1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300
302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311
Next

Last
  1. bcowen
    Yeah, the extremely low impedance is certainly something to pay attention to with these. They work beautifully with the Lyr 3 and the Vali 2, but that's the extent of my personal amplifier experience with them.

2. Paladin79
    IMG_1181.jpg IMG_1182.jpg
    I may grab some new headphones if I end up with a Lyr and Bifrost 2 as a bedroom setup. I was planning on making a cable for @bcowen but the cat ate that one.

Oh yeah this has the Teco name on it but I believe it is a Sylvania staggered black plate, not a bad sounding tube.

3. bcowen
    Who needs graphene contact enhancer when you have cat saliva available? I'll bet it makes any system purr. :stuck_out_tongue:

4. ScubaMan2017
    Great posts, @bcowen ... @Paladin79 . I'm adding it to my 'research further - 3rd headphone 2020 purchase' folder. My work week's ramping up next week. As I cringe mark my grade 9's science diagnostics... I'll be taking breaks at my listening nook. Since I'm coming/and/going, I'm restricting my headphones amping to my (Magni/Vali) stack. Weekends are for deep Valhalla listening.

bcowen and Old Deaf Donkey like this.
  5. Paladin79
    IMG_1187.jpg I built all cables and two of the boxes, this will allow Jason to switch between four devices and four 6sn7 equivalent tubes, then on into an amp. I figured four Sagas would be best. Everything is kind of crammed together on my desktop right now.

6. bcowen
    Despite my poke in the other thread, those are some really nice looking cables. My compliments!

ScubaMan2017 and Paladin79 like this.
  7. Paladin79
    The cables are kind of bunched up here, I am running all four sets from a Vali 2 and I can check them individually to be sure all shielding is proper.

bcowen likes this.
  8. Paladin79
    IMG_1189.jpg Shown with the finished octal extenders here and some longer sets of cables. @bcowen did much of the work on the extenders.

ScubaMan2017, Ripper2860 and bcowen like this.
  9. TK16
    @bcowen , how do you like the AFC`s? I have the AFO`s myself, quite good, warm and extremely comfortable. May look to buy a closed can in the future as all mine are open and with the portable air conditioner and/or fans in the summer, kind of distracting.

bcowen likes this.
  10. bcowen
    I'm very happy with my AFC's. The sound presentation hits all my preferences right on the money. I haven't heard the opens though, which I would assume sound more, um, open. :relaxed: I needed the closed configuration to ensure continued domestic peace. External noise is not an issue for me, but I can only imagine the bible belt-bred spousal units' reaction at the first notes of Marilyn Manson that floated her way. :relaxed:

I only started with headphones a couple years ago. First pair I bought on Amazon were widely acclaimed as hitting way above their price. They sucked so bad I didn't know if all my years with a full size 2-channel system had poisoned me for eternity or whether the 'phones themselves just sucked. Returned them (thanks Amazon) and got a pair of Monoprice M1060's. Ahhhh….now the clouds were parting and sunlight starting to stream in. Those were quite good 'phones, but I found them a bit boring. Then a friend suggested Mr. Speakers, and I snagged a pair of used Alpha Primes on Audiogon for a good price. A nice step up from the M1060's, and further into "I like this" land. I'd only had those a couple weeks when a pair of the AFC's popped up here on HeadFi. A bit of back and forth with the seller and ended up at a price we were both happy with. The AFC's are another rung up the ladder from the Alphas, and honestly I like them well enough that I haven't had any real urge to reach for the next rung. Yet. But I'm afflicted with the dreaded audiophiliac disease, so it's only a matter of time before my meds quit working.... :relaxed:

Wes S and TK16 like this.
  11. Mr Trev
    Would the reaction be anything like this…
    [​IMG]

Do tell, what were the first ones? I need to know, just in case they're something I like. Then I can disregard all opinions of yours from now on:smile:

bcowen and TK16 like this.
  12. Paladin79
    tube shootout.jpg This is what I am shipping to Jason at Schiit for the 6sn7 equivalent tube shootout September 12th. Most likely he will use Saga's but it is feasible he can set up Lyr 3's and use pre-amp and headphone outs if he likes.

13. Keno18
    Just set up my vintage Technics SL-D1 turntable circa 1980. Still works perfectly after a couple of decades of non-use. The Vali likes vynl.:dt880smile:

ScubaMan2017 and Old Deaf Donkey like this.
  14. bcowen
    Well, at the risk of offending someone that may have them, I'll spill the beans:

upload_2019-9-3_19-56-27.png

Seriously, they were the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's. If you like bass, they would be THE 'phone to have. Midrange, treble? Um, not. I think their true frequency response was like 30 - 400 Hz. :slight_smile:

Old Deaf Donkey and Paladin79 like this.
  15. Paladin79
    OMG say it is not so Joe, um I mean Bill.

If you had told me I would have taken up a collection and got you something more listenable.

bcowen likes this.
First

Back
291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300
302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311
Next

Last