Vali 2 tube rolling
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #5,776 of 6,436
Tube rolling threads are subjective. How do you objectively analyze tubes? An oscilloscope? We go by what we hear and how it matches our preferences. For me, the three tubes I mentioned are better than another, especially since they are dirt cheap. I didn’t make any claims beyond that. It makes no sense to roll in a tube that costs as much as the amp.

I’ve rolled everything through the Vali 2+, including the kitchen sink, so of course I have lots of opinions.

If people want to come after me in a subjective thread and question my use of the word better or best, I’ve got better things to do than share my experiences here. I have a mountain of tubes, spare tubes, and plenty of time to burn. You all can spare me the indignity while I keep to myself.
No, but you're coming across as critical when someone doesn't immediately embrace the tubes you've suggested. Maybe that's not your intent, but that's how it reads. Just sayin'.

If you want to take your ball and go home when someone offers an opinion that differs from yours, then that's obviously up to you.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #5,777 of 6,436
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #5,778 of 6,436
Wow. And I thought Bill was thin-skinned. 🙄

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #5,779 of 6,436
It's not that I'm thin-skinned or take my ball home when people have different opinions. That's an incredibly shallow view of what just happened and you know that.

The issue here is this entire thread is based on opinions. I offer up mine and I'm basically being told I'm not allowed to use the word "better." Maybe that's not your intent, but that's how it reads. Just sayin'.

Go back and re-read what I posted before you're so quick to judge me. I said "I cannot recommend tube X because..." I never said my opinions were the only correct ones and that no one was able to disagree. I also further qualified why I felt they were "better" because they're basically dirt cheap. Once you're spending $50+ on tubes for the Vali 2+, you don't need better tubes; you need a better amp. I apologize if suggesting cost-effective tubes for new tube rollers somehow personally offended you. But, that's your problem, not mine. If spending 33-100% or more of the amp's value on a single tube makes you feel better about yourself, you do you.

A bigger issue is Head-Fi used to be a very vibrant place where opinions and discourse flowed freely. But, about 3-4 years ago a bunch of people crashed the joint and started telling people how to post here as if they've owned the place for years. I'm not thin-skinned; I just value my time more than the crapfest this thread has become recently and the people who perpetuate it.

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #5,780 of 6,436
IMHO...

Capture.JPG

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #5,782 of 6,436
Granted, but @bcowen's grudge against GE tubes does tend to veer off into Saturday morning cartoon levels ("…and I woulda gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids and your GE tubes"):laughing:
….GE to GEC: “I coulda been a pretender…”

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #5,783 of 6,436
Does anyone have an opinion on a couple of tubes I can roll with my Vali to try something? Looking for a few tubes that have a different signature, if you can call it that, so I can decide what I like best. I may upgrade to the Valhalla so I'll probably buy matched pairs.

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #5,784 of 6,436
Does anyone have an opinion on a couple of tubes I can roll with my Vali to try something? Looking for a few tubes that have a different signature, if you can call it that, so I can decide what I like best. I may upgrade to the Valhalla so I'll probably buy matched pairs.
The best new tube I have found is the Gold Lion 6922 / E88CC ... extended lows and highs and better clarity. An obvious difference that is better than most others.

You can also go down the NOS rabbit hole, but that is very expensive and you will not benefit as much with a Vali 2, not sure about a Valhalla which is an odd looking bird. Don't know how much I'd like all those tubes so close together. The heat output will be high.

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #5,785 of 6,436
Sure… what are you looking for? I’ve tried a lot of tubes in my Vali and Vali+

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #5,786 of 6,436
Any thoughts on the EH 6922? I just ordered one for my V2. I know it's a big time input/gain tube for a lot of the upper echelon stereo preamplifiers out there(ARC, BAT, MCINTOSH etc.)
I used it when I had a Vali 2. It's not bad. I liked the Gold Lion 6922 better but it makes the sound a little V shaped.

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #5,788 of 6,436
I stopped rolling when discovered the electro-harmonix 6CG7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back