posts I've read. The 6N1P-EV seems like it'll get pretty hot and I've seen a few people say it's a bit on the aggressive-sounding side. Also is the Reflector worth the extra money over the non-EV Voskhod 6N23? Any help is really appreciated.
Do you have a $$ limit ? I ask because with adapters, other tube types can come “into play”. If you wish to stay in the 6DJ8/6922 tube type, some that I have used and very much liked (in Schiit Valhalla II) are:
~ Amperex PQ 6922 (white globe),
~ Siemens E88CC,
~ Tungsram E88CC (red lettering).
These are more $$ than what you have mentioned. Whatever you choose, purchase two. It is always good to have a backup.

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #5,797 of 6,436
Do you have a $$ limit ? I ask because with adapters, other tube types can come “into play”. If you wish to stay in the 6DJ8/6922 tube type, some that I have used and very much liked (in Schiit Valhalla II) are:
~ Amperex PQ 6922 (white globe),
~ Siemens E88CC,
~ Tungsram E88CC (red lettering).
These are more $$ than what you have mentioned. Whatever you choose, purchase two. It is always good to have a backup.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'd like to not spend more than ~$70 and ideally less than that unless it's a big upgrade in sound quality from the cheap ~$20 tubes. The Tungsram E88CC is $70 on thetubestore so that would be the same as the WE 396A plus adapter. Have you happened to try the 396A?

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #5,798 of 6,436
I have the Voskhod you list. I don’t like them. Very thick sound. I’m not a huge fan of the EH but I think they would pair better with 6XX. And the lower power Rocket doesn’t have enough - go with the higher one - 6N23 I think.

I would say try a cheap GE 5670.

If you’re interested I have a lot of tubes I don’t use and would let them go cheap.
Some EH, some RCA 7N7, 6N7 (or is it 6NS7?) and others - some 6922, 6CG7.

Tube rolling is fun but matters less than I thought.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #5,799 of 6,436
Hey everyone, I'm planning on ordering the Vali 2+ soon for my 6XXs, and I was hoping I could get some help picking out a tube or two to try. I'll probably also be getting the Modi Multibit in the next couple months. I'm looking for a tube that will widen the soundstage a bit, give more of a "tubey" sound with good detail and timbre, be somewhat relaxed and pleasant (I just don't want anything fatiguing), and not be extremely hot. Assuming all those boxes get ticked then having a nice glow would also be a plus. I've looked on Upscale Audio, Tube Depot, Viva Tubes, TC Tubes, and Brent Jessee's site, and I've put together this list:
1960s GE 6CG7. You could do a lot worse for a lot more money. They are under $15 shipped to your door from eBay.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #5,800 of 6,436
I have the Voskhod you list. I don’t like them. Very thick sound. I’m not a huge fan of the EH but I think they would pair better with 6XX. And the lower power Rocket doesn’t have enough - go with the higher one - 6N23 I think.

I would say try a cheap GE 5670.

If you’re interested I have a lot of tubes I don’t use and would let them go cheap.
Some EH, some RCA 7N7, 6N7 (or is it 6NS7?) and others - some 6922, 6CG7.

Tube rolling is fun but matters less than I thought.
I have rolled a lot of tubes over the years. Sometimes I hear a large difference and other times not so much. I would recommend getting an adapter to use 6SN7 with the Vali 2. One of my favorite tubes is a Sylvania 6SN7 with the off set parallel flat plates. This has a mellow tube.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #5,801 of 6,436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back