VAHALLA 2: What Type of Headphones To Get Open Back, Closed? Then Cables!
Nov 23, 2017 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thrill Killer

Head-Fier
This is my first foray into a discreet HP setup.

I was recently able to get a Valhalla 2 for a c-note LNIB. Anyways, What type of phones to use with it? It was a On A Whim purchase. I wasn't looking to build a HP setup. It just kinda happened.

I need advice for the amp. For those who have one. Is it preferable to have a Open, or Closed back phone? Also, the listening position will be approx 10ft away. Adding the height of my audio rack where the amp will be, and my head height as I sit on the couch. I figure around 13'ish feet over all. Custom Cabling will be a must. Or, a Custom length extension cable?

The main source will be a MacBook. With music in Applelossy. Whether I connect Mac-Val, or Mac-Pre-Val remains to be seen. I also will listen to Vinyl. Hence the Pre mention. My only Phones are Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. Which I've had for awhile. I haven't hooked up the Val-2 yet. And new Phones will be purchased. The M50x will be used to establish a baseline

Any Advice-Tips-Links, etc will be appreciated!

Pre-Amps: Marantz AV7702 (HT only) MacIntosh C36 (TT set up. HT Pass Thru only)

Amps: MacIntosh MC2205 L/R (HT-TT) MacIntosh MC30 C Emotiva XPA-3 Surr

Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40's L/R Motion 8 C Motion 4 Surr SVS PB-1000 Sub

Turntable: Technics SL-1200MK5 w/Goldring 1006

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 10
Usually high impedance headphones work best with tube amps. Open backed are usually better than closed unless you need the isolation of closed back (if the room is noisy or you don't want people hearing your music). I doubt the M50x would sound particularly good on the Val but you never know! What's your budget for headphones? The HD650 is a good pick for tube amps and I like listening to records with the 650. The intimate soundstage brings out the emotion in vocal tracks and its a great experience.

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 10
I need advice for the amp. For those who have one. Is it preferable to have a Open, or Closed back phone? Also, the listening position will be approx 10ft away. Adding the height of my audio rack where the amp will be, and my head height as I sit on the couch. I figure around 13'ish feet over all. Custom Cabling will be a must. Or, a Custom length extension cable?

I'd be more concerned about the impedance of the headphone than if the back of the earcup has a mesh or a solid panel. As much as the Valhalla2 has a low output impedance for an OTL amp, it's still an OTL amp, and its output impedance is too high compared to most solid state, hybrid, and transformer-coupled tubes. At the same time, being OTL, it makes the most power at 300ohms than at 32ohms, so if you use a 62ohm or 35ohm headphone with 93dB/1mW, it won't work as well as a 300ohm, 98dB headphone that has higher impedance that works with it on top of higher sensitivity.

Look into the Sennheiser HD660S - 150ohms, 98dB/1mW sensitivity.

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 10
Usually high impedance headphones work best with tube amps. Open backed are usually better than closed unless you need the isolation of closed back (if the room is noisy or you don't want people hearing your music). I doubt the M50x would sound particularly good on the Val but you never know! What's your budget for headphones? The HD650 is a good pick for tube amps and I like listening to records with the 650. The intimate soundstage brings out the emotion in vocal tracks and its a great experience.

I PTT on the MassDrop for the Senn HD6XX a few hours ago. Only $200!

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 10
I'd be more concerned about the impedance of the headphone than if the back of the earcup has a mesh or a solid panel. As much as the Valhalla2 has a low output impedance for an OTL amp, it's still an OTL amp, and its output impedance is too high compared to most solid state, hybrid, and transformer-coupled tubes. At the same time, being OTL, it makes the most power at 300ohms than at 32ohms, so if you use a 62ohm or 35ohm headphone with 93dB/1mW, it won't work as well as a 300ohm, 98dB headphone that has higher impedance that works with it on top of higher sensitivity.

Look into the Sennheiser HD660S - 150ohms, 98dB/1mW sensitivity.

The Val-2 has a Low/High Gain Switch.

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm still hoping to hear from some current or past Valhalla-2 owners about their experiences with this amp.

This is going to be my "Starter" Set-Up. My journey begins here. The learning will be fun.

Nov 24, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 10
Nov 24, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 10
The Val-2 has a Low/High Gain Switch.

Gain is not the same as power delivery - an OTL amp on high gain will not flip its power delivery to max with a 32ohm load than 300ohms.

Thinking it does is like thinking that changing transmission settings on a Ferrari in Forza Motorsport will miraculously give it the torque of a Corvette. You're not pulling out of corners better with throttle steer on taller gears because that setting changed the torque curve, you're just revving the engine faster and getting to the meat of its powerband faster (on a real car without those semi-auto clutch mechnisms as on F1 shifter cars, you also have to heel blip the throttle more, since conventional manual trannies don't automatically do that).

That doesn't change the output impedance, so low impedance cans won't sound as good as they should

In some amps it does, it's just that in the case of OTL amps, even if it does, so far none will have the low output impedance of a proper transformer coupled or SS/hybrid amp, on top of which, typically low gain will have lower output impedance, so you have lower power and lower gain (no problem for a Grado in a quiet room though thanks to their high sensitivity).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back