Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,171 of 6,436
@bcowen - Doesn't look like a current production one, looks NOS. Probably from the 60's?

Haven't heard one myself, but from others accounts, a cool yet detailed sounding tube?

FYI - I'm rolling in a Philips SQ at the moment.

It's a '64. My dad had a '64 Rambler. I'll never forget the vacuum powered windshield wipers. If it rained hard, you had to downshift for higher RPM's to speed up the wipers. Hope my '64 tube has enough vacuum without having to rev the Vali. :sunglasses:

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #1,172 of 6,436
It's a '64. My dad had a '64 Rambler. I'll never forget the vacuum powered windshield wipers. If it rained hard, you had to downshift for higher RPM's to speed up the wipers. Hope my '64 tube has enough vacuum without having to rev the Vali. :sunglasses:
PMSL. :laughing:

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,173 of 6,436
Anybody try one of these yet? The plate structure is a bit crooked, but it tests great with perfectly matched triodes. Have it cooking in the Vali now, but I'll resist the urge to listen to it until at least tomorrow night...

6hlx84.jpg

the NOS tesla's are very good, i've owned several

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,174 of 6,436
Awesome! A new rolling addict is born. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to get you started too quickly or anything, but of the couple dozen tubes I've rolled through the Vali so far, the stock tube was easily the worst sounding. If you're willing to wait a bit, get the 396A/5670/2C51 to ECC88 adapter from the far east, and while that's on its way, get a couple Russian Voshkod 6N3PE's coming from the other direction. Big grins for less than $25 total, including shipping. If you have no patience, you're in good company so see if you can find a decent deal on a NOS Telefunken 6DJ8. No adapter required, but you'll likely pay quite a bit for a good tube with closely matched triodes. Both Volly and I got super big grins with this tube. Good luck, and keep us posted if you find something killer.

Thanks bcowen. I've been reading this thread and trying to decide on which should be my first new tube. Being my first test, I want to find something that's not too expensive (maybe a Matsushita 7DJ8).
However, the idea of trying other tubes has been put on hold as I try to figure out what's wrong with my new Vali 2. I've been having a problem with an intermittent low rumbling sound in the right channel. I've ruled out the source and the input cables. Schiit tech support thinks it might be a bad tube and they're sending me a replacement. Once I get this "schiit" out of the way and can confirm the amp is okay, I'll decide on a alternate tube strategy.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,175 of 6,436
Whats the best tube glow you guys are getting? So far the Ge jan 5670w gives me the best glow.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,177 of 6,436
Mar 6, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,178 of 6,436
Whats the best tube glow you guys are getting? So far the Ge jan 5670w gives me the best glow.

My 5670 does light up the room too. The Voskhod 6n23 does the same. As far as best glow… runner up goes to the Reflektor 6n3p-e with the Yugofunken 12au7 winning. Both tubes have a fair bit of the heater filament exposed so you see more glow than what just comes out of the top/bottom. The Reflektor is brighter, but the Yugo has bigger plates (thus filament) and it also flashes when first turned on:ksc75smile:

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,179 of 6,436
and... new level of tube rolling... A/B different tubes. Right now WE 396A vs Valvo E288CC.
DISCLAIMER: These are my own thoughts and should take them as such. Listening perception is unique and individual, and in no way shape or form am I saying this is any sort of truth for anyone else.

All right guys... I hate to say it, but my thoughts on rolling tubes in the Vali 2 has completely changed. I'm calling it de-bunked. I spent all weekend A/B'ing my Vali 2's and I can't tell a difference. Maybe it's my ears, maybe it's my cans, but there is no noticeable difference between any of the tubes that I used, including the stock one. The difference between my Modi2 Uber vs Modi Multi-bit is perceivable. The difference between the Vali 2 and my Jotunheim is (barely) noticeable. The tubes... not so much. Maybe I am doing this wrong, but I just am not seeing it.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,180 of 6,436
DISCLAIMER: These are my own thoughts and should take them as such. Listening perception is unique and individual, and in no way shape or form am I saying this is any sort of truth for anyone else.

