Vali 2 tube rolling
Sep 24, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #4,651 of 6,436
Got it. I was letting ODD know that was happening since the Modi MB does not have any indicator for incoming stream sample/bitrate.

Thanks, again!!

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #4,652 of 6,436
Got it. I was letting ODD know that was happening since the Modi MB does not have any indicator for incoming stream sample/bitrate.

Thanks, again!!
That's one of the changes I made to the Tidal version. You had to change the rate every time the track changed to MQA.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #4,653 of 6,436
I agree that the Tidal app is not as good as Qobuz or Amazon. But I like the sound. I just tried Qobuz at the CD level and found the SQ to be less detailed than Tidal. The higher levels are more than I want to spend. I'll give Amazon another shot at a later date. Interesting how Foobar works with the higher sampling rate. I'll have to set up a test rig to try that out.
I'm afraid I was too hasty in dismissing Qobuz. I gave it a second listening with other tracks. Even on the CD level it edges out Tidal. Plus the app *is* better, much better. So I switched services yet again to Qobuz.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #4,654 of 6,436
As far as Amazon Music, it appears the dropout problem I'm having is on my end. I substituted a different DAC in the chain and no dropouts! Sound quality improved at all sample rates up to 192 k too. The only annoying thing is it's a $29.95 DAC. It's got an ESS 9023 chip to boot. Now I've to see if I can fix my ifi nano bl setup.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #4,655 of 6,436
As far as Amazon Music, it appears the dropout problem I'm having is on my end. I substituted a different DAC in the chain and no dropouts! Sound quality improved at all sample rates up to 192 k too. The only annoying thing is it's a $29.95 DAC. It's got an ESS 9023 chip to boot. Now I've to see if I can fix my ifi nano bl setup.
I have fixed everything in my PC setup and now Amazon app works without quirks. However, it cannot demand exclusive bit-perfect transfer through Windows. I do not know if it is why the sound is somewhat tinny/less lush than Qobuz, especially Qobuz through roon...

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,656 of 6,436
I have fixed everything in my PC setup and now Amazon app works without quirks. However, it cannot demand exclusive bit-perfect transfer through Windows. I do not know if it is why the sound is somewhat tinny/less lush than Qobuz, especially Qobuz through roon...
win the Sound Panel under Recording and Playback advanced properties were you able to check the exclusive mode and priority boxes?

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #4,657 of 6,436
The Amazon application does not support Exclusive mode via WASAPI. That's one of my gripes, along with the UI (I prefer Qobuz and Tidal's UI and recommendation engine). The pluses outweigh the negatives for now.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,658 of 6,436
win the Sound Panel under Recording and Playback advanced properties were you able to check the exclusive mode and priority boxes?
yes I was able to do so. does not help as the Anazon app does not request exclusive mode. sending it to foobar does not help as it passes WIndows mixer on the way to foobar.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #4,659 of 6,436
yes I was able to do so. does not help as the Anazon app does not request exclusive mode. sending it to foobar does not help as it passes WIndows mixer on the way to foobar.
Yes, a consequence of using their speaker output. I just thought it might help. I sent Amazon a message concerning that but I think it will take a few complaints before they move on it.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #4,661 of 6,436
Tube Rolling. Stream Rolling. Ulitmately leading to ...

:smirk:

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #4,662 of 6,436
Found and fixed the dropout problem with Amazon music streaming. It was the usb Wi-Fi adapter. Removed it, have a slower connection now but Amazon works perfectly. Will post Amazon through Foobar instructions for anyone who is interested later today.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #4,663 of 6,436
The following instructions are for streaming Amazon Music, Qobuz, or Tidal through Foobar2000.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions are for Widows 10 and streaming mode in the Amazon Music app.

Download the Foobar recording component from here: https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_record
Download the HiFi virtual cable package ("HiFi Cable bit perfect") from here: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

Install both. Restart PC.

Note: On some sysytems "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)"
may show instead as "Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)".
If that is the case, treat "Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)"
as "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" in the instructions.

In the taskbar, on the extreme left, right-click the Windows logo. Click "Device Manager".
At the top of the Device Manager window, click the arrow next to "Audio inputs and outputs".
You should see "Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" and "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)"
in the list. If you do, proceed, if not, check your install.

