VAD show in the Netherlands
Oct 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BigJohn

100+ Head-Fier
While visiting the VAD show in Veldhoven, The Netherlands today I tried the Ultrasone Edition 9.
VAD stands for "Verenigde Audio Dealers = United Audio Dealers" and is a yearly (?) show where the different dealers can show their newest equipment.
I found the Ed 9 and had a listen to them.
I can't remember the amp that was used but the source was a Nokia...
What a dissapointment that was!
The sound was muffled, way to bass heavy, and lacking allmost completely any highs...
I don't know if someone else had a chance to listen to the Ed 9 on the showbut man this was no good thing for Ultrasone...
redface.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 13
Well I have to correct a couple of things. (I visited and listened as well, since I was an exhibitor during the show.)

The control unit was a Nokia N800, it was not the source. The source was a Naim NS02 music server controlled by the Nokia.
The amp used was a Naim headline and power supply NA-PSC.

I agree that the ED9 can sound better but I disagree that it sounded bad.
A matter of opinion I guess.

What I do think is that a show as the VAD is principally a wrong environment and timing to give any final judgement on a headphone like the ED9 as for that matter to judge any equipment to its fullest during such a show.

If you are ever in the neighbourhood I will take the challenge if you want to give it a second chance, be my guest. I am sure you will think differently although you still might not take the ED9 as to be 'your' favourite HP.

Rgds Hans
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 13
I hear you brother!
smile.gif

Sorry I didn't see you there by the way!
Where you there on sunday..?

The Naim server did a far better job at a recent demonstration here in Terneuzen at Echo Audio then...

Maybe my comments above are not as clear as what I intended to say... (it's been a while since I was writing in English...)

I am darn sure the Ed9 is able to sound way, way better!
It has to 'cause it really didn't impress me at all!

And for the record Naim is a favourite brand of mine so the expectations where high!

All I'm saying is: at exhibitions the sound allmost allways is dissapointing...
But on the other hand...
It shouldn't be so with headphone listening...

But on the bright side of things.
I was listening to Mr. Eric Clapton and Mr. B.B. King's "Riding with the King" and I couldn't help nodding my head to the music wich made my mate who was with me laugh a little.
So not all's lost!
smile.gif

I got this one on the show:

Bought it after listening to the new Focal Utopia "Diablo"
(What a great speaker that is!)

Mighty Sam McClain - " Keep On Movin' "

Boys this is a XRCD by JVC, and it sounds GREAT!
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 13
Too bad you did not like it, or perhaps thats a good thing (for your wallet).
/me have never heard it, but would like to some time.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 13
It should be a very nice HP.
It's just a shame that the first time I had a chance to listen to it wasn't what I expected...
frown.gif

Maybe next time I can "fine tune" my opinion!
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While visiting the VAD show in Veldhoven, The Netherlands today I tried the Ultrasone Edition 9.
VAD stands for "Verenigde Audio Dealers = United Audio Dealers" and is a yearly (?) show where the different dealers can show their newest equipment.
I found the Ed 9 and had a listen to them.
I can't remember the amp that was used but the source was a Nokia...
What a dissapointment that was!
The sound was muffled, way to bass heavy, and lacking allmost completely any highs...
I don't know if someone else had a chance to listen to the Ed 9 on the showbut man this was no good thing for Ultrasone...
redface.gif

I owned the ED9 for a couple of months and despite very extensive listening (with top-end source and Rudistor RPX-100 amp) I had in the end still the same general opinion of them as you describe here...

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the ED9 for a couple of months and despite very extensive listening (with top-end source and Rudistor RPX-100 amp) I had in the end still the same general opinion of them as you describe here...

Oops...
wink_face.gif

Once more it looks like we agree on something!
biggrin.gif

I just thought maybe in different circumstances...
frown.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 13
What I do think is that a show as the VAD is principally a wrong environment and timing to give any final judgement on a headphone like the ED9 as for that matter to judge any equipment to its fullest during such a show.

If you are ever in the neighbourhood I will take the challenge if you want to give it a second chance, be my guest. I am sure you will think differently although you still might not take the ED9 as to be 'your' favourite HP.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 13

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamon003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure under different circumstances the Ed9's will shine!
wink.gif

I must admit that I mostly listen to loudspeakers these days...
My RS2 just hangs unemployed on the audio rack...
And the MF X-Can keeps it's valves "warmed up" for nothing really....
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Ohhh shoit I missed out on the VAD! I was thinking about looking up their date a couple of times but forgot to do so. Oh well, more luck next year
wink.gif

Sorry to hear about your experience with the ED9, John. I still love mine to death but everybody has different ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh shoit I missed out on the VAD! I was thinking about looking up their date a couple of times but forgot to do so. Oh well, more luck next year
wink.gif

Sorry to hear about your experience with the ED9, John. I still love mine to death but everybody has different ears
smily_headphones1.gif

I was dissapointed to say the least...

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was dissapointed to say the least...

Yeah, I can imagine. Maybe mine is just the best out there and you'll love it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back