Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #5,116 of 6,436
Played around some more with Equalizer APO. Got it to work outside of Foobar. Connected it to the dac. So it should work with most Windows based sources. Only drawbacks are it won't work with asio or in exclusive mode for wasapi. Otherwise it works as advertised, improving the sound of any headphone I can find a preset for. I can switch among headphones by just selecting the headphone type on the desktop. There are over 2000 headphones listed in the preset database. The bottom line is I can enjoy either headphone and not have to favor one over the other.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #5,118 of 6,436
OK; still reading through the older pages on this thread and came across a post by Donkey around April and was finally persuaded in purchasing a similar pair of 6С2С Novosibirsk tubes (these were also a matched pair from '67) to try my first "pairing" tube set-up.

My question, so I don't order the wrong thing, is what adapter do I order for the Vali 2. I saw the one he was using but want to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kev

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #5,119 of 6,436
OK; still reading through the older pages on this thread and came across a post by Donkey around April and was finally persuaded in purchasing a similar pair of 6С2С Novosibirsk tubes (these were also a matched pair from '67) to try my first "pairing" tube set-up.

My question, so I don't order the wrong thing, is what adapter do I order for the Vali 2. I saw the one he was using but want to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kev
Well. I am using https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Dual-6J5G-6C5G-VT-94-CV1932-L63-VR67-TO-ECC88-6922-tube-converter-adapter-/201458214762. Regarding the tubes, I would not bother looking for exotic octal Russian tubes first (they may need reflowing the solder in the pins) - there's plenty of metal bottle 6J5 pairs on ebay for nothing e.g. those; or you can buy two matching 6J5GT separately from reputed dealer, vivatubes, or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #5,120 of 6,436
Well. I am using https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Dual-6J5G-6C5G-VT-94-CV1932-L63-VR67-TO-ECC88-6922-tube-converter-adapter-/201458214762. Regarding the tubes, I would not bother looking for exotic Russian tubes first - there's plenty of metal bottle 6J5 pairs on ebay for nothing e.g. those; or you can buy two matching 6J5GT separately from reputed dealer, vivatubes, or elsewhere.
Sylvania is my personal choice on those tubes. Black plate, three hole that I have dubbed Naughty Girls, as opposed to Bad Boys. Bottom getter, there are also grey plates but I prefer the aforementioned.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #5,121 of 6,436
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #5,122 of 6,436
Sylvania is my personal choice on those tubes. Black plate, three hole that I have dubbed Naughty Girls, as opposed to Bad Boys. Bottom getter, there are also grey plates but I prefer the aforementioned.

Sweet; once again, my thanks to you both for the continued info. As I already purchased the pair ($35 total with shipping) I guess I'll just weigh in as to how they sound once they arrive - I guess I will need to make sure I check in with you guys before making further "forays"; you'll save me fundage! :wink:

-Kev

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #5,123 of 6,436
Those are grey plate, they are ok but I prefer the black plate. Not the best photo sorry. tubes.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #5,124 of 6,436
Sweet; once again, my thanks to you both for the continued info. As I already purchased the pair ($35 total with shipping) I guess I'll just weigh in as to how they sound once they arrive - I guess I will need to make sure I check in with you guys before making further "forays"; you'll save me fundage! :wink:

-Kev
We? Save you fundage? You must be joking. In 6 months, you will be having 128+ tubes you will never remember to use second time. No tube you will buy will be the right one for guys in this thread: wrong colour of plates, wrong shape of mica, wrong number of posts, too many or too few holes, fake brand, etc. - you'll see. When you will finally find the tube that cannot be rubbished we will say: what? you paid $70? Wow, I remember buying 6 for $18... :deadhorse:

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #5,125 of 6,436
s-l400.jpg

Here is a better photo of the black plate version, generally they have metal bases but I do not see them as often in pairs as I once did.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #5,126 of 6,436
We? Save you fundage? You must be joking. In 6 months, you will be having 128+ tubes you will never remember to use second time. No tube you will buy will be the right one for guys in this thread: wrong colour of plates, wrong shape of mica, wrong number of posts, too many or too few holes, fake brand, etc. - you'll see. When you will finally find the tube that cannot be rubbished we will say: what? you paid $70? Wow, I remember buying 6 for $18... :deadhorse:

:beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:
OK, fair enough; how about "save me MORE than I would wandering blindly through this endeavor"! LOL!

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #5,127 of 6,436

ROFL!!!!!!

But wait. Huh? I don't have even a clue what you're talking about. Nobody here would do such things I'm quite sure.

BTW, those RCA's you linked above? Beyond being almost dead everyone knows the glass bottle versions sound better. No telling what plate color is hidden beneath that metal, but without even being able to see it chances are it's wrong. I won't even go into the getter shape....

:stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #5,128 of 6,436
93042E49-BC3A-4688-8534-96ED7999342B.jpeg VT-94D’s, military version of the black plate 3 hole Sylvania 6j5’s in an amp I designed. The single triode tubes offer exceptional channel separation IMHO, they try to eliminate cross talk in dual triodes with shielding.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #5,129 of 6,436
Brimar is there. yes its nice and very open. i would not say very "valve" sound but its got boogie factor. soundstage is superb, low, mid and high placement with far left right and a well placed centre.

borrowed son #2's beyer DT770 80ohm (had to service them) and i'm sitting here listening to supertramp crime. everything goes left/right and all around. gone is the "shouty" sound of the standard tube.

no the highs are not subdued.

its nice, yes indeedy.

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #5,130 of 6,436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back