1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319
321 322 323 324 325
Next

Last
  1. bcowen
    No worries. I'm pretty ashamed of myself. If I could kick myself in the butt I would....but I'd probably break something, end up in the hospital, and just delay things further. :slight_smile:

Wes S and Mr Trev like this.
  2. Mr Trev
    There's the rub. That's pretty much what my expectations are, but so far the sound is still pretty much inside my head (along with the voices). Doesn't seem to matter too much what I change the setting to, it really doesn't help. The best I've gotten so far is with those DTS wav files. What I expect is the rear channels is a tad lower in the sound space - closer to my earlobes than ear canal. No front to back depth sadly

3. Keno18
    I sone_Surround has a distance adjustment, maybe I'll try that and see if it makes a great difference. I think the most you can get is a well populated sound stage. I mean that when I switch back and forth the holes in the image are filled in. I'll listen for depth as I change the distance. BTW I tried HeSuVi. With a live recording In several cases audience coughs appeared to come from behind to the left and right.

Edit: Increasing the Distance in Isone and Increasing the Width Correction in VI definitely made for more depth and a bigger image all around. I turned up both all the way and compared it with the standard sound side by side. Also using the preset "HRTFs + room simlation" in Isone helped

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. Keno18
    This'll give your tubes a tingle: Mr Trev was kind enough to point me to a piece of software called HeSuVi or Headphone Surround Virtualizer. URL: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/postdownload. It offers surround sound by way of dozens of profiles. It seems to work with virtually any player because it installs into your machine's sound system, not the player itself. It even works with dacs, though not the Dragonfly Black, at least mine didn't. There is one requirement, you have to install Equalizer APO first because equalization of your particular headphone is needed to get the maximum benefit. It's easy to set because there are again dozens of preset files covering most brands of headphones. It's all explained on the Sourceforge page and in the wiki you are sent to after the install. It's a great alternative to the plugins I described earlier.

bcowen and Mr Trev like this.
  5. Keno18
    Mr Trev and bcowen like this.
  6. Ripper2860
    OK -- not Tube-rolling related, but it is Vali 2 related and this seems like as good a place to ask as any ...

Any of you folks have experience using a Vali 2 as a Tube Buffer via pre-out into a solid state amp? I'm currently using my Valhalla 2 in this capacity (and love it), but want to start using it in another room as a HP amp (imagine that). Does the Vali 2 impart enough lovely 'tubieness' to effectively act as a tube buffer? Your thoughts are welcome!!

Thanks!!

bcowen likes this.
  7. Keno18
    I've tried it as a buffer and found the bass to be less through the preamp outputs than through the headphone output.

Ripper2860 likes this.
  8. Mr Trev
    I just remembered a bit ago why I stopped using HeSuVi and possibly why you can't get it to work with all DACs. Equalizer APO will only work in directsound. I remembered this when I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get any sound out of my X3 in Foobar - it was set to ASIO. When I switched to directsound it started working, but my laptop sounds like absolute crap with directsound.

That's one thing I've never tried with the Vali. I did try with my Little Bear, but that thing is way too noisy to be useful to be a buffer

Ripper2860 likes this.
  9. bcowen
    Can't help with that question as I never tried my Vali 2 in that function. Sorry. I went a totally different route and got a tube amp. :stuck_out_tongue:

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  10. Ripper2860
    And yet another unhelpful @bcowen post screaming for the missing HF 'don't like' button. :unamused:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    bcowen and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  11. ScubaMan2017
    Oh dang. :ksc75smile:

Seriously, "tube buffer". I'll need to look that up.

bcowen likes this.
  12. bcowen
    Similar to a Ripper buffer....it makes the output more pleasant and enjoyable. :smile:

ScubaMan2017 and Ripper2860 like this.
  13. bcowen
    I strive for consistency. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ripper2860 likes this.
  14. Keno18
    I got it to work with the ifi nano black label but it's limited to 48k sampling rate so hi-res is out. I guess it is OK if you can't run the vst plugins. The vst plugins are good up to 192 k.

15. KoshNaranek
    One can never have too many Valhalla amps.

bcowen, ScubaMan2017 and Ripper2860 like this.
First

Back
310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319
321 322 323 324 325
Next

Last