Vali 2 tube rolling
Aug 31, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #4,486 of 6,436
Wow. So they're right up there with your Bose 901s, K-tel turntable, and GE 6201 tubes. That's really saying something! :smirk:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #4,488 of 6,436
Wow. So they're right up there with your Bose 901s, K-tel turntable, and GE 6201 tubes. That's really saying something! :smirk:

301's. How many times do I have to tell you it's the Bose 301's. 901's are way too much for my wallet and more than I could ever hope for. But my 301's are still better than your Yorx all-in-one system, although I am missing the built-in 8-track player. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #4,489 of 6,436
Yes said it was a one-of-a-kind TOTL Marantz when you sold it to me. :unamused:

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #4,490 of 6,436
Yes said it was a one-of-a-kind TOTL Marantz when you sold it to me. :unamused:

Did I grind off the Yorx logo? Can't remember. But I do remember buying a new Koetsu with the $2500 you paid me for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #4,491 of 6,436
Aug 31, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #4,492 of 6,436
I notice you did not specifically state GE 6201s are quite good.
No not my cup of tea, perhaps @bcowen can give his expertise on the GE 6201. My experiences with 6201's are the not as good as GE Hamburg 6201 PW and Mullard Mitcham 6201 Just by name alone the GE's are better. At least that is what someone told me in PM.

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #4,493 of 6,436
No not my cup of tea, perhaps @bcowen can give his expertise on the GE 6201. My experiences with 6201's are the not as good as GE Hamburg 6201 PW and Mullard Mitcham 6201 Just by name alone the GE's are better. At least that is what someone told me in PM.

Yes, you should definitely consider replacing all that European junk you have with genuine GE's. Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll consider doing a 1-for-1 swap. But only for you, and only 'cause I'm such a nice guy. :slight_smile:

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #4,494 of 6,436
Yes, you should definitely consider replacing all that European junk you have with genuine GE's. Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll consider doing a 1-for-1 swap. But only for you, and only 'cause I'm such a nice guy. :slight_smile:
Sure looking for a pair of D-getter GE.......... C A2900 and the 12AU7 variant as well, think it is B329 or something.

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #4,495 of 6,436
For $400 I will personally build you two such cables and throw in an ounce of unicorn sweat. But seriously I have experimented and can get decent distances beyond 15 feet using quality products I trust.
These photos & builds take my grade-9-high-school-science-curriculum, gaze at Ohms Law (and factors that affect resistance), and say,... meh, I can do better. Love it!!!!

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #4,496 of 6,436
I haven't heard the Ethers or Audeze so can't offer any comparison. I will say that I loved the AFC's at first listen, and that hasn't changed a bit. I look at other 'phones every now and then, but the AFC's join a very short list of audio stuff I own (or have owned) that give me no real urge to think about upgrading.
Good information for me, thanks. According to store photos, the AFC (AeonFlow Closed) have a similar cup shape as a Senheisser HDxxx, right? Does the bottom sit on your jawbone? Do your ears graze the inside speaker screens?
Do your ears hang low,
Do the wander to and fro,
Can you tie them in a knot,
Can you tie them in a bow.... etc. etc. etc. Christ almight.
Sorry, @bcowen . I roasted up some fresh coffee last night and am way too wired up. I'll go audition them & make my own decisions.:)

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #4,497 of 6,436
These photos & builds take my grade-9-high-school-science-curriculum, gaze at Ohms Law (and factors that affect resistance), and say,... meh, I can do better. Love it!!!!

I always reach a point where the money involved just does not justify the difference in SQ. You have to do a lot of talking to convince someone to spend a lot of money for little if any results. Tubes do have differences, some are more obvious than others but once again is there a $200 difference and can you consistently tell one from another? Once you get down to a Sylvania Bad Boy and Ken-Rad black glass, the differences probably become less obvious and I need to A/B such things. For someone to listen to one, then another is not so easy. I was once told it can take a couple minutes for your ears to adjust to the new sound but I forget where I heard that. :smile_phones:

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #4,498 of 6,436
Good information for me, thanks. According to store photos, the AFC (AeonFlow Closed) have a similar cup shape as a Senheisser HDxxx, right?

Well. kinda sorta. but different. :relaxed: Most of the Senn HDxxx's are more of an elongated oval from the pictures I've seen (never had any of them myself). The front edge of the AFC's is pretty much a straight line up and down. According to Mister Mr. Speakers, it's made to fit closely to the natural straight line indention most people have between their temple and bottom of the jawbone to offer the best seal.

upload_2019-9-1_8-59-6.png

Does the bottom sit on your jawbone? Do your ears graze the inside speaker screens?

The bottom is *at* my jawbone, but doesn't really sit on it, per se. And my ears are close to the inside fabric covering the workings. I can feel them touch at times when I put the 'phones on, but once in place they don't touch. I would find it pretty irritating (personally) if my ears were rubbing or touching the inside panels. There are two types of tuning pads that come with them that filter certain frequencies. Those are basically just placed inside the cup, and with either of them in place I *can* feel my ears touch at times. I've tried them both, but prefer the sound without them so they've never been a factor from the 'touching' standpoint. I find the AFC's to be very comfortable, and have had them on many times for 6 - 8 hours straight (excluding an occasional removal for a 'fridge or bathroom run) without ever a hint of discomfort. Of course everyone's head is different, so any opportunity to try before you buy should certainly be taken advantage of.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #4,499 of 6,436
Well. kinda sorta. but different. :relaxed: Most of the Senn HDxxx's are more of an elongated oval from the pictures I've seen (never had any of them myself). The front edge of the AFC's is pretty much a straight line up and down. According to Mister Mr. Speakers, it's made to fit closely to the natural straight line indention most people have between their temple and bottom of the jawbone to offer the best seal.

The bottom is *at* my jawbone, but doesn't really sit on it, per se. And my ears are close to the inside fabric covering the workings. I can feel them touch at times when I put the 'phones on, but once in place they don't touch. I would find it pretty irritating (personally) if my ears were rubbing or touching the inside panels. There are two types of tuning pads that come with them that filter certain frequencies. Those are basically just placed inside the cup, and with either of them in place I *can* feel my ears touch at times. I've tried them both, but prefer the sound without them so they've never been a factor from the 'touching' standpoint. I find the AFC's to be very comfortable, and have had them on many times for 6 - 8 hours straight (excluding an occasional removal for a 'fridge or bathroom run) without ever a hint of discomfort. Of course everyone's head is different, so any opportunity to try before you buy should certainly be taken advantage of.
I nearly bought the Aeon Flow but the impedance is an issue for me. I would need to change out one of my favorite headphone amps to put them to much use. :)

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #4,500 of 6,436
….and say,... meh, I can do better. Love it!!!!

That's exactly what drove me to try my hand at USB cables. That turned into a miserable failure. :relaxed: However, I have made my own interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords, and while some have turned out better than others, I've been quite pleased with the results.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-1_9-35-33.png
    upload_2019-9-1_9-35-33.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back