1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
Next

Last
  1. starence
    I picked up a Vali 2 recently, and have really been enjoying it. I'm wondering what I'm missing though, just using the stock tube. What would be a good all around tube to try? I'm looking for something fairly neutral, for $25 or less.

2. dbaker1981
    I would give the EH6922 a test listen. I enjoy it a lot and it's around that price.

starence likes this.
  3. Faber65

I agree, even if defining as "neutral" a tube sounds like an oxymoron to me.
    Oh, yes: you said "fairly". :)

4. Angular Mo
    Does

Genalex Gold Lion E88CC / 6922

need an adapter for the Vali2?

If it does, what type of adapter?

I am thinking of starting a new addiction and tubes look to be a fun one to start.

5. Faber65
    All the 6922 have the same pins configuration.
    No adapter is needed.
    Welcome to the club of the tube rolling addiction.

Angular Mo likes this.
  6. Faber65
    GE JAN5670W, not bad value for money. It seems very detailed and relatively neutral. The sub bass are not convincing, yet but it has been used for less than half an hour and only with one album. Need more listening.

IMG_20161218_165007.jpg

7. Faber65

GE JAN5670W: $19.90 for FIVE!!!! On Amazon.
    It is worth a trial.

8. Faber65

BEWARE: While the 9-pin design is used, the electrical pin outs between the two tubes us different. As such, the GE5670 is not a straight ‘drop-in’ substitute for the 6922. You need to buy an adapter (see the picture in my above post)

You can also find some opinions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/attachments/1746

9. 1ofamillion
    So I recently purchased the Vali 2/Modi MB, and I am really enjoying the combo with my HE-500 so far! I am currently rocking a Gold Lion E88CC, and it has a really nice sound. Does anyone have any recommendations on a tube that could give it a little warmer sound? Overall, it's a great combo, but sometimes it can get just a tad too bright for my ears. Plus, I am a sucker for bass extension a sub bass from time to time haha.

I feel like I have oddly sensitive ears.. I never go past 9 o'clock on high gain, and highs in general can get a little overbearing to me. I would have gone full tube, but the vali 2 actually fit in my budget.

10. Faber65

It depends on your budget for the tube.
    Did you try the EH?

I also suggest to take a look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

11. 1ofamillion

I'll take a look into this, thank you for the information! I guess I should have looked a little more.

I don't know if anyone can help, but I was looking into the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB. I know someone posted earlier about a Tung-Sol 6SN7, but does anyone have any experience with the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB? It seems like a good price, but I don't know how it compares to a more expensive model like the Tung-Sol 6SU7WGT. 

12. 1ofamillion
    Well, I decided to go with the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB just for the heck of it. The tube itself was only 25, and I'd end up getting adapters eventually anyways. Time for rolling! I'm actually pretty curious to see what kind of changes will happen to the sound.

Faber65 likes this.
  13. Skarecrow77
    Somewhat on topic, I got a Mimby yesterday under the tree, and after ~36 hours online, it sounds REALLY good with the Vali2 and my Philips PCC88 (the little tube that could). I can concur that this is a great combo.

As one might expect, the Mimby and Vali2 work very very well together.

This PCC88 surprises me at every turn. It always exceeds my expectations. I've got more expensive stuff and I always seem to go back to this tube.

14. 1ofamillion
    I have a general beginner question regarding tube adapters. I purchased a garage1217 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter, and a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB tube. I hooked everything up, made sure everything was in securely, and the tube does not seem to work. It doesn't warm up, nor does it light up at all. Would anyone know how to determine whether this is an issue with the adapter or the tube itself? I am very new to the tube scene, and I thought I'd ask here see if anyone would know where the problem could be (other than me being uninformed [​IMG]). There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the connectors on either part.

15. r2muchstuff

Wrong adapter. 
    Need 6SN7 to 6922/6BZ7.

r2

First

Back
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
Next

Last