All right guys... I hate to say it, but my thoughts on rolling tubes in the Vali 2 has completely changed. I'm calling it de-bunked. I spent all weekend A/B'ing my Vali 2's and I can't tell a difference. Maybe it's my ears, maybe it's my cans, but there is no noticeable difference between any of the tubes that I used, including the stock one. The difference between my Modi2 Uber vs Modi Multi-bit is perceivable. The difference between the Vali 2 and my Jotunheim is (barely) noticeable. The tubes... not so much. Maybe I am doing this wrong, but I just am not seeing it.
I would say it is your ears. I can clearly tell a difference between tubes on my vali 2. Could also be the cans you are using hiding the differences. Maybe a more neutral pair of cans will aid in your ears telling a difference. What tubes are you using?

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,181 of 6,436

Interesting. What tubes were you rolling? Potentially, I'm thinking this might be because your headphones aren't amp sensitive? I've never listened to the M1060's (if that's what you were using, just looking at your signature). Listening on HD800's, I hear the differences between tubes. On my low impedance HD579's, the source/amp becomes a lot less important.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,182 of 6,436
Here was my testing setup.

Setup is FLAC files > Plex > Airport Express > Optical Out > Modi Multibit > Spliters > Pyst RCA cables > Vali 2’s > 1/2”-1/4” adapters > iVanki Aux cables > SESCOM 1/4” A/B switch > Monoprice M1060s or E-Mu Teaks. Also added my DT880 (250ohm)

Tubes: Amperex BugleBoy ECC88 (Holland) Philips E188CC (France) Western Electric 396A (USA) Valvo E288CC (Germany) RTC ECC88 (Holland) RCA PCC88 (UK) Tesla E88CC (Czech) Stock Tubes (Un-labled and Taiwan)

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,183 of 6,436
Here was my testing setup.

Setup is FLAC files > Plex > Airport Express > Optical Out > Modi Multibit > Spliters > Pyst RCA cables > Vali 2’s > 1/2”-1/4” adapters > iVanki Aux cables > SESCOM 1/4” A/B switch > Monoprice M1060s or E-Mu Teaks. Also added my DT880 (250ohm)

Tubes: Amperex BugleBoy ECC88 (Holland) Philips E188CC (France) Western Electric 396A (USA) Valvo E288CC (Germany) RTC ECC88 (Holland) RCA PCC88 (UK) Tesla E88CC (Czech) Stock Tubes (Un-labled and Taiwan)

So let me ask you this. Of those headphones, which do you find are the most amp sensitive? My guess would be the DT880's?

Which two tubes sounded most different to you? Potentially, I was thinking it had to be the order you sampled each setup. Some of those tubes may not be very different from each other and it's a question of finding the right contrast.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,184 of 6,436
So let me ask you this. Of those headphones, which do you find are the most amp sensitive? My guess would be the DT880's?

Which two tubes sounded most different to you? Potentially, I was thinking it had to be the order you sampled each setup. Some of those tubes may not be very different from each other and it's a question of finding the right contrast.

I didn't find any of the tubes different enough to note. Everything I would perceive I went back and double checked. I was under the impression prior to this that the M1060's were the most tube sensitive. I'll go back and try the DT880s so more.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,185 of 6,436
I didn't find any of the tubes different enough to note. Everything I would perceive I went back and double checked. I was under the impression prior to this that the M1060's were the most tube sensitive. I'll go back and try the DT880s so more.

Let us know what you find. My other thought is to ask what tracks you were using? Personally, I like to use classical violin for treble, Yosi Horikawa's tracks like 'Letter' for imagery, anything by 'In Flames' for how the tube handles distorted guitars that can be fatigue inducing on the wrong setup, and John Digweed's 'Bilder' to evaluate bass slam and dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back