Vali 2 tube rolling
Aug 28, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #5,761 of 6,436
Aug 29, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #5,762 of 6,436
Hi guys new to the forum. I did a search but cant really find an answer I am looking for. I got a Vali 2 last year and man what an experience it has been. It is my first piece of "audiophile" equipment and I really am enjoying it. After reading a bit on the forum I bought an EH 6922 and an EH 6CG7 tube. The EH6922 is giving me a crackling sound (almost like static) so currently stuck with the 6CG7. I am keen to try some other tubes and would really appreciate some recommendations. I mostly listed to EDM music with emphasis on the mids and lower end. I am currenlty looking to get a Genalex Golden Lion 6922 since I never got to experience the 6922 properly. Any other tube I should consider ? TIA

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #5,763 of 6,436
Hi guys new to the forum. I did a search but cant really find an answer I am looking for. I got a Vali 2 last year and man what an experience it has been. It is my first piece of "audiophile" equipment and I really am enjoying it. After reading a bit on the forum I bought an EH 6922 and an EH 6CG7 tube. The EH6922 is giving me a crackling sound (almost like static) so currently stuck with the 6CG7. I am keen to try some other tubes and would really appreciate some recommendations. I mostly listed to EDM music with emphasis on the mids and lower end. I am currenlty looking to get a Genalex Golden Lion 6922 since I never got to experience the 6922 properly. Any other tube I should consider ? TIA
My daily driver in the Vali 2 is the Gold Lion 6922. On Friday I got the EH 6CG7 for a little variety, based on various positive reviews. Compared to the Gold Lion, the EH bass sounds loose and flabby, and detail is smeared. I'll give it time to burn in and settle before passing final judgement, but the Gold Lion's 2x price seems easily justified.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #5,764 of 6,436
~ Hello and enjoy Vali II ! First off, what is your spending limit per tube?
~ With that aside, some very good / excellent 6922 type tubes are: Amperex PQ 6922, Amperex PQ 7308, Brimar CV 2492, Philips BEL 6922. These are of the “new old stock” NOS variety. The Genalex GLs are of the “new production” variety. They are very good.
~ Be mindful that if you go the NOS route for two tubes (one active / one backup) for Vali II, you may spend more than what you spent on the Vali II.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #5,765 of 6,436
Thank for the reply guys.
My daily driver in the Vali 2 is the Gold Lion 6922. On Friday I got the EH 6CG7 for a little variety, based on various positive reviews. Compared to the Gold Lion, the EH bass sounds loose and flabby, and detail is smeared. I'll give it time to burn in and settle before passing final judgement, but the Gold Lion's 2x price seems easily justified.
The 6CG7 is still better than stock and pretty much all I have to compare it too. So very keen to try out the Gold ion.

~ Hello and enjoy Vali II ! First off, what is your spending limit per tube?
~ With that aside, some very good / excellent 6922 type tubes are: Amperex PQ 6922, Amperex PQ 7308, Brimar CV 2492, Philips BEL 6922. These are of the “new old stock” NOS variety. The Genalex GLs are of the “new production” variety. They are very good.
~ Be mindful that if you go the NOS route for two tubes (one active / one backup) for Vali II, you may spend more than what you spent on the Vali II.
Budget is not too high since I am just getting into higher grade audio gear. I will definitely check those that you've listed. Does the manufacturing method "old vs new" make a huge difference in the sound produced ? I might then grab a golden lion.

on an unrelated topic when selecting tube on tubedepot there are a couple of options - Balanced triads, high gain, Low microphonics; what do these mean ? I found an answer for balanced triads but not the others. I would assume microphonics is noise generated in the tube itself ?

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #5,766 of 6,436
Thank for the reply guys.

The 6CG7 is still better than stock and pretty much all I have to compare it too. So very keen to try out the Gold ion.