In the system tray on the extreme right left-click the speaker icon, select "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)".
Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray, select "Open sound settings".
In the Sound panel click "Sound Control Panel". In the Sound window click the "Playback" tab.
In the Sound window click "Speakers, VB-Audio Hi-Fi- Cable". Click "Properties". In the
"Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" select
"24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)". Click "OK". Next, in the Sound window click the "Recording" tab.
In the Sound window click "Hi-Fi Cable Output". Click "Properties". In the
"Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" select
"2 channel, 24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)". Click "OK". In the "Sound window click "OK".
Close the Sound panel.

In Foobar, from the menu left-click "File", click "Preferences", under "Tools" click "Recorder". In the "Device"
dropdown box select "HiFI Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi". Set "Sample rate" to 192000, "Bits/sample" to 24, and
"Channels" to stereo. Next, preferably with an empty playlist, from the menu select "File", "Add location...".
In the "Add location" window type: "record://" (no quotes), press OK. This will add:
"Recording: 192000 Hz 24 bps 2 ch (Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi)" to the empty playlist.
Leave the rest of your Foobar settings as you normally would to play a file.

To play, press the forward button on Foobar first, then select and play a track in Amazon Music.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions are for Widows 10 and Hi-Fi or Hi-Res streaming mode in Qobuz.

Download the Foobar recording component from here: https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_record
Download the HiFi virtual cable package ("HiFi Cable bit perfect") from here: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

In the taskbar, on the extreme left, right-click the Windows logo. Click "Device Manager".
At the top of the Device Manager window, click the arrow next to "Audio inputs and outputs".
You should see "Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" and either
"Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" or "Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)", not both,

For the following select the quality that matches the plan you are subscribed to and your DAC.

1. 16 bit, 44.1 k, CD Quality (Hi-Fi)

In the system tray on the extreme right, right-click the speaker icon in the system tray,
select "Open sound settings". In the Sound panel click "Sound Control Panel".
In the Sound window click the "Playback" tab. Next click "Speakers - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable"
or "Hi-Fi Cable Input - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable". Click "Properties". In the "Speakers Properties"
or "Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" select
"16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK". In the Sound window click the "Recording" tab.
In the Recording window click "Hi-Fi Cable Output - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable". Click "Properties".
In the "Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab.
Under "Default Format" select "2 Channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK".
In the "Sound window click "OK". Close the Sound panel.

In Foobar Click "Preferences", under "Tools" click "Recorder". In the "Device"
dropdown box select "HiFI Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi". Set "Sample rate" to 44100, "Bits/sample" to 16, and
"Channels" to stereo. Next, preferably with an empty playlist, from the menu select "File", "Add location...".
In the "Add location" window type: "record://" (no quotes), press OK. This will add:
"Recording: 44100 Hz 16 bps 2 ch (Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi)" to the empty playlist.

See "In Qobuz" below.

2. 24 bit, 96 k (or 192 k), Hi-Res (Studio) and (Sublime+)

In the system tray on the extreme right, right-click the speaker icon in the system tray,
In the Sound window click the "Playback" tab. Next click "Speakers - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable"
or "Hi-Fi Cable Input - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable". Click "Properties". In the "Speakers Properties"
or "Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" select
"24 bit, 96000 Hz (or 192000 Hz) (Studio Quality)". Click "OK". In the Sound window click the "Recording" tab.
In the Recording window click "Hi-Fi Cable Output - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable". Click "Properties".
Under "Default Format" select "2 Channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz (or 192000 Hz) (Studio Quality)". Click "OK".

dropdown box select "HiFI Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi". Set "Sample rate" to 96000 (or 192000), "Bits/sample" to 24, and
"Recording: 96000 Hz (or 192000 Hz) 24 bps 2 ch (Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi)" to the empty playlist.

In Qobuz, select "Music playing". Under "Listening preferences", "Audio output device" select
"Wasapi (Exclusive mode) - Speakers - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable" or
"Wasapi (Exclusive mode) - Hi-Fi Cable Input - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable".

To play, press the forward button on Foobar first, then select and play a track in Qobuz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions are for Widows 10 and Hi-Fi streaming mode in Tidal.

"Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" or "Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)", not both,

select "Open sound settings". In the Sound panel click "Sound Control Panel". In the Sound
window click the "Playback" tab. In the Sound window click either "Speakers - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable"
or "Hi-Fi Cable Input - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable". Click "Properties". In the "Speakers Properties" or
"Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format"
select "16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK". Next, in the Sound window
click the "Recording" tab. In the Sound window click "Hi-Fi Cable Output - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable".
Click "Properties". In the"Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab.
Under "Default Format" select "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK".

dropdown box select "HiFI Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi". Set "Sample rate" to 44100, "Bits/sample" to 16, and
"Recording: 44100 Hz 16 bps 2 ch (Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi)" to the empty playlist.

