Vacuum tube repair
Oct 31, 2008 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gollie

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a used Brimar CV1988 and it came in yesterday. I sounds great but the glass has some give in it. It does not shake or anything but the glass can be wiggled on the base.

Can I Gorilla the glass to the base, or is there another procedure that I should follow. As I said, the tube works perfectly. I just want to make sure it stays that way and keep the wiggle from getting worse.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I've used super glue in a couple spots around the tube between the glass and base before. Not sure if its a good idea or not but in my case I had no problems and the tubes continue to work.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 13
Just use a glue that can take the heat...a silcone sealer of something might do the trick. Also, make sure there are no cracks or chips in the glass, or any weak points that can cause vacuum loss.

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 13
I've left a few loose ones alone. I don't tuberoll and rarely move my gear. If it's not going to move much, you could safely leave it as it is.

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I think i'll leave it alone. It is the Black base version of the CV1988 and I don't want to mess it up.

I'll leave it in the amp and keep the movements to a minimum.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 13
Yeah, ultimately I'd just leave it alone. Sucks though because tube rolling is one of the fun parts!

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll leave it in the amp and keep the movements to a minimum.

I'll be sure to give it a good tug by the glass when I come over to listen to it.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be sure to give it a good tug by the glass when I come over to listen to it.
evil_smiley.gif

Still waiting on shipping notification from Mikhail. I will let you guys know when everything arrives.

It should be a pretty nice set up once it is all said and done.
atsmile.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a used Brimar CV1988 and it came in yesterday. I sounds great but the glass has some give in it. It does not shake or anything but the glass can be wiggled on the base.

Can I Gorilla the glass to the base, or is there another procedure that I should follow. As I said, the tube works perfectly. I just want to make sure it stays that way and keep the wiggle from getting worse.

I thought I had one of these tubes, and I think I do. Mine is a Brimar 6SN7GT "Made in England". On top it has "4K4 383". Are they the same tube?

Funny thing is that the base on mine was loose and I used 3 small drops of super glue. Still working fine!
biggrin.gif

BTW, how good are the Brimar supposed to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back