Vacillating Neophyte Seeks Someone Who Knows What They Are Talking About
Mar 28, 2004 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

AnalyticChick

New Head-Fier
Greetings from a newbie,
Thanks to the wonderful cultural phenomenon that is the graduation present, I now have the opportunity to build for myself a quite pleasent quasi-audiophilic sound system. After some (extensive) words of wisdom from the almighty Internet, I thought I was prepared to construct The Perfect Portable Sound System or at least a good fascimile. For I would first get a CD/MP3 player, with the iRiver SlimX IMP-550 seeming to be the universal pick. Based on my profitable earlier relationship with Sony (Love my DEJ-1000 CD player, pity it doesn't play those MP3s), I settled on a nice set of portable speakers (Sony SRS T55) that look really cool to boot.

And then I came to the headphones.

After doing a heck of a lot of reading on the subject and since I was being subsidized in this, my first foray into high-end headphonery, I decided on a pair of in ear canal ones. After all, there's no shame in going for the best. First, I was sold on the Shure E2. But then I came upon a review which proclaimed the E1/E3 incarnation the king of the Shures. And from what I could dig up on the subject, the reviewer seemed to be right. After all, the E3 were a new product with plenty of buzz about the amazing sound quality, clarity, comfort, and so on. Not being a devotee of throbbing drums, I was less concerned with the caveat of an inferior bass expressed at CNET and other places.

And then I did some comparison shopping.

Okay. So I could get the E3 for $180, but then I could also get the Etymotic ER-4S for $220. In all the reviews I had read, the 4S seemed to be in an entirely different strata than the E3. Thus, the Internet was telling me, I could buy the really high-end headphones (as opposed to just the high-end ones) for $40 more. Well, thought I, if I'm going to be spending ~200 on my headphones already, I (or more transparently, my financial backers) might as well go that extra mile.

And then I discovered this forum.

Suddenly, there were so many people so knowledgable on the subject talking about analytical versus musical, clear versus fun, more detailed versus more comfortable. To make matters worse, some people loved the Shures, some the Ety, some both and some just going on about their "Grado" or "Sennheiser".
What was a newbie to do but make the plunge and register so that she could post up this long and convoluted story asking for guidance from the audio masters.

So the basic quandry boils down to this:
Are the Ety 4S $40 better than the Shure E3? Heck, are they better in general?

Although this site has a lot on the Ety line, it is alarmingly stolic when it comes to Shures. Also, since the E3 just launched a few months ago, ther is not as much print on it as the Ety. But based on personal experience, what would you recommend?

However, I will just end by state that two years ago, I was wowed, and am still very satisfied by the sound quality on a pair of $20 Koss UR-20s (closed ear). So am I just splitting hairs in that I will be much more wowed at whatever high-end pair I get?

In any case, thank you very much beforehand and for any advice you can provide.

Mar 28, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 45
welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

hmmm... i'm guessing you don't plan to use an external headphone amp. i'm a decent ety fan, never heard the shures. i think the shure's are less picky about amping but i could be wrong. the ety er-4s especially seems to need some decent amping or the bass is probably going to be too anemic for your taste. ety er-4p was made for portables without the use of an external amp but i'm sure you knew that already. also i think that the trend seems to suggest that etys are more about a true and analytic sound while shures err on the side of a more fun enjoyable sound. whatever that means.

someone correct me if i'm way off here.

but anyways...

edit: oh yeah, what kind of music do you like. (please don't say everything but rap and/or country
tongue.gif
)

Mar 29, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 45
Let me preface this by saying that I haven't heard any of the 'phones you listed, save for the ER4(P), unamped.

That said, the general consensus around here is that it depends on preference. Shures are said to be involving rather than analytical, while the Etys tend to be analytical and extremely detailed.

If you go by what's said in here, then yes, the Etys are $40 better than the Shures. But take into account the differences in character between the two, and make sure you know what you want. Before I tried the Etys, I thought I was a fan of an analytical sound, despite my love for my Grados, but when I finally tried them, after being wooed initially by the detail and isolation, I quickly realized their downsides: a lack of bass (in my opinon), and a lack of musicality. Some people find them musical enough however, and you might be one of those people, if your chosen username is any indication
wink.gif

I should note though, that the ER4S doesn't do too well without an amp, and if you don't plan on getting one right away, you may be better suited by buying an ER4P and then the P->S resistor cable later down the road when you buy an amp. Which you will eventually do if you stay here long enough
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry 'bout the wallet.

EDIT: Also, either of these will bring compression artifacts found in MP3s and other lossy formats to the forefront, but *probably* the Etymotics more so. What quality do you encode at / download, if you don't mind my asking?

