Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Dec 24, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #586 of 907
   Thats a bit tough to call.

On one hand, tubes are usually preferred for extra warmth and smoothness. The stock tubes definitely add that, and my HD600's are now capable of sub-bass as well.

On the other, the stock tubes are very bright in the upper-mids..similar to my magni 2 uber(solid state). It makes voices very clear..but sometimes too bright/sharp. This may be where the 'SS-like' opinion comes from. 

If I can find a set of tubes that tame those upper-mids and keep everything else the same, it would be perfect. Its not a huge problem..I love the stock tubes, just nitpicking.

I never use EQ also, for what its worth.

making the hd6xx series open up its sub bass sounds really promising.
lack of sub bass is the main issue i have with these phones out of my current source.
i hate to say this but i actually prefer my k701 for electronic over my hd650 out of my m9xx most of the time.
for me my k701 and hd600 gets the most time on my head.
i haven't tried my dt880(600ohms) yet.still unopened from its box .
trying to find a day where i can have some serious listening.
how is the valhalla2 different from valhalla1 in terms of sound?
is there a thread or post somewhere that compares them? i can't seem to find it.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #588 of 907
i looked around alot of places for sound impressions of the valhalla 2 and im finding reviews way too varied to the point where it sounds like they're talking about different amps. someone said it sucked the bass out of his hd650, some say the sound is too thin sounding. someone said its very muddy sounding. some guy said it made his hd6xx series sound compressed. others say it increased the soundstage dramatically. some say its way too bright. there are people who says it tightened its bass and increased sub bass. why are the reviews and sound impression so varied for this particular gear? usually its something similar like how some say dt880s are way too bright for them to handle and some say its emphasis on treble makes cymbals crash and guitars crunch sound really clear. but the valhalla 2 is way too varied in reviews to the point that it seems like they're talking about different amps. im about to receive my valhalla 2 soon and im a bit worried.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #589 of 907
  i looked around alot of places for sound impressions of the valhalla 2 and im finding reviews way too varied to the point where it sounds like they're talking about different amps. someone said it sucked the bass out of his hd650, some say the sound is too thin sounding. someone said its very muddy sounding. some guy said it made his hd6xx series sound compressed. others say it increased the soundstage dramatically. some say its way too bright. there are people who says it tightened its bass and increased sub bass. why are the reviews and sound impression so varied for this particular gear? usually its something similar like how some say dt880s are way too bright for them to handle and some say its emphasis on treble makes cymbals crash and guitars crunch sound really clear. but the valhalla 2 is way too varied in reviews to the point that it seems like they're talking about different amps. im about to receive my valhalla 2 soon and im a bit worried.

Ein.  Good, you're getting one and can decide for yourself.
Zwei.  There will be varying opinions about everything, from headphones to space exploration.  Not all of them are right.
Drei. The actual correct opinion on the Valhalla 2 is that it is one of the best headphone amps for its price in the world.  For a tube amp, it has very little if any of the old-style tube weaknesses.  Yet it improves on the character of old-style transistor weaknesses.
Vier.  There's actually a pretty good consensus on its quality and sound, I think.  There will always be outliers, but this is an admired amp in general.  
Fünf.  See #1.

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #590 of 907
EinZweiDrei, what amp and DAC are you currently using? Would like to hear your impressions of the Valhalla 2.

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #591 of 907
  EinZweiDrei, what amp and DAC are you currently using? Would like to hear your impressions of the Valhalla 2.

my current sources are graces design m9xx dac/amp. matrix m stage amp. and hrt music streamer 2 dac.
im not very good at making impressions. the valhalla 2 will be my first tube amp when it gets delivered.
so i can't really compare it to my other amp since its a solid state. im planning to run mainly my hd650 and hd600
out of the valhalla 2 when i get it. the dac will be the m9xx. RCA out from m9xx set at unity gain to valhalla 2.
when it comes to sound impressions i find comparisons more reliable than just plain reviews. but if reviews have comparisons
or examples then even better. i just like having a familiar base sound to measure other sounds.
but i don't find my hearing to be very reliable though.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #592 of 907
  Did you still order the Genalex Gold Lions? I'm thinking of getting a pair of those too.

Unfortunately I cannot find many impressions or input on how they sound vs stock valhalla 2 tubes.

Yes, I am using them now. 

Versus the stock ones the biggest noticeable change for me has been the tightness of the bass. 
When playing classical music with a lot of kettle drums the sound is very different. It is tighter and more powerful. 
There is also a bit of extension in sub bass. When listening to Bach I can feel the flutter off the pipe organs a bit more. 
I wont be changing back to stock now :)

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #596 of 907

what year did you purchased your hd650 from? there are version differences in sound.

I am having two newer versions for now. I sold a very older version a few year ago. These two newer sound more transparent than the older one, and these two newer sound slightly different from each other. I bought one of the newer one here used with grey box, but the newest one from a online store last year whose box is black.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #597 of 907
since im new to tube amps, theres this one issue im worried about.
tubes have a finite life span like most electronics.
what happens if one of your tube dies on you when you have headphone plugged in and music playing?
is there a way to predetermine when a tube is about to reach the end of its life?

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #598 of 907
  since im new to tube amps, theres this one issue im worried about.
tubes have a finite life span like most electronics.
what happens if one of your tube dies on you when you have headphone plugged in and music playing?
is there a way to predetermine when a tube is about to reach the end of its life?

A sudden death does happen, but the amp's sound usually becomes bad, then to worse, then the tube dies ...

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #599 of 907
I have had other tubes blow on my monoblocks but always when powering up. It always created a horrible noise, so I would just shut it down with a quickness, but it was always was from too much voltage. The Valhalla 2 has never blown a tube on me yet. Their self bias let's the tubes have a long life in comparison to some other gear.
Don't worry about it and enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back