Vacillating Neophyte Seeks Someone Who Knows What They Are Talking About
Apr 2, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #31 of 45
So college decisions came in today and I am SO getting the Shure e5c's!

Parents are ecstatic, (I am in a state of shock, probably will hit the ecstatic state somewhere in the next few days) that two of my three reach schools said yes. The third school though, is not a fan of this newfangled technology we have going, and has just sent out their decisions today by post. But at this point, I could care less. Also, I am getting really nice financial aid packages. Heck, if I am saving my parents some $35,000 a year, audio nirvana for $350 shouldn't be a problem.

So now I just need to figure out if the Iriver 550 is the best portable cd/mp3 player (since parents are feeling VERY generous right now). I already have a pretty decent CD player (Sony DEJ1000) but I am looking for a machine that can play mp3s as well.

etysmile.gif
(Since there is no "Shure" smile) and good college outcome= very happy newbie.

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #32 of 45
congrats analyticchick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by AnalyticChick
So now I just need to figure out if the Iriver 550 is the best portable cd/mp3 player (since parents are feeling VERY generous right now). I already have a pretty decent CD player (Sony DEJ1000) but I am looking for a machine that can play mp3s as well.

You should ask around, E5c has noise issues with some portable CD players.. (as well as a lot of other things)... I think you should try to get your parents to get you an iPod
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #35 of 45
Lindrone's right; if you only need MP3 support, go for the ipod. Classy, powerful, good capacity etc., It's a good little player.

And, you can just rip your CDs onto it, and never have to worry about them again.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #37 of 45
But I like CDs! I really like tanglible, circular objects. Seriously, I like having other people put together albums for me instead of scrolling throught hundreds of graphical representations.
Methinks then that I should stick with a cd player. Generally speaking, is the DEJ1000 considered a good one? Would the Iriver give me better sound quality?
Thanks again.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by AnalyticChick
Generally speaking, is the DEJ1000 considered a good one? Would the Iriver give me better sound quality?

generally the d-ej1000 doesn't get too much love around here. the d-ej2000 actually does get some measure of respect though.
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=37854
that thread is kind of more than you probably ever wanted to know. i don't know how the iriver stacks up.

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #39 of 45
better till get the iriver IHP-140
It has super battery life and also has recording options built in on the player which would help with all the boring lectures happening out there.
there's always one of those. plus there is nothing like listening to lectures and just fast forwarding where it starts to drag.
I did that with my MD player.
It was great.

Congrats, have fun.
BTW where did you get in?

cheers
Kunwar

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 45
So that third school came in today, and they want me as well. So, having gotten into every college I applied to (which I still can't figure out why), I feel I earned those Shure e5cs.

But to lay off the excessive self-grandizing, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the Iriver 550, or could direct me to a site where I could find out about cd/mp3 players or just any cd player which could do justice to the Shures.

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #41 of 45
I think I saw it referenced earlier in this thread regarding the E5's, get a portable amp. There are many quality builders that spend time on Head-Fi who build quality amps at a fair price. My iPod and E5's would not sound the same had I not purchased a HeadRoom Total AirHead. As others have mentioned look for a portable CD player with a line out. This one little addition will have a large impact on the sound quality.

Jester

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #42 of 45
E5c is hella sensitive... probably the mechanical movements of a CD player will be picked up by your phones...

SlimX 550 is great for functionality, but I wouldn't know about quality... Just get it for the hell of it...

Apr 4, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Sczervok
E5c is hella sensitive... probably the mechanical movements of a CD player will be picked up by your phones...

Precisely, you may want to visit the portable forum and see if anyone's got any idea and experiences with their E5c and other CD players.

Apr 4, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugano-san
I am currently using Ety 4Ss directly plugged into the headphone out of my iRiver iMP550. That headphone out is powerful enough to drive the 4Ss to sufficient volume until there is more money for an amp available (in fact I used to have a Xin Supermini with this combination, but ended up selling it because it was unnecessary).

More precisely, I have 4Ps with the P->S adaptor, but I have ceased using them in the original 4P configuration. In my view there is no reason to get 4Ps; they don't sound as good as the 4Ss. Haven't tried any of the Shure models yet.

The great thing about the combination of iMP550 and Ety 4S is that you can boost the deep bass of the iMP a little (or a little more, like me) and that makes up for any perceived lack in bass that the Etys may have. Result: They sound "more musical". At the same time, the Etys' attention to detail is retained.

sugano-san,
sure, you may not need an amp with the imp550 and it's okay to use the 4s, but we're talking about a lot of power here. for most portable, ipod included, the headphone amp is not nearly powerful enough for the 4s. i know my 2g ipod isn't. that's when the 4p is nice to have. at home it's all 4s, but the option of the 4p is great.

Apr 4, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #45 of 45
if you are going to go and get the shure then might as well get an Iriver IHP-140 . It rocks
If it is a little out of range get the IHP-120(20 gig) model .
this is one super player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back