Mar 29, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 45
what it really comes down to, and you probably already know this, is whether you want FUN or DETAIL.

If you want fun, get the e3's but if you want detail get the etymotics.

If you want to fall in love, get the e5's.

Good luck and let us know what you choose to buy.

Mar 29, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by AnalyticChick

However, I will just end by state that two years ago, I was wowed, and am still very satisfied by the sound quality on a pair of $20 Koss UR-20s (closed ear). So am I just splitting hairs in that I will be much more wowed at whatever high-end pair I get?

In any case, thank you very much beforehand and for any advice you can provide. [/B]

SlimX... good choice.

Sorry I can't help with the headphone decision, not having heard the ones you're considering. That said - both the Shures and the Etys are light years beyond the UR-20. You are gonna be seriously WOWED.

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 45
If you arent going to be using a headphone amp, I'd recommend going with the Etymotic ER-4P which are more equipped to run out of portable devices, not to mention that if you so desire, a cable can be purchased later which will convert them into the ER-4S. Regardless, I commend you for having such a coherent and straightforward first post.

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 45
I have owned both the Etymotic ER4S and the Shure e3c. People always bring up the musical vs. analytical argument.

I found the e3c to provide little detail and have a huge mid-range hump. Yes, it is musical, but to be honest, it is overpriced for $160. They are also fairly sibilant.

The ER4S sounds simply beautiful. All of the well recorded music I play sounds absolutely wonderful. Everything is balanced and detailed. I haven't yet heard any grating sibilance (as I did with the e3cs), even with fairly sibilant recordings.

When it comes down to choosing, you will be seduced by the supposed musical signature, the comfort, the lesser microphonics, and the cool looks of the e3c. Don't let this impact your decision. The sound quality of the ER4S is MUCH better than the e3c.

Get the real deal. You wont be happy with the e3cs.

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 45
I'm in a similar situation. I've been pondering the ER4p and E3 for nigh on two months now, and have yet to commit despite dozens of hours of research. However, I have made some observations.

I have actually spent quite a bit of time listening to a friend's ER4p/s on a variety of gear, and the only reason I haven't purchased it is microphonics. Cable behind the ear or not, I found microphonics significant even when shuffling around in my seat. While moving around without the cable carefully restrained (I guess I could tape it to my torso or something) microphonics were unacceptable in my humble opinion. I have read the E3 is more subdued in this respect, but is less applicable as a stationary unit. I have no first hand experience with the E3.

Each unit seems appropriate for a specific set of tasks. I found bangraman's comparison to be especially helpful in this regard.

Should you decide on Etys, heed TimSchirmer's advice on the 4p. In my experience with both p and s, the 4p is unquestionably superior for portable devices.

Edit:

Quote:

When it comes down to choosing, you will be seduced by the supposed musical signature, the comfort, the lesser microphonics, and the cool looks of the e3c. Don't let this impact your decision. The sound quality of the ER4S is MUCH better than the e3c.

Unless you're looking for things such as comfort or use while moving. Analyze your needs (and source/amp situation) before committing, and only use reviews/opinions/comparisons you may find to apply each earphone to these needs.

Edit Edit: fixed stuff

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 45
Wow. I must say that this is the most responsive board I have ever had the pleasure of joining. And everyone is so friendly! Apparently, this is not the part of the Internet that is going to hell in a handbasket.

Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

oh yeah, what kind of music do you like. (please don't say everything but rap and/or country
tongue.gif

Well, the wallet right now is more like the parents' wallet, but the point is duly noted. I mainly listen to Chinese pop music. In English, I like musicals, Clay Aiken (who is sorta a musical in and of himself) and the occasional haunting instrumental (ala LOTR soundtrack).

Quote:

Originally posted by reeseboisse
Also, either of these will bring compression artifacts found in MP3s and other lossy formats to the forefront, but *probably* the Etymotics more so. What quality do you encode at / download, if you don't mind my asking?

I download at what I can get, which is mainly 128. Is there any point in encoding it up to 192 if my source material is what it is? Most of my CDs are store-bought, but since they are from China, probably pirated. When I do get a chance to work with better source material (e.g. ripped from a VCD or DVD), I like my songs at 192.

So after reading through the replies, I looked up our friend the Ety ER-4P. Over at CNET I read that:
Quote:

The Etymotic ER-4P is the ultimate travel aid for frequent flyers or train commuters, and we found these headphones more comfortable than the Shure E3c, though those with smaller ear canals may prefer the latter.

