Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Dec 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #575 of 907
How are the stock tubes? Decent? Or is it better of swapping them? Someone here mentioned the bass being a bit boomy. Which tubes would you recommend to tame it down a bit and have a neutral sound presentation. Im planning on running hd650, hd600, dt880(600Ω), and k701 when my valhalla 2 arrives.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #576 of 907
How are the stock tubes? Decent? Or is it better of swapping them? Someone here mentioned the bass being a bit boomy. Which tubes would you recommend to tame it down a bit and have a neutral sound presentation. Im planning on running hd650, hd600, dt880(600Ω), and k701 when my valhalla 2 arrives.

Recent new valhalla 2 owner here. Been using it with HD600's and the bass coming from the stock tubes is very satisfying (coming from magni 2 uber). Every song on this setup feels like it has proper weight, and..feeling (one might say emotive).

If anything, they are a tiny bit bright. Not sure if I would call it boomy. I would say meaty..or correct amount of bass. 

I don't feel the need to change tubes at all, but this is my first tube amp so...I cannot speak of alternate tubes.

Instant tube convert here...and loving it
normal_smile .gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #579 of 907

Yeah, I've raised a ticket with them already. 

I guess I'll have a spare for the future. 

Gosh when you go valve amplifier solid states sounds terrible :frowning2:
Solid state does sound good for some types of music I guess - I guess I'll need two amps then!

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #584 of 907
  So issue resolved..

On high gain mode the hiss was present, I switched to low gain and its completely gone. 
So using low gain and the 11-12 o clock position for volume :)

Very happy!!

Did you still order the Genalex Gold Lions? I'm thinking of getting a pair of those too.

Unfortunately I cannot find many impressions or input on how they sound vs stock valhalla 2 tubes.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #585 of 907
  what? isn't the val2 suppose to be very solid state like for a tube?

Thats a bit tough to call.

On one hand, tubes are usually preferred for extra warmth and smoothness. The stock tubes definitely add that, and my HD600's are now capable of sub-bass as well.

On the other, the stock tubes are very bright in the upper-mids..similar to my magni 2 uber(solid state). It makes voices very clear..but sometimes too bright/sharp. This may be where the 'SS-like' opinion comes from. 

If I can find a set of tubes that tame those upper-mids and keep everything else the same, it would be perfect. Its not a huge problem..I love the stock tubes, just nitpicking.

I never use EQ also, for what its worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back