Vacillating Neophyte Seeks Someone Who Knows What They Are Talking About
Mar 29, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Sczervok
and thoroughly wash them when you're done.
biggrin.gif

YIKES!!! don't do that! I suppose if they are concerned about it and you haven't bothered to clean your ears you might get them some new tips.

Anyway, I have only tried the ER4s personally but found them to be very comfortable (using the foam tips). I really enjoyed them, the isolation is VERY good and they sound awesome. The only problem is that the iRiver that I have can't drive them. If you're getting these, you're going to need an amp, otherwise get the 4p.

Mar 29, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #17 of 45
The Etys are great, but understand that they are not for everybody. Many don't have any comfort issues with them at all (luckily, I am one of them), but a some people do. You have to try them, be patient, but ultimately be ready to return if you cannot get used to the fit.

On an unrelated note...

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
The people reviewing them are paid, and therefore aren't necessarily enclined to do the best job, as the reviews here on Head-Fi.

Surely the fact that they get paid can't be the reason they are not doing to the best job! It's untrained ears, I suspect. I'd also recommend that anyone reading reviews here take them with a grain a salt, because the reviewers hear are NOT getting paid, and don't always have an incentive to do the best job. Plus, you have to contend with people's emotional attachment to their purchases. The lesson? Try before you buy -- or with Headroom (and others?), try after you buy.

Mar 29, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by AnalyticChick

I download at what I can get, which is mainly 128. Is there any point in encoding it up to 192 if my source material is what it is? Most of my CDs are store-bought, but since they are from China, probably pirated. When I do get a chance to work with better source material (e.g. ripped from a VCD or DVD), I like my songs at 192.

If you are talking about making 192k form original 128k mp3's don't bother. The data in the 128k mp3 is lost forever in the encoding. You can't retrieve what isn't there.
If you were talking about re-encoding from the original CD (if not pirated) then it might be wise to look around the the portable forum here at head-fi. There's a lot of info about how to encode best. What software to use at what settings etc.

Mar 29, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #19 of 45
I haven't heard shure's but after having heard the Ety's I reckon i will never buy another canalphone unless someone gifts me a shure E5which i don't think will ever happen so ety's for me.
plus they are extremely well priced now.
They have fantastic support and on nice recordings they rock.
but beware of poorly made recordings as you will probably dump the recording much before you ever think of dumping your phones. Buy the ety 4P and p-s converter.
if you ever feel adventurous enough buy the shure E5 but right now they do not entice me at all.
Hmmm... ety's and DT 531 , I am happy....
etysmile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 45
To clarify a little bit about my situation regarding piracy and bitrates and whatnot:
Most of my Chinese music, about 90% or more I would say, is composed of CDs that I bought from various music stores around New York City. All of my English music, of which I have much less. is original. My Chinese CDs also look like the original - what with the packaging, production seals, shrink wrap and other such embellishments. The only reason I would ever suspect piracy is because piracy is a big problem in China nowadays and I know that I have no way to tell a pirated CD apart from a non-pirated one.
However, I have never had any problems with my music quality. Then again, I don't do anything with my CDs except listen to them. Thus, I am not sure how to re-encode or anything of the like.
But will getting a high end pair of headphones ruin my music collection?
confused.gif
I thought that buying all of my music (versus downloading) would mean that I wouldn't have to worry about my source material. But apparently not.

In other news, I think that I am leaning towards/will probably get the Shures for their non-microphones, musicality, portability and the fact that my ear probably couldn't appreciate the Etys anyways.

In any case, thanks to this thread and the forum in general for providing such great information and advice about the subject. I will definately keep you posted on the current quest to find a pair of decently priced Shures.

Thanks again.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

I know that I have no way to tell a pirated CD apart from a non-pirated one.

Chances are if you had purchased them at NYC it's original China released CD. While not quite as good as releases from Taiwan/HK/SGP it's still not bad. Pirated CD from China usually have an ugly fake print-on and are usually gold/purple CDRs, not silver.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #22 of 45
Not to make the choice any more complicated than it already is, but I hear that the new braided cord that comes with Etymotics reduces microphonics by a huge degree. Also, do keep in mind that as time goes on, you'll surely gain some aural acuity which would help you appreciate your purchase more.

As for re-encoding, I would honestly reccomend that if you're putting tracks from original CDs onto this portable player, that you do re-rip them to a high bitrate.

Re-encoding MP3s to a higher bitrate, however, only makes them sound worse, since all it's doing is compressing them again.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #23 of 45
Another thing you might notice over time... If you have some good English albums.. with good equipments, you'll notice a *Huge* difference in production quality between English albums and Chinese albums.

