1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308
310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319
Next

Last
  1. Paladin79
    @bcowen do 1958 Foton’s even have ribbed plates? Those are some of the versions you are liking now with new solder correct?

bcowen likes this.
  2. Keno18
    Capt Obvious here, but I think it's time to have the machine looked at. I was able to install it on two different machines. Do you have a 2nd pc to just try to bring it up? If you're not too fed up.

bcowen likes this.
  3. bcowen
    Nope and nope. :grin: None of the '57's, '58's, and '59's in my stash have ribbed plates. All the '51's through '55's do. I think the '56's have ribbed plates, or at least some do (that may have been the transition year), but I don't have any of that year to verify. I've been enjoying the (resoldered) '52 so much that it's been difficult to pull it out for a long-term comparison with the '58. Quick initial observation was that the (resoldered) '58 was very close and maybe just as good as the '52, but I haven't given the '58 a longer term trial just yet.

Paladin79 likes this.
  4. bcowen
    I have a desktop buried somewhere behind the soldering iron, tube bases, and piles of capacitors. Perhaps I can find it back there if I grab a shovel and go to work. Maybe a backhoe would be even faster. :slight_smile: My laptop is a bit long in the tooth (i3 processor), but I put 16 gigs of RAM and a solid state drive in it when I first got it so it's still speedy enough for what I use it for. And it works perfectly with Tidal and iTunes. I shot Amazon a help inquiry...I can't be the only one with this problem. Hopefully they'll respond with a solution. I also just thought about Windows Defender. It may be blocking access unless I add specific permissions for the Amazon program folder. I'll give that a try as well.

5. Keno18
    I'd be interested in hearing what Amazon has to say. I do notice it's got a slow start up time on my 5 or 6 year old notebook.

bcowen likes this.
  6. bcowen
    5 or 6 years old? Geeez. I said my laptop was long in the tooth, not a Commodore 64. LOL!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

ScubaMan2017 and Paladin79 like this.
  7. Ripper2860
    Amazon probably did a quick check of your Tidal playlists and said -"Oh hell no!". :smirk:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Paladin79 and bcowen like this.
  8. bcowen
    ROFL!! And for good reason too. :slight_smile:

But I'm surprised you're even looking at a streaming service. I thought you already had the full catalog of Justin Bieber and The Partridge Family on CD? You must be missing some Spice Girls recordings? :grin:

Paladin79 likes this.
  9. Paladin79
    Superman had his kryptonite, apparently with Bill it is the Amazon HD audio app.

bcowen likes this.
  10. bcowen
    Kryptonite has never bothered me at all. Not sure where that rumor came from... :smile:

Paladin79 likes this.
  11. Keno18
    They don't make 'em like that anymore! 20190923_113216.jpg :beyersmile:

bcowen likes this.
  12. bcowen
    Is the screen in color? :smile::smile:

13. G0rt
    You guys totally crack me up. :deadhorse:

14. Ripper2860
    Laptops are soooo YESTERDAY. Tablets are where it's at!!!

Capture.PNG

ScubaMan2017, bcowen and G0rt like this.
  15. Old Deaf Donkey
    I still use the T1>Vali2 setup. As well, I am looking at streaming, have been using Tidal via its own app. Now, Tidal and Qobuz on roon and Audirvana+, and Amazon for streaming and foobar2000 and Jriver for my files. Completely bewildered with choice. I am leaning towards Amazon HD on its native app, too, and foobar2000 for my files. roon sounds gorgeous but it is a ripoff; Qobuz maybe is better than Tidal, however, I think Amazon is going to further improve and win because it has both numbers in audience and financial means. Once someone writes an extension to stream Amazon HD on foobar2000 I hope to arrive where I want to be. Unless, of course, someone can explain to me why roon or audirvana+ or jriver are worth my money.

ScubaMan2017 and bcowen like this.
First

Back
299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308
310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319
Next

Last