In Tidal, select "File", "Settings" from the menu. In the Settings window click "Streaming".
Make sure "Quality" is set to "HI-Fi". Under "Sound", Next to "Sound Output" click "(More settings)".
Turn on "Use Exclusive mode" and "Force volume". Exit window.
Under "Sound Output (More Settings)" click the down arrow to the extreme right.
Select "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" or "Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" from the drop down box.

To play, press the forward button on Foobar first, then select and play a track in Tidal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just want to add that I got the idea for this from this thread on AVForums about Tidal:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/streaming-mqa-using-tidal.2076126/

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #4,664 of 6,436
The following instructions are for streaming Amazon Music, Qobuz, or Tidal through Foobar2000.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions are for Widows 10 and streaming mode in the Amazon Music app.

Note: On some sysytems "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)"
may show instead as "Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)".
If that is the case, treat "Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)"
as "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" in the instructions.

You should see "Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" and "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)"

In the system tray on the extreme right left-click the speaker icon, select "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)".
Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray, select "Open sound settings".
In the Sound panel click "Sound Control Panel". In the Sound window click the "Playback" tab.
In the Sound window click "Speakers, VB-Audio Hi-Fi- Cable". Click "Properties". In the
"24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)". Click "OK". Next, in the Sound window click the "Recording" tab.
In the Sound window click "Hi-Fi Cable Output". Click "Properties". In the
"2 channel, 24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)". Click "OK". In the "Sound window click "OK".
Close the Sound panel.

In Foobar, from the menu left-click "File", click "Preferences", under "Tools" click "Recorder". In the "Device"
dropdown box select "HiFI Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi". Set "Sample rate" to 192000, "Bits/sample" to 24, and
"Recording: 192000 Hz 24 bps 2 ch (Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi)" to the empty playlist.

To play, press the forward button on Foobar first, then select and play a track in Amazon Music.

These instructions are for Widows 10 and Hi-Fi or Hi-Res streaming mode in Qobuz.

For the following select the quality that matches the plan you are subscribed to and your DAC.

1. 16 bit, 44.1 k, CD Quality (Hi-Fi)

"16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK". In the Sound window click the "Recording" tab.
Under "Default Format" select "2 Channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK".

See "In Qobuz" below.

2. 24 bit, 96 k (or 192 k), Hi-Res (Studio) and (Sublime+)

"24 bit, 96000 Hz (or 192000 Hz) (Studio Quality)". Click "OK". In the Sound window click the "Recording" tab.
Under "Default Format" select "2 Channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz (or 192000 Hz) (Studio Quality)". Click "OK".

dropdown box select "HiFI Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi". Set "Sample rate" to 96000 (or 192000), "Bits/sample" to 24, and
"Recording: 96000 Hz (or 192000 Hz) 24 bps 2 ch (Hi-Fi Cable Output (VB-Audio Hi)" to the empty playlist.

In Qobuz, select "Music playing". Under "Listening preferences", "Audio output device" select
"Wasapi (Exclusive mode) - Speakers - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable" or
"Wasapi (Exclusive mode) - Hi-Fi Cable Input - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable".

To play, press the forward button on Foobar first, then select and play a track in Qobuz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions are for Widows 10 and Hi-Fi streaming mode in Tidal.

select "Open sound settings". In the Sound panel click "Sound Control Panel". In the Sound
window click the "Playback" tab. In the Sound window click either "Speakers - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable"
or "Hi-Fi Cable Input - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable". Click "Properties". In the "Speakers Properties" or
"Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format"
select "16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK". Next, in the Sound window
click the "Recording" tab. In the Sound window click "Hi-Fi Cable Output - VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable".
Click "Properties". In the"Hi-Fi Cable Properties" box click the "Advanced" tab.
Under "Default Format" select "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". Click "OK".

In Tidal, select "File", "Settings" from the menu. In the Settings window click "Streaming".
Make sure "Quality" is set to "HI-Fi". Under "Sound", Next to "Sound Output" click "(More settings)".
Turn on "Use Exclusive mode" and "Force volume". Exit window.
Under "Sound Output (More Settings)" click the down arrow to the extreme right.
Select "Speakers (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)" from the drop down box.

To play, press the forward button on Foobar first, then select and play a track in Tidal.

I just want to add that I got the idea for this from this thread on AVForums about Tidal:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/streaming-mqa-using-tidal.2076126/

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to put that all together in such great detail. Really appreciated. I'm inspired enough now to give it another whirl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back