Vacuums for cleaning hifi gear?
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
My Dyson does a great job in the house but it is not set up for tight spaces.

Can anybody recommend a vacuum with a hose and brush attachments that can get in tight spaces like stereo shelving?

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 13
It sucks that nobody responded :p

Oct 3, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Oooh, a thread with a chance for a terrible pun... I'm in!

Which Dyson do you have? We have one of the cordless and it came with a (very) soft brush attachment that is very friendly to hifi racks.

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es966709 - much softer than it looks!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 13
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 13

The problem seems to me that the inlet on the brush is angled and that causes the whole thing to be taller than I would like. Ideally it would seem a brush with a 90 degree angle with the inlet right on top of the brush housing would give the most clearance.

I don't remember the model of my Dyson. It's one with a cord and the base is rather like a bowling ball. It's really good as an all around vacuum for house cleaning as expected, but not so good for cleaning equipment and tight places

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 13
Oct 4, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 13
I use a compressor to blast the dust, rather than a vacuum cleaner.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 13
I use a compressor to blast the dust, rather than a vacuum cleaner.
I agree with this but you need clean air. I bought some "canned air" from the local electronics chain online and I received some cans of petroleum distillates marked "compressed air for cleaning electronics." Also present were WARNING, FLAMMABLE signs. This doesn't seem like clean air :p

Even people who have compressors often don't realize they should use filters when spraying out equipment because compressor oil is present in the air. Ideally, get some source of clean air, take the gear apart, take it outside, and blow it out.

2nd option is ESD vacuum, which I'm gonna look into. But the question was really about cleaning around the equipment in shelves etc. I didn't write it very clearly.

Jan 18, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 13
I have sprayed 6000€ computers like that on a daily basis, it is ok for audio gear my dear. Audio gear are not satellites. I know you think it is nasa stuff, but it is not. Just keep the compressor clean. Empty it every 12 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back