Budget is not too high since I am just getting into higher grade audio gear. I will definitely check those that you've listed. Does the manufacturing method "old vs new" make a huge difference in the sound produced ? I might then grab a golden lion.

on an unrelated topic when selecting tube on tubedepot there are a couple of options - Balanced triads, high gain, Low microphonics; what do these mean ? I found an answer for balanced triads but not the others. I would assume microphonics is noise generated in the tube itself ?
~ In general, NOS tubes sound fuller, more dimensional than “new production” tubes and prices reflect this.
~ When a tube is microphonic, it is picking up vibration from the tube glass, the headphone amplifier body and is amplifying that vibration in the sound. Some website quote low microphonics and charge higher prices.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #5,767 of 6,436
~ In general, NOS tubes sound fuller, more dimensional than “new production” tubes and prices reflect this.
~ When a tube is microphonic, it is picking up vibration from the tube glass, the headphone amplifier body and is amplifying that vibration in the sound. Some website quote low microphonics and charge higher prices.
Oh ok. Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it! I will start off with the Golden lion for now and work my way up :)

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #5,768 of 6,436
Oh ok. Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it! I will start off with the Golden lion for now and work my way up :)
Unless you like bright, I don't recommend the Lion paired with the Vali 2+. The Vali 2+ leans to the bright and aggressive side, and the Lion is a bright tube. Plus, it's expensive. Better starter tubes are the JJ E88CC, GE 6CG7, and the Voskhod rocket 6N1P-EV. These are all better and cheaper.

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #5,769 of 6,436
Unless you like bright, I don't recommend the Lion paired with the Vali 2+. The Vali 2+ leans to the bright and aggressive side, and the Lion is a bright tube. Plus, it's expensive. Better starter tubes are the JJ E88CC, GE 6CG7, and the Voskhod rocket 6N1P-EV. These are all better and cheaper.
The 'better' part is pretty subjective. I am looking forward to @Weskus sharing what he thinks.

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #5,770 of 6,436
The 'better' part is pretty subjective. I am looking forward to @Weskus sharing what he thinks.
Translation: you’re looking for another opinion to affirm your current tube of choice without actually rolling any of the other suggested tubes in this thread.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #5,771 of 6,436
Translation: you’re looking for another opinion to affirm your current tube of choice without actually rolling any of the other suggested tubes in this thread.
Maybe. But you're also coming across that the tubes you've suggested are 'better' than anything else as an absolute. 'Better' is wholly subjective, wholly dependent on personal preferences, and wholly dependent on ancillary equipment, including the headphones in play. What's 'better' for you may not be for me, and vice versa. If we're sharing opinions (which in reality is all that can happen here), these are mine:

Voskhod Rocket-logo 6N1P-EV? Nice sounding tube, but I much prefer the triple-mica Foton 6N1P.
GE 6CG7? Not for me. A '60's vintage Amperex would be my first choice, followed by Tung Sol and then RCA. Perhaps if the GE was just labeled GE and actually made by RCA it'd be OK.
JJ E88CC? Again, not for me. I'd much rather have practically any Russian 6N23P...for less money.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #5,772 of 6,436
Maybe. But you're also coming across that the tubes you've suggested are 'better' than anything else as an absolute. 'Better' is wholly subjective, wholly dependent on personal preferences, and wholly dependent on ancillary equipment, including the headphones in play. What's 'better' for you may not be for me, and vice versa. If we're sharing opinions (which in reality is all that can happen here), these are mine:

Voskhod Rocket-logo 6N1P-EV? Nice sounding tube, but I much prefer the triple-mica Foton 6N1P.
GE 6CG7? Not for me. A '60's vintage Amperex would be my first choice, followed by Tung Sol and then RCA. Perhaps if the GE was just labeled GE and actually made by RCA it'd be OK.
JJ E88CC? Again, not for me. I'd much rather have practically any Russian 6N23P...for less money.
Tube rolling threads are subjective. How do you objectively analyze tubes? An oscilloscope? We go by what we hear and how it matches our preferences. For me, the three tubes I mentioned are better than another, especially since they are dirt cheap. I didn’t make any claims beyond that. It makes no sense to roll in a tube that costs as much as the amp.

I’ve rolled everything through the Vali 2+, including the kitchen sink, so of course I have lots of opinions.

If people want to come after me in a subjective thread and question my use of the word better or best, I’ve got better things to do than share my experiences here. I have a mountain of tubes, spare tubes, and plenty of time to burn. You all can spare me the indignity while I keep to myself.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #5,773 of 6,436
A tube rolling thread: a play three acts:

Act 1) Tell me what you think of various tubes in your amp.

Act 2) You can’t list opinions because they’re too subjective.

Act 3) You’re wrong, here’s why, followed by my opinions.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #5,774 of 6,436
Wrong. You made an assertion. I pointed out the subjective nature of your assertion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #5,775 of 6,436
Wrong. You made an assertion. I pointed out the subjective nature of your assertion. Nothing more, nothing less.
Oh no! Subjective thoughts in a subjective thread! How stupid of me!

EEDCB2AD-6866-440C-8E52-AD72CF401F32.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back