Vacuum cleaner review
Jan 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there a dedicated site on vacuum? There are lots of users out there and it's huge market. I am sure there' are forums and reviewers out there somewhere talking about this stuff.

$500 for Dyson, it better be good and I need more convicing. We are mainly looking for something to use on carpets and the occupants are allegic to dust and especially to cat dander.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 24
I got a Dyson for my birthday last year. My brother got it off of ebay, brand new and not B-stock, for considerably less than retail.

I'm sure there are probably some vacuum cleaners out there superior in all areas, but I've been extremely pleased with the performance I have received from mine. I have both a cat and a dog and this thing sucks their hair out of the carpet like no other. I had an Oreck prior to the Dyson and there was no competition between those two. I did a back to back test on them one day, vacuuming my place with the Oreck first. Spent an exaggerated amount of time using the Oreck slowly and going over every area like 4-5 times in order to make sure I was getting everything. Then I went back over my place with the Dyson and filled up almost half the canister with extremely fine dust and a whole lot of pet hair that was embedded so deep in the carpet that the Oreck was struggling to pull it out. I ebay'ed the Oreck shortly after that and have never looked back. I really love not having to buy vacuum bags anymore as well.

I'm eager to see where this thread goes with the recommendations. For some reason, I'm always a sucker for a good vacuum cleaner.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 24
This thread sucks
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 24
We bought a Dyson 6 years ago. It does exactly what we were told it would do and it does it very well. Our dog is very shaggy and when his hair gets long enough, he sheds big tufts all over the place. The Dyson picks then up as if they weren't even there. Plus its light enough to work well for my mother and my sister. It is also the 2nd longest lasting vacuum cleaner in our household ever, which says a lot considering we came back to the US in 2001, and in our first year here, we went through 3 vacuum cleaners that completely died on us (Dust Devil and Hoover models), before I finally convinced my parents to go with this one.

My mom is only just now thinking about replacing it with a new vacuum, and the only reason she's thinking of this is because the robotic roomba is really starting to appeal to her.

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 24
We got the Dyson (the first one, the Yellow one) remanufactured so it was cheaper than retail, and it's a great vacuum. Just as good as a brand new one, basically. The amount of suction power it has is really impressive. In fact, for doing rugs, it's actually too much suction (will get sucked into the roller, make a bad sound). The extender arms and attachments work absolutely seamlessly and are just as powerful as any canister vacuum I've used, if not more.

Overall, I'd say it's an investment that you can't avoid. The Dysons are just simply superior to other brands.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 24
Watch out for the Kirby salespeople:

Kirby Vacuum Salesperson Recruitment

They want crazy money for their vacuums and aren't entirely on the level.

I've come to prefer shop vacs as of late, particularly the Fein. I have tile and hardwood floors, so it's more about sweeping and mopping than vacuuming. I only vacuum when there's a small area that needs it or to clean up a small pile I've swept.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 24
We have a Dyson handheld vac. Excellent, only handheld we have had that works.

Cheers
Simon

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsione1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a dedicated site on vacuum? There are lots of users out there and it's huge market. I am sure there' are forums and reviewers out there somewhere talking about this stuff.

$500 for Dyson, it better be good and I need more convicing. We are mainly looking for something to use on carpets and the occupants are allegic to dust and especially to cat dander.

Good Housekeeping and Consumer Reports is a great place to see how they suck (or don't).

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 24
Last I was vacuum shopping, Consumer Reports methodology didn't include any metrics for how much dirt is actually removed from a floor/carpet. Or for suction. They rate on ergonomics, fit, noise, price, etc. Like buying a pair of headphones for how well they keep your ears warm...

I personally use an Electrolux Oxygen. It is very convenient and compact, does an excellent job...but I have very shallow pile depth on my carpets. For a thicker pile, I imagine it is not heavy duty enough.

The Dyson vacuums do have great suction, and it is nice to quit worrying about bags/filters. However, be aware that they are prone to having motors burn out (happened for 2/4 Dyson's I'm familiar with).

For pets, thick carpet or large homes...I'd go with the Dyson.

Might be worth checking out the various Dyson clones...they're easy to find now (look for "cyclonic" versions from Kenmore, etc)

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 24
I have a 9 year old Miele Platinum Canister vacuum. It still works, and I always love how quiet (relatively speaking, of course) it is.

I never bought into the bagless concept. Such a mess to clean up sometimes. And you always have to empty it outside, unless you like kicking up dust back into your home.

-Ed

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've come to prefer shop vacs as of late, particularly the Fein. I have tile and hardwood floors, so it's more about sweeping and mopping than vacuuming. I only vacuum when there's a small area that needs it or to clean up a small pile I've swept.

My Shopvac is a Fein. Also happens to be one of the quietest of shop vacs. (notice a trend here?)

I love that it works with sanders, routers, etc. as a dust collection system as well.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back