This is good to hear as I felt myself being drawn to the Etys as is. However I distinctly remember the majority of posts on the Shure versus Ety debate here on this forum plugging the Shures as more comfortable than the Etys. Since these 'phones will accompany me on a few international flights, as well as innumerable commuter hours in the next five years (at which point I get out of college and start emptying out my own wallet), I am concerned with comfort levels. Does anyone have both pairs, or have chance to experience both pairs? What would you say was more comfortable?

Thanks a lot!

Erm, anyone still there? See, that was supposed to be the end of my message, until I clicked "preview reply" and it revealed two more responses to my original query. Taking those into account, and bagraman's awesome review, I may be more inclined to the Shures for their portability and comfort. These headphonese would be my main form of communing with my music whether at home or traveling, but I might have more occasion to use it when moving than when sedentary. However, I also have CNET, a respectable name in knowing what they are talking about, recommending the Etys for comfort and just givnig it a higher (8.7 versus 8.0)score in general.

Sigh. So I guess I have definately lived up to the "vasillating" part of my self-description.

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 45
Well, as for re-ripping music and encoding it to a higher bitrate, that would be your choice once you get the headphones. If you think the difference between bitrates is worth the extra space taken, then go for it.

Regarding comfort, I think it's mostly a personal thing with these, as everyone's ears are shaped differently, and the size and shape of the canal (along with skin sensitivity inside of it) really determines the comfort level that you'll be getting. Although the Etys do supposedly go deeper into the ear than the Shures, and that's a feeling some find a little weird.

Off topic, but was it Cnet who a while ago had that ridiculous ER4 vs. E5c vs. QC2 review written by Forbes? Not too sure, but if so, take what they say with a grain of salt. Or a whole bag in this case. That review was sort of funny, in a sad way.

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 45
If your new canal phone is to be used strictly for mp3@128/192 and pirated China CD(China original is ok) then IMHHHHHO it's a total waste of money.

People strictly into portable gear often fail to realise how extremely detailed and MUSICAL the etys can be. Paired with a bad source(yes, my sony dej2000 is considered CRAPPY) it would sound harsh, grainy and unmusical, a total waste of good money.

Often the best isn't the best at all.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by reeseboisse
Not too sure, but if so, take what they say with a grain of salt. Or a whole bag in this case.

Certainly good advice. From an audio enthusiast perspective, I would trust the findings of senior head-fi members well before that of CNET.

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 45
while i have not heard the e3c, i do have the ety er4p/s and continue to be amazed by their performance. it really is like getting two phones in one - 4p for portable and 4s for home/amp listening. and believe me, you WILL end up getting an amp somewhere down the road. some thoughts:

microphonics: use the shirt clip and microphonics aren't a problem. also, i rotate my earplugs 180 degrees so the stems are facing up, which reduces microphonics around the head.

size/comfort: i have small ear canals and the etys do become uncomfortable after long periods...but, you can also use many different attachments like the foamies or tri-flange, but also various shure foamies and flex sleeves that come in different sizes. comfort shouldn't be that much of a problem.

good luck with the purchase!

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 45
No offense to you AnalyticChick, or anyone (except maybe CNET):

Quote:

However, I also have CNET, a respectable name in knowing what they are talking about, recommending the Etys for comfort and just givnig it a higher (8.7 versus 8.0)score in general.

I wouldn't trust CNET reviews worth my life, they are not are specialized review site, and reviews are very lacking detail and clarity. The people reviewing them are paid, and therefore aren't necessarily enclined to do the best job, as the reviews here on Head-Fi. Sure they may not be endorsed, but any site with sponsors and ads has much more sway than a consumer reviewing the headphones for the greater benefit of the community. Plus, here on Head-Fi, you get to know the personalities and traits of those reviewing the cans, therefore you know what to lookout for in the review. I don't know about you, but joe schmoe over at CNET probably has no where near the experience of say EdWood or lini (just to name a few) who easily have tried almost every headphone on the planet.

Check this thread for example: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=3

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 45
If you move up to better phones, you must move up to better source files. You had better get your hands on some real CD quality stuff...

Personally, I've just started to detect all the defects in 128 kbps mp3 files, and I'm using crappy stuff like KSC 50s, and MX500s. Obviously, what you're looking to buy is 10 times as expensive as what I am using. 192 mp3 is kindauva bare minimum. (and with those phone, you'll be begging yourself to reencode your entire music collection to something higher once you're ears have attuned themselves yet again)

Ety? Shure? I have no clue... havn't tried either of them. Sure E5C does 'seem' to be the ruling king of canal phones (correct me if I'm wrong), but they are 250% of what you would be looking to pay for...

You know of any people, friends, co-workers, that have the e3c, or the Ety phones? You could ask them nicely to try out these phones and thoroughly wash them when you're done.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back