The producers in Asia really are still behind their western counterparts in terms of understanding and knowing how to do production well. I think out of all of them, Japan is probably the best, then followed by probably Korean, then Taiwan/HK (they're about the same... well, they share all the same music mostly anyway).

Very much like they're behind in film production as well (technologically speaking).

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #24 of 45
I don't think Asia is behind at all!! Japan is notoriously known for their quality and definitely respected more than their equivalent western releases. Most chinese pop CD also has lots of impact and clips less than western pop. Hey, the worest 2 newly released CD I have are Norah Jones, so much for great production skills.

What's wrong with the film production anyway?? haha Check out Wong Kar Wai and some anime.

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino
while i have not heard the e3c, i do have the ety er4p/s and continue to be amazed by their performance. it really is like getting two phones in one - 4p for portable and 4s for home/amp listening. and believe me, you WILL end up getting an amp somewhere down the road.

I am currently using Ety 4Ss directly plugged into the headphone out of my iRiver iMP550. That headphone out is powerful enough to drive the 4Ss to sufficient volume until there is more money for an amp available (in fact I used to have a Xin Supermini with this combination, but ended up selling it because it was unnecessary).

More precisely, I have 4Ps with the P->S adaptor, but I have ceased using them in the original 4P configuration. In my view there is no reason to get 4Ps; they don't sound as good as the 4Ss. Haven't tried any of the Shure models yet.

The great thing about the combination of iMP550 and Ety 4S is that you can boost the deep bass of the iMP a little (or a little more, like me) and that makes up for any perceived lack in bass that the Etys may have. Result: They sound "more musical". At the same time, the Etys' attention to detail is retained.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 45
I wouldn't say that asia is behind.Where do you think all the gaming consoles come from , Japan, where are most if not all the consumer electronic items made, Asia I believe.
To say a CD is poorly matstered very uch depends on the quality control exhibited by production companies.
Hell the best Electrostatic speakers in the world are made in India ( check out something called the Cadence Arca)

So it is wrong to say that cd's are poorly matered. I am yet to hear any difference in the Buddha Bar CD's made in US and India. I mean they are as sonically similar as possible.
Maybe somebody would want to do some sonic tests to discern how good the recording is

Quality is very subjective as well
what might be good for some is not the best for others.
It all depends on experiences.
I have heard music of LP records which could never have justice done to it if recorded on CD"s.
the soul just disappears

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #27 of 45
Alright. So after some more consideration, I think I may be leaning towards the Shure e5c.
Yeah, that wallet is totally going out the window and I blame this forum. The graphical interpretation would be:
Head-fi forum =
evil_smiley.gif
to the
very_evil_smiley.gif
th power

Anyways, there are some factors involved in this change of heart/increased ambitions:
1) Ebay has listings of the E5c at $369 plus overnight shipping. That is just fricking amazing consider everyone else is selling it for $500. It is generally easier to convince parents to buy "just a little over $350" headphones as opposed to "$500" headphones.
2) College decisions. Out of the seven colleges I applied to, I have already gotten good news at four of them. The last three (Ivies), I will know about tomorrow. If I get into one of them, that would really make my parents really happy and more generous in spending a lot of money to gratify their child's audiophilic aspirations.
3) I realized that I never recieved a seventeenth birthday present. Combined with this graduation present, the "Hey! You got into a good college" goodwill, and my generally not needing any more financial outlays this year, I think I can pull it off.

And if I can get the Shures, they will help to make my portable player of choice look downright cheap by association!
Forget about borrowing for college. I just need loans to finance my music habit.

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

And if I can get the Shures, they will help to make my portable player of choice look downright cheap by association! Forget about borrowing for college. I just need loans to finance my music habit.

You got that right! I've spent nearly as much on audio equipment as I have on books for class, and as you'll find out (or already know) books aren't cheap!

Good luck on getting into a college!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

And if I can get the Shures, they will help to make my portable player of choice look downright cheap by association!
Forget about borrowing for college. I just need loans to finance my music habit.

and you'd be the envy of all head-fi geeks.
tongue.gif

no head-fier is going to sway you from spending more money that's for sure!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Anyways, there are some factors involved in this change of heart/increased ambitions:
1) Ebay has listings of the E5c at $369 plus overnight shipping. That is just fricking amazing consider everyone else is selling it for $500. It is generally easier to convince parents to buy "just a little over $350" headphones as opposed to "$500" headphones.

mate

get them from Idealsound, excellent dealer, great service plus they are sponsors too. as far as getting a decent CD player goes get a sony which has a real line out .cos' believe me if you have decided after 6 posts to get the shure E5 then by the time the 50th comes you will have porta corda and a big plaque on your back saying Headphile freak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back