V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
May 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #316 of 394

There is a second thing that the frequency response doesn't show, which is equally as important (in my mind) and that's time domain stuff.  You'd get that in a square sine wave or a CSD. 

Thats good to know because i too found it quite useful. I used the same website to give me that curve at 500 and 50 Hz. Interestingly, i used those waves to buy the XS. Very few headphones south of $200 had such a good response. 

May 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #317 of 394

i dunno if i agree with this graph.. as on ears like the m80s and the xs have trouble sealing

there seems to be quite a boost on the bass compare to the m100s and even the m80s =0 and the treble peaks a bit earlier along with a bit more upper mid- upper midrange presence 

hm.... anyone else wanna chime in?

Personally to me, that's kinda weird. I'm most likely wrong about this as I'm not that great in reading FR charts but compared to my ears, it almost looks to me the M-100 & XS graphs seemed to be swapped.

May 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #318 of 394

Personally to me, that's kinda weird. I'm most likely wrong about this as I'm not that great in reading FR charts but compared to my ears, it almost looks to me the M-100 & XS graphs seemed to be swapped.

Holy crap, I looked at that graph wrong :p  I was reading the blue one as the M-100, and red as M-80...  Yeah...  Um, Wow...  I need sleep :p  It's official...  And finals fried my brain :p 

May 7, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #319 of 394
Further to what i wrote earlier, in my earlier post, I sent a link for the relative frequency response which gives an idea about how the bass is relative to the mids and treble for THAT headphone. Hence, the data is 'compensated' if you will.
In links 2 & 4 below, its the same headphones but how they should really sound to your ears, i.e., the raw sound at all frequencies. These plots might be more agreeable to some folks.
Thoughts?

1) Relative frequency response of V-Moda XS, M80 and M100
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=4333&graphID%5B1%5D=4001&graphID%5B2%5D=4011&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

2) Raw frequency response V-Moda XS, M80 and M100 (no compensation/alteration OR as is)
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=4333&graphID%5B1%5D=4001&graphID%5B2%5D=4011&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=30&graphType=-2&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

3) Relative frequency response of XS, NAD VISO HP50, ATH-M50x and Thinksound TS01
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=4333&graphID%5B1%5D=4283&graphID%5B2%5D=4313&graphID%5B3%5D=2491&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

4) Raw frequency response of XS, NAD VISO HP50, ATH-M50x and Thinksound TS01 (no compensation/alteration OR as is)
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=4333&graphID%5B1%5D=4283&graphID%5B2%5D=4313&graphID%5B3%5D=2491&scale=30&graphType=-2&buttonSelection=Update+Graph 

this post above might help. I posted it earlier but I think it got shuffled somewhere

May 8, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #320 of 394
Hi guys, just a heads up, me and another reviewer have received the new XS and will be doing a written review for audio360.org in the near future. In the meantime, I'll be uploading my personal impressions onto my YouTube channel within the next couple of days. Overall, I think the XS builds off what the original M80 accomplished and brings some well done tweaks to the form factor and the overall sound signature. Kudos to Mr Kolton for building an even better mousetrap.

As the Italians would say...

Ciao Bella..............

May 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #321 of 394
  Hi guys, just a heads up, me and another reviewer have received the new XS and will be doing a written review for audio360.org in the near future. In the meantime, I'll be uploading my personal impressions onto my YouTube channel within the next couple of days. Overall, I think the XS builds off what the original M80 accomplished and brings some well done tweaks to the form factor and the overall sound signature. Kudos to Mr Kolton for building an even better mousetrap.

As the Italians would say...

Ciao Bella..............

Cool. I look forward to it. I like audio360.  

May 9, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #322 of 394
Copied and pasted directly from the description section of my YouTube video

Over two years ago Val Kolton, the CEO of V-Moda, sent me his then recently released M80 Crossfade on ear mobile headphone. He sent it to me, and others, free of charge in exchange for a review noting the pluses and minuses of his new product. It was my very first official review for a company and the online community of head-fi. Unknown to me, two plus years later my rants and ravings over gear have yet to stop. In my mind it was Val Kolton and his M80 who started me down this path of pseudo armchair audio gear reviewer.

The XS isn't a new product but a tweaked product that builds off the already solid performance of the original M80. The form factor has been improved by the addition of  the M-100's foldable hinges thus making the headphone even tinier then before. Because of its even tinier size its carrying case has also shrunk making the XS probably one of the most least space demanding headphone for mobile use currently available on the market.

With improved form factor we also now have improved sonics. While the original M80 may have been overly polite and soft in the highs the new XS brings in better extension and sparkly highs all the while retaining its smooth fluid character and avoiding the metallic tinniness lesser headphones are known for. Because of better highs the headphone now sounds better balanced and the sound stage seems to have expanded a tiny bit more in comparison to the original M80.

Major kudos and much respect goes out to Mr Val Kolton for taking our group feedback from over two years ago and quietly going to work behind the scenes and building an even better mouse trap. Considering Mr Val Kolton's family is of Italian ancestry all that's left to say is.....
BUON LAVORO IL MIO UOMO!!!

May 12, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #323 of 394
May 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #324 of 394
May 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #327 of 394
If you read his review on the m-80s you can see that he is very thrilled about them. I'm sure his reaction to the XS will be similar, if not better.

Yeah I know, I am however, fairly low on funds and tyll's review will do it I think..I asked him on inner fidelity and he said that the review should be out this month so a little waiting is in order

May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #328 of 394
I had vomdas iem, lp, m-80s, and now i loving my m100, When is vmoda ever going to make a bluetooth headset, the technology is better nowadays? I bet vmoda could make a great headset!

May 15, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #330 of 394
+1 to that!..a wireless vmoda headphone would be excellent!

Val Kolton, CEO - V-MODA has said in previous posts he will never make a wireless headphone. Wireless degrades sound quality and is so much fussier than just a wire.
Take the wire out, where's the volume control? Think logically.
V-M will never put batteries in their produce. Therefore, above are your answers to a wireless headphone by V-MODA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back