1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320
322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331
Next

Last
  1. Ripper2860
    :thinking:

I know you honestly think you're being helping, but you're not...

But then again, maybe you are actually being more helpful than you expected. :smirk:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  2. bcowen
    I'm pretty sure this makes sense on some level....and I'm just on the wrong level.

:money_mouth:

3. Ripper2860
    That's OK, Bill. Folks here are a good lot and will be patient with you while you catch up ... :p

Capture.JPG

bcowen likes this.
  4. bcowen
    You traded in your Pacer? Dang. Looks like the new ride has about the same amount of glass though. :laughing:

Ripper2860 likes this.
  5. KoshNaranek
    I am being helpful to you. Valhalla sounds like nothing else and you already like it. Get another.

Alternatively, get a Saga for tube buffer preampiness and voila, you also have a spare SS preamp. Get what you want. Life is too short for compromise.

6. bcowen
    Great advice. Especially with audio toys. :laughing:

Ripper2860 and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  7. ScubaMan2017
    My ride arrived! I'll chose the short-bus over an Uber any day, thankyouverymuch. :)

bcowen likes this.
  8. Tjj226 Angel
    Sure they can. 1 is too many.
    Short answer is that you will be disappointed with your vali compared to the Valhalla. The Valhalla is very similar to a purpose built preamp. Its a single ended tube buffer. The vali is a push pull hybrid amplifier. While you can use it as a preamp, its not going to be close to the valhalla. But give it a shot. It might work out for your needs/setup.

Ripper2860 likes this.
  9. Ripper2860
    Yeah -- I think I'll just start looking at legit tube buffers like the Nobsound dual 12AU7 buffer, etc. Or maybe a Saga+ ahead of a Vidar purchase in the future.

bcowen likes this.
  10. Tjj226 Angel
    I woudn't touch the nobsound stuff with a 10 foot pole. The saga+ doesn't even impress me either. Honestly the Valhalla is just about as good as any other preamp they make. I wish they would make just a normal simple tube preamp, but they seem to be too focused on building swiss army knife preamps with topologies that probably hurt the sound more than they help.

You can always keep an eye on ebay and see if something like a conrad johnson preamp doesn't show up for cheap. If nothing else there is always diy.

11. Ripper2860
    Hmmmm. I have a BH Crack kit that I have yet to assemble. Maybe that'll do nicely as a tube buffer. :thinking:

bcowen likes this.
  12. Tjj226 Angel
    There ya go. That would definitely work.

If you feel comfortable working with the crack, there are a ton of cheap DIY tube preamps floating around the internet. That way you can leave your crack for headphone duty and then have a nice single stage tube preamp.

Ripper2860 likes this.
  13. Ripper2860
    Thanks. I'll see how the BHC build goes and if I manage to not kill myself or burn the house down, I'll look into DIY tube preamps. :smile:

ScubaMan2017 and bcowen like this.
  14. bcowen
    If you do, I claim dibs on your 7 tubes.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Ripper2860
    That sounds about right, after you summarily declared all tubes that I sent to you for testing as bad and offered to 'dispose' of them for me. And then I went and did something even more stupid -- I bought a tester from you which seems to fail every tube I ever test on it.

I'm seeing a trend here... and its not that I'm gullible. :unamused:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
First

Back
311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320
322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331